German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a simple question to breeders with websites. In the few breeders I've looked into, there seems to be an abundance of SchH pics on their websites of their dogs. Typically, it's SchH only- no herding, flyball, agility, S&R, etc, etc photos.

Is this because most breeders will use SchH as a test for breed worthiness, and therefore that is their main focus area? GSDs can do a lot more than SchH and all these breeders often state on their websites that the dogs should be able to succeed in all dog sports.

So just curious- why is there often a lack of "other" dog sport pics on breeders' websites? Is my assumption correct that breeders tend to focus on breed worthiness tests like Schutzhund?

...this is just a curiosity question- nothing more.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I ask because, let's say I want to find a breeder for my next agility star. It would be great to see how the breeder's dogs are doing in agility. I might be able to extrapolate based on their SchH success, but in the end it would be great to see agility stuff. Or herding. Or flyball. Or, you know, whatever your dog sport of choice is.

I'm sure the breeder might have pics of their progeny that are not published on their site. But again, my question is generally speaking- why don't we seem many pics like this on the sites? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Good question. If I had a website, you would only see pictures of my dog doing obedience. She has puppies doing Schutzhund and others are pets. If it were me, I would put as many different pictures as I could. Showing the versitilty of the breed. If the websites are from working lines, then to promote the working ability, people feel the need to validate them in Schutzhund.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
On my site, you'll see nothing but stacks, however, if you asked me, I have TONS of pics and videos of my dogs herding, doing agility, obedience, etc that I'd happily share with you.

I actually really dislike websites that have tons and tons of pictures on them. It slows loading time, and, IMO, makes the breeder seem almost unfocused (even if what they're going for is to show the versatility of their animals).

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
Well, I think it has more to do with the fact that no breeder has time to do everything, every sport. :whistle: That doesn't mean they don't produce dogs that would be great for Agility. Our Tara produces puppies that would make AWESOME agility dogs because they are so fast and agile. But even though I used to compete in Agility I have no time for it at the moment. :( Maybe once I get back to doing it, we'll be able to post pictures of our GSDs doing Agility. :)

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On my site, you'll see nothing but stacks, however, if you asked me, I have TONS of pics and videos of my dogs herding, doing agility, obedience, etc that I'd happily share with you.
This is the answer I pretty much expected. With so many people using sources like social media and the internet in general for doing research and making purchasing decisions though, I still find it interesting that the websites are not more diversified. I'm not saying in any way that I would not look into a breeder because they only show SchH pics and I wanted to do flyball- that would be silly. But I can tell you that if I was down to two breeders and all other things being equal- one of them had flyball success stories on their dogs listed on their website- I would absolutely look into that one first.

I have no doubt that any reputable breeder could supply plenty of info about their dogs in the various sports. I just think it's odd that, well, they don't (on their website).

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, now that I think about it, I could ask one of our Tara puppy buyers for Agility pictures with Cara. :D Good idea! Thanks!
Actually, Carolina, this is exactly what I was talking about. I am sure most hobby breeders don't have the time to do a million things with their dogs- granted. I assumed though that the pups they produce go off to do a fairly diverse amount of things. And my understanding is that the offspring of a breeding pair can often be more showing of what you might get (obviously) than the breeding pair themselves.

For me, seeing what the pups are doing and accomplishing would be a huge factor in my decision to even pursue the breeder to begin with. Especially if I am not overly interested in the same dog sport that the breeder is into.

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
The problem is that we rely on the puppy buyers to send us pictures and some of them are not as camera-crazy as some of us. :whistle: :D Plus not everyone, unfortunately, stays in touch. We do keep in touch with one of Tara's puppy buyers that is doing Agility with her girl. I will try to ask her. I have considered keeping one of Tara's pups for myself just to do Agility with but I just don't have the time right now. :(

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I just think it's odd that, well, they don't (on their website).
And I go back to "look at the websites that look so cluttered", lol. If I listed everything I did just with STRAUSS on his page (pics and all), #1, it'd cost me a mint for all the graphics and the coding to make it not look like crap, and #2, the load time would take forever....especially for people that are still on dial up.

But I also list all the titles my dogs have behind their names, have a big "about us" section, etc etc.

My website is up so people can get an IDEA about my dogs, but I do not put absolutely everything up....it's up to the buyer to do some research on their own (and I plant seedlings for questions, like OFA stats, links to their pedigrees on PDB, and titles behind and in front of names)

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can see your point Xeph- but I disagree that a lot of stuff necessarily means that it has to be disorganized. Libraries have hundreds of thousands of books, but are incredibly organized. There's no reason you have to have a messy webpage just because you have a lot of info on there.

But I also totally agree with you that there is a cost involved for a great website- and that may not be the focus of the breeder.

To be clear, I am not saying I'd like to see every possible piece of info possible on a breeder's webpage- I'm just saying I thought it was odd that they are always (over-generalization) so Schutzhund focused.

And for what it's worth- I don't know what your website is. I don't see it in your sig.

·
Registered
27,243 Posts
Karlo's breeder has pics of all the dogs from every litter posted. Many do more than ScH and it is up to the puppy owners to update with pics of the activities they are involved in if they want more than a baby puppy in the album. I think that would go for other breeders as well~ to have updates of what they have bred.

I think their website is one of the most informative, most all questions a potential buyer would have are answered because of the transparency and information provided.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I think their website is one of the most informative, most all questions a potential buyer would have are answered because of the transparency and information provided.
I agree.

I also like Medo's breeder's website. He tries to keep progency pics up there too...I know a recent litter has a dog doing SAR stuff. But also a lot of the dogs stacked, running, etc (not sure that agility is big in the Czech Republic lol). I like that I can look at any of his past litters and get pics of the puppies and what they are up to. Again, this is only true if the owners are sending you pics, but I'm impressed that he's been doing it for so long as has kept up so well with it.
Aritar Bastet - kennel of German Shepherds

But back to your question...some breeders only have their own dogs up there...and there is ONLY so many hours in a day!

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I couldn't agree more, and I have to say- I missed the links to all the litter pups! Awesome!!

I agree.
I also like Medo's breeder's website.
Wow! Nice site and great looking dogs!

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
There's no reason you have to have a messy webpage just because you have a lot of info on there.
How many people have the knowledge of coding to even MAKE a website that doesn't look like a 2nd grader did it (heck, these days the 2nd grader may do it better xD)?

It doesn't HAVE to be messy....but it usually will be. The vast majority of GSD breeders (breeders in general) with drop dead gorgeous websites did not do them on their own. They paid for a good looking website (and most of the time, that ain't cheap).

I'd rather have a site that is small, but tasteful, and has just some schutzhund pics (which is likely the breeder's main focus), than a lot of other sites I see with the midi music (oh God, WHY!?) and pics plastered everywhere and it being so cluttered I can't read the text, lol.

Another thing for me is, I find it very hard to get GOOD action shots of my dogs doing other things x.x In the future, I'll be posting more photos of them doing other things, but they're going to end up being photos I bought from a photographer that was at a trial, that can get much nicer pictures than I can!

I also rotate photos a lot. All different kinds of stacks in different places, etc etc.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,252 Posts
Halo's breeder has stuff on the testimonials page, although there aren't pictures of all the dogs in every litter. I know she's been meaning to update it for awhile now - she asked for people to send her pictures and updated titles and stuff on the email list, but I don't know that everyone has, and not everyone has joined the list either. It's more complete for the earlier litters than the most recent ones, but at least it says what kind of home the pups went to, and where - active pet, personal protection, Schutzhund, a NY State K9, SAR, agility, human remains detection, AKC obedience, tracking, etc.

Previous Litters and Testimonials

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
How many people have the knowledge of coding to even MAKE a website that doesn't look like a 2nd grader did it
With the number of free (or very cheap) software packages that do all the coding for you there's no reason for someone to HAVE to learn coding in order to have a decent website.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I think one of the reasons for the schutzhund pictures is that this is the crowd that the breeder is selling to -- they want to see those dynamic , long bite pictures or the shot that shows the grip , hoping that the progeny will inherit some of these qualities.
I have pictures of police dogs, personal protection dogs, SAR dogs, tracking super stars, real working farm dogs (that was also a foundational brood - UD , TDX , SAR cert) , obedience Grand Victrix -- can't mix it up much more than that , but the schutzhund crowd , in my opinion and my experience never asks questions outside of the parameters of scores and trialing . This other stuff does not matter to them.

I have had dogs in flyball - timed "fastest gsd" and a dog in agility that comes from my sire - .

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
Mostly for me it is the owners not sending photos. Can't post pictures if I don't receive them. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts