German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a white GSD that is 6 months old now. When she went for her 5 month check up she was just under 50 lbs only by a few ounces. The vet on call which was not either of our normal vets as one is in the hospital with cancer and the other I guess was on vacation looked her over good gave her as expected a clean bill of health only he said when we were talking flea and heartworm prevention that she had better not gain an ounce in the next 6 months or she would be fat. I don't want to get a full box of either and then have her get to big for them and be wasted so I usually get that month at a time until she has finished growing.

That said I did find someone else to ask about this as I was having problems signing into this forum which has always been great. First when I mentioned she was white they put me down for having a "illegal" colored GSD, then when I told them her size and her parents size sire 150 lbs dam 90lbs, this person started in on me about "illegal" breeding of non-standard dogs something about the sire 3 malemutes and dam 2. I'm confused as to what malemutes has to do with GSDs. They just kept on putting me down for getting a dog from such a irrespondsible breeder. First off I wanted a large white GSD, so I did get what I wanted she is a pet nothing more I did not want a show quality dog. She is however AKC registered.

That said sorry if I got a little rude there didn't aim to. I'm really really confused. When I asked how I was supposed to make her stop growing and gaining weight for in my experience with any animal they grow until they are at least a year old (horses 3 to 4) and with that growth they do gain weight. I will also admit she is a little more puppy than we expected as we didn't expect her to be so big so fast, but that is alright we will deal with it. I just don't want any vets mad at me because of her growth, when to me she is what she is. Right now I can't see so much of a difference, but my husband who is only home two nights a week says he can see a difference in her size every time he comes home she is getting longer and taller which I think is normal. But the that vet has really got me confused now.

Thanks for clearing any of this up. I'm just so confused.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Post a picture so we can better tell you if your dog is overweight. The vet may have been saying that because generally shepherds aren't very heavy, so at 5 months 50 would sound large.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I will try and post a pic. I will say that the regular vet says she is not over weight and this one didn't say she was either, he just said he didn't want her to gain any more weight for the next 6 months, which she is a large dog. That confused me. I've been told to look at the ribs and to me she may be a little under weight, which I've also been told at this age a little under is not as bad as over. I'm just confused at the statement he made, he was going on weight I think not her over all look as he said that she looks perfectly healthy and what ever we are doing to keep it up as we are doing good just don't let her gain an ounce.

Alright how do you post pictures? Having problems here. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts