German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at young dogs and pups. I prefer the long coat variety. I know it is considered a conformation fault here in the USA. But not overseas. The GSDs pictured on some sites have very oversized ears! This too cannot be conformation acceptable. Is that correct? The ears are erect as they should be, but way too big. Does anyone know why? And where is this trait coming from? I prefer old style, straight backed dogs. Not dogs that are roachie and walking on their pasterns. If anyone has incite into the ear size please help by posting your impression/opinion.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
What do you consider oversized ears? Are the dogs adults? Puppies often look like their ears are too big for their heads because they need to finish growing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I am referring to adult dogs with ears that are too tall. They are erect but IMO oversized. I am unsure if it specific lines or just a personal preference etc.

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
without a photo of what you consider oversized ears.... i don’t think anyone can really answer your question. i have not noticed the trend you speak of.

·
Registered
31,579 Posts
Maybe the problem lies in an understanding of the standard? Or the sites you are looking on as you are looking for "old style, straight backed dogs" which is a marketing term for oversized dogs out of standard. All shepherds are supposed to be angulated per the standard. So if you are looking at larger, "old style", dogs I can envision their ears looking large to be proportional with their bodies.

Just surmising....

Reactions: PMBO29

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Some dogs ears are bigger than others, they come in all different sizes. I think all the standard says about size is they should be in proportion to the skull. (and that's pretty subjective)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts