German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting a GS puppy next week, and we have fencing around our yard (30 feet) and are nervous about him digging out. Any suggestions for how to secure this or train him not to dig?? Thanks!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Are you leaving a brand new puppy in your backyard alone?

Most here would agree that this is not a good idea for the pup.

Anyway, for older dogs you can always run a score of bricks or a concrete pad around the edge of the fence. Best Friends Animal Society does this where their runs are.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I would never leave a dog or puppy unattended out in your yard for any length of time to begin with. Unless you have big gaps under the fence, he shouldn't even be thinking about digging under it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I would never leave a dog or puppy unattended out in your yard for any length of time to begin with. Unless you have big gaps under the fence, he shouldn't even be thinking about digging under it.
My dog in Idaho never even thought about digging under our fence. She liked to make potholes in the middle of the yard to step in!!! :wild: And she did it while she knew I was watching her!

I did not ever fathom a thought to leave a pup in a yard alone.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
My husband and I both work so we're not at home for the day, so should we crate train while we're gone?
Is there any way possible that someone-- you, your husband, or a neighborhood kid-- could let the dog out in the middle of the day, at least for the first month or so?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I would never leave the pup alone in the yard. For one, I have a lot of roses in the yard, young pups likes to chew on anything and everything. Either me or my husband is there out with him to watch what he's doing.

I spent a lot of money, time and energy on my roses/garden, there's no way I will let them get trashed by anyone. We have a 6 ft fenced yard too.

Is there a way someone could take care of him during the day? Doggie day care?

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
My husband and I both work so we're not at home for the day, so should we crate train while we're gone?
Yes, please. That's much too young to leave out alone. He will sleep all day in his crate, anyway.

But he will not be able to hold it all day. You will need to come home at lunch, or make an larger environment with an x-pen, or confine him to a space where he has a place to pee.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I possibly could come home at lunch, although it's a 30 minute drive. The fenced area is pretty large 30 feet x 18 feet x 30 feet. No trees/flowers, etc. We live on 8 acres (so no neighbors) and we've designated this half shaded, half sunny spot for him. Any thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Absolutely crate train him while you're at work...it works so well and it's not cruel..eventually it becomes their "safe place" and they go in for naps on their own.It won't take long before you can leave him alone out of the crate. Do not leave him unattended outside particularly when he's young. If you're in the country you have to watch for coyotes, etc. too!! I never leave my dog outside alone...if you take your eyes off them for a second...who knows...like kids! People steal them too!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Crate training is the way to go for sure. This will prevent your puppy from developing any bad habits. If he starts digging while you're gone at work- you cannot correct it and it will become an issue.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I wouldn't leave him out all day while you were at work-as other have said crate train have somone let him out or dog day care

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
When Luna was a pup, I would take my lunch break at 10-10:30am and come home to let her out. Hubby would then take his lunch break at 3-3:30pm to let her out. We both work approximately 35-40 minutes from home. It was very inconvenient, but fortunately did not last forever.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I wouldn't worry about digging until it becomes a problem. I only have one dog who digs and she doesnt dig to get out, she digs to pull at roots and God knows what else. As others have said do not leave a little puppy outside unattended until it is older, bigger, and you know how it behaves outside.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Little puppies are so defenseless. I'd be worried about thieves, mean kids, coyotes. . .heck, we have somebody's escaped pet python living in our shop and the cornfield behind it. It could eat my puppy!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Crating the pup would be my recommendation. I understand the issue of having to travel between work and home mid-day (it's a 20-25 minute trip for me so I end up being at the house for 10 minutes to let my pup out, play a few minutes, etc). If you are unable/unwilling to make the trip home mid-day to let him out of a crate, it may be that right now your current situation is just not suited to having a puppy.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I'd really talk to your neighbors too. You might have a stay-at-home mom, somebody who works from home, or somebody who works odd hours that might be willing to let your puppy out.

I let my next-door neighbor's dog out every weekday for 2 years. I was coming home for lunch every day anyway, so I'd let their pup out and he would play with mine for an hour. I never asked for pay and they never gave me any, although I got nice gifts at Christmas and my birthday. :D

You might be able to make an arrangement like that with one of your neighbors.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts