German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shadow has not had her hips x-rayed but based on what I know of her and how the joints feel we have an issue. I have felt a lot of hip joints and hers feel wrong, really wrong.
I believe the issue is that the ball is not seated in the socket or the sockets are shallow, one is worse then the other but both are bad.
She has recently developed an issue with her one leg. Watching her it appears that the leg is coming down on an angle and is actually crossing her other leg. It also appears to be causing some pain on and off. If the problem is what I suspect then the ligaments that have held so far are loosening with age and not supporting the joint.
I never had x-rays as she cannot be put under so it would have limited to no benefit.

This issue popped up about the time that I resolved the issue with her front leg finally! Grrr.

Any suggestions for keeping those ligaments strong? If her hips go we're done. She still seems able to extend fairly well, so hopeful.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Some months back I took my ten yr. old girl through a "fitness class" and learned a lot of exercises to help keep her in shape. Hard to explain all the different aids they used but maybe something like that is avaible in your area?

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is in reasonable shape, not great. Tough to put any serious work on a dog with her limitations. I can't even find a reasonable hill around here to walk her up and down.
Tough to lift her in and out of the car as well with my shoulder hurt.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I don't have any advice for you, but my dog is going through the same thing. She has terrible exercise intolerance. Now that it is getting hot out, I will be finding places to take her swimming as much as possible. Too bad I will probably have to drive 45 minutes one way for her to swim! She is in bad shape, honestly. She also has major weight gaining issues, and she can't exercise enough to keep the weight off! She is so fat now that I can barely feel her ribs. I am working on switching her to raw to see if that will help her.

Good luck to you!

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
118 Posts
Like I said, it's hard to wxplain just what that class was, but here's an example. One of the exercises: We led our dogs onto a board, approximately 2'x 4'. Running lengthwise on the bottom of the board was a tube about 5" in diameter, which caused the board to rock from side to side. It was amasing to watch how many muscles it worked for them to just stand there and keep their balance as the board rocked. The whole class was just a series of low impact exercises that worked their muscles in new ways. Was low impact, just for older dogs.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
If you have detachable really thick cushie couch cushions, you could lay them on the floor and have her walk on them. Fit paws has balancing discs that work the leg muscles. When I was going through rehab after my THR, I used one similar but it was a disc w/ a hole cut out in the center and a ball that fit in the hole but only half way thru. I couldn't find the specific one I used via google but I think it's due to design improvements.

If you haven't already tried NEM, it may be worth it as you will see results w/i 2 weeks regarding her pain. I'm assuming partly or mostly due to arthritis. If you can't get the NEM, you can separate the egg membrane from the shell by hand. I know you are knowledgeable with the supplements but that and the bone broth are a staple for my boy.

Any chance that you could build a semi permanent platform in the driveway that you can park beside so Shadow can "walk" into your car? That would get her in but then you will have to look for areas that have natural grading to park next to to get her out and back in (retaining walls, etc.) It could be an interesting adventure.

I was just brain storming a little about all that you brought up.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No detachable couch cushions, but I can perhaps come up with something. She has been on NEM for 32 days and I am so happy that not only is she not limping on her left front leg but the sore she had permanently open from chewing at her ankle is healing and now almost invisible. I thought it was odd that as her front leg healed this new issue with her hips popped up.
I know the balance boards you are talking about and I will look for one. No chance for a ramp, I park on the street, and in the near future will have my arm in a sling for 6 weeks.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
That does seem odd, was NEM the only thing newly introduced for the front leg? I don't remember your thread for that otherwise I would know that answer. In any case, I take the NEM for both my hip issues and suspected arthritis in my fingers and found it works better than any otc pain relievers I have used and it's probably helping with my good hip which is really the one that should have gone south first.

Good luck with your surgery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts