German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was wondering if anyone know anything about the poor dog in this video??

I do not like the way the man was menacing over the dog

but just curious would your dogs have done the samething?

Also what kind of aggression was this dog displaying was it fear based as he was stressed or dominance ?

Or maybe there isnt a word for it cause it was clearly proveked aggression

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
You can see before the bite that the dog is stressed out and afraid. The handler should have seen that his dog was afraid and told the other man to stop what he was doing. Then again a dog that can be stressed/frightened by someone petting and looming over them like that has no business being a police patrol dog.

Honestly I could definitely see Rocky doing something like that. He's nervy and easily stressed out by strangers petting him. But I know that and wouldn't ever ever put him in a situation like that. You have to read your dog's body language.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
The dog was stressed.

I've seen that video a million times, and the dog was new to the handler and the police station. He was in a completley new environment, and then they throw a newscaster in there, raising that emotional state.

Plus, his hands were on the dog's throat.

The dog is clearly uncomfortable in this situation.

But no, my dogs would not do that. But you have to remember the situation the dog is in. New handler, new place, new EVERYTHING, then he's put on TV.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I've seen a longer version of this video from somewhere. I think it's some sort of newsperson interview and it's VERY clear in the longer segment that the dog is stressed.

Maybe the officer just doesn't like news media people............lol
(I know I wasn't a huge fan of them, especially at a scene)

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
oh ok thanks so since the dog was in a new enviroment and new everything and being put on tv and stressed does the dog still have a right to be a patrol dog?

I mean im sure many police dogs will get stressed out sometimes as u dont often find a perfect one.

also i hope they did not put him to sleep?

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
No, the dog was not put to sleep or retired from K9 service. Here is story that was done about the incident. It gives a little more information and backgroud on what happened.
It was a new dog/handler team, but if you watch the dog, he is clearly showing signs of stress. IMO, I think the handler could have done a better job of reading his dog, but I wasn't there.
There were comment made later by the reporter that talked about his doing a lot of the things he was instructed not to do before the interview.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I watched the full version, ages ago. You could see several things that were clear warning signs before the bite. The reporter was uncomfortable and nervous as could be. He was very awkward and unnatrual with the dog. The dog was giving all sorts of physical cues he was unconfortable. I think it was less the dogs fault than the two men involved.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool story yeah i dont think anyone on this forum thinks its the dogs fault at all we all have enough common sense to know it was that stupid reporters fault and the cop

ill never put my face or tower over a dog like that unless the dog and me have a tight bond and the dog is just one of my babys

would you guys consider that gsd in the video weak nerved tho? just wondering.

it is hard to let strangers pet your dog because u dont know how the stranger acts like some of our dogs have a suspecion level and dont really like a stranger giving them hugs and kisses.

a lot of fear aggressive dogs seem to ignore you though when u dont pay attention to them my friend had a fear aggressive border collie and i would take my gsd on walks with them the collie acted like i did not exist and i acted like the collie didnt exist all i interacted with was my dog and thats all i paid attention to so there was never a problem.

Hey maybe we are on to something what about trying to ease up human fear aggressive dogs by having you and your dog interact together close to the fear aggressive one? not sure but it worked for that one collie. My gsd would not let the collie close to me anyway out of jealousy lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
I may be wrong about this, but it kind of seemed to me that the officer had an aweful tight leash too...like there was a lot of tension going through the leash. I noticed it more in the second one where they had a lot of slower shots before the dog bit. The officer has the dog on a short leash and keeps moving his hand towards his body putting a little more tension on the leash, no? I know when we do that with Millie she just gets more wound up...especially in a situation she's uncomfortable/nervous with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts