German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the % different in bone on a turkey neck vs a chicken quarter..

like before i was feeding 1 pound chicken quarters, 1/2 lb breast meat, now im doing 1 pound turkey neck, 1/2lb breast meat. is that too much bone or no? i just started turkey neck today, and dont wanna overfeed him bone and then he stops pooping and feels constipated! lol

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
Is this the only meal of the day? If so, then what you are feeding is fine, but add in some organ meat too.
IF this is just a meal portion and you feed 2x's a day, then it is too much as a meal portion. I usually will chunk a tom neck into 1/3's and feed one chunk as the rmb.
IMO, for an 80# GSD, a 1# chix leg 1/4 is a perfect meal portion adding in some organ to balance. I don't add in any more meat to a leg 1/4.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup its a once a day portion :) this is maybe week 3 or 4 for raw, so i havent added in organ yet because i was told to get into the red meats first, that true? hes about 11 months old, weighing in around 70lbs right now. also for fish oils, how many pills do i give him?

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
I give my dogs 2000 mg of fish oil a day, you can give more if the dog has inflammation, but for a normal growing dog, 1000-2000 daily is fine.
As far as waiting on organ, I never did...I fed a balanced diet from the get-go. Is there a reason you only feed once per day?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
initially every1 told me its better to switch to a once a day feeding, and once i got into it, it actually kind of made my life a bit easier since if im out, im not rushing home to feed the poor guy lol

if i start throwing in organ, how much liver/kidney would u recommend? like a tablespoon worth each meal?

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
yes, about 3 oz. I would go with calves liver if possible. Cutting it up when it is frozen is not as nasty as after it thaws.
And if you can get fresh(frozen) green tripe, I'd start giving that as well.

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
Order it online, there are quite few online retailers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts