German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading different threads about aggression and temperament and I have a question.

My GSD, Ammo, is 8 months old. I take him for walks in our neighborhood and at the park. It is very rare for us to be on a walk where someone doesn't want to pet Ammo. I have never told anyone no, unless I'm in the middle of a training exercise. When someone approaches him Ammo usually just stands, or sits there with his head at an even level. He usually doesn't perk it up or drop it lower. Most of the time his tail is wagging, not excited though. He has a very laid back attitude toward him. He has never seemed overly excited about a stranger petting him, but at the same time he does seem to like being pet.

I have never had a dog that wasn't supper excited about being pet on. His reaction is the same no matter if its a small child or adult petting him. For example today he had a 2 year old hugging on him and he just sat there, no real change in his body language. I have always taken his reaction as him being ok with the attention. Should I be worried by his lack of excitement? Am I taking his calmness the wrong way? Should I worry about him reacting badly?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
sounds perfect -- neutral to strangers , not hostile, not avoiding , not seeking attention.
The GSD is supposed to be tolerant to attention but not invite it .

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Funny, I just described my three this way in another thread. All three are pretty "meh" when it comes to strangers.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
It is nice to see a post about a GSD acting the way it is "supposed to"

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have always had boxers and their expression when approached by a stranger is complete and utter delight. The idea that someone is going to pet them always seems like more than the dog can handle. I've never owned a dog that was indifferent about it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
My two love being petted and get very exited about it (which is fine with me as I wanted dogs that were more outgoing and friendly than reserved), but they both seem to instinctively calm down and be very gentle and still around little children - so your Ammo is doing good! Just knows what is appropriate, doesn't mean he doesn't enjoy the attention. :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
On this note I have to say our 3.5 month old gets very excited with some people(even strangers), and shies away or is cautious with some. When he is excited his whole body wags, his ears are folded back and he crouches down in play, sometimes even barks. All of these people were very comfortable with dogs.

The cautious behaviour worries me though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts