German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this in Genral because it is not a topic about showing or how to show. And I hope this doesn't cause any serious debate..but I want to know so I can make a judgement call about a movie lol

I am not intending a debate on what kids could/should handle, just looking to be informed.

All the parents are up in arms because the movie Show Dogs has the Rottie being "groomed" to allow his privates to be jangled for the show. So apparently he hates it, and his owner makes him practice it at home so he can tolerate the judge doing it. He has to go to his "zen place" and imagine butterflies and rainbows so he can ignore getting felt there. So parents are up in arms and are upset that it is "grooming" and also sending a message that gatekeeps (judges) can demand contact in order to proceed and suceed. Hello, Hollywood.

I run 2 parenting groups, a forum and a closed FB one. I am looking to admin, but want to approach from a direction of knowledge.

My question is...when dogs are shown. do their testicles get touched/felt during judge examination? Or do they just get looked at? I am suspecting for males they do check that both trsticles are descended?

My knee jerk opinion is that they made a mistake making that aspect of the story such a focused upon issue in any event.

Here is the article, an example at least as there are several. Uh...spoiler alerts in it? lol
https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/entertainment/movies/mom-blogs-are-urging-parents-to-not-take-children-to-this-movie/77-556750625

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
I show.

Yes, the judge does check to make sure both testicles are there, and that involves handling them. As puppies you have to get them used to being “groped”. As far as shaving a Rottie’s testicles, I guess some of the furry parts are cut down.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. It was foolish of the show to make such a topic of it, especially with having to "put your mind elsewhere and let it happen". A simple surprised look from the police dog would have sufficed to hammer the humor home.

Ah well, off to put out other forum fires.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
In a cryptorchid male I wonder if the judge could tell one was fake. https://www.neuticles.com/

I don't have kids and I don't do social media but wouldn't it be proper to teach kids that show dogs used for breeding have to have all their parts and drop the subject?

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
Thank you. It was foolish of the show to make such a topic of it, especially with having to "put your mind elsewhere and let it happen". A simple surprised look from the police dog would have sufficed to hammer the humor home.

Ah well, off to put out other forum fires.

It’s a kid’s movie, with typical fart and body part humor. I imagine kids think it’s funny.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My take on it is my near 12 year old can tell the difference between a grown police dog and herself.

Was it dumb to include desensitization to being fondled in a kids movie? Yeah. I suppose someone who had been manipulated and "groomed" would get upset by it? If a movie can cause serious damage, I suppose someone would have a lot of issues in general. IDK, I imagine they will pay for their judgement (or not- even bad publicity is good publicity) at the box office.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
I have not seen this movie but these are animals and not kids. It what’s goes in dog show as reasons why mentioned above to see if they are breedable and have two testicles similar to a vet exam but in the show it is a judge. I do not think kids need to be shielded from this or make it complicated.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The movie kind of made it complicated by making it a whole segment where the dog has to put his mind elsewhere, the whole "just let it happen" thing. Doesn't bother me a jot, if anything I would view it as perhaps a conversation starter on an unpleasant topic ((shrugs)).

At the end of the day, Hollywood is dumb. And smart at the same time lol For as many people will NOT see the movie because of this, as many or more will go to just to see what the big deal is. Oh well.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
I don't think Hollywood is dumb. I think our society would rather be offended than just simply educate themselves on the what and the why.

Many things become acceptable to society after viewing it thru media. Both good and bad.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How many people do you think went to go see " A Dog's Purpose" just because of the controversial water scene?

I think a lot of it is intentional. Controversy breeds enough curiosity where people HAVE to see even though they disagree. They even wrote a song about it, Dirty Laundry.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
Of course it's intentional. But there are also more people always ready to be offended over anything and everything. Just look at some of the threads that happen here. Lol

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Of course it's intentional. But there are also more people always ready to be offended over anything and everything. Just look at some of the threads that happen here. Lol
Right in the feels man! Must be my age, but I do have a very low tolerance to the offended movement lol You actually just gave me an idea, I am going to open a new child board on my forum called the Feeling Closet. Alright, I'll stop going OT now lol Some mom had said " they dont even do that to dogs for real" I was pretty sure they did..and now I have the confirmation. lol

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Must be my age, but I do have a very low tolerance to the offended movement lol
I don't think it's age. I think it's just common sense. I am young, and I am very aggravated with the offended-when-someone-breathes part of society now. All I can do is roll my eyes and ignore it. Or say, "Your being offended offends me!" ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
Back when Russ was a young puppy, and I thought I might show him one day, I used to stack him and check his parts. He would give me this offended look. And yes, I felt kind of stupid, lol.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
Right in the feels man! Must be my age, but I do have a very low tolerance to the offended movement lol You actually just gave me an idea, I am going to open a new child board on my forum called the Feeling Closet. Alright, I'll stop going OT now lol Some mom had said " they dont even do that to dogs for real" I was pretty sure they did..and now I have the confirmation. lol
They did to seger at the conformation show. He was like What the What, dude?!

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I'm kind of perplexed about a dog acting surprised if it is the owner doing the checking. I read this thread and reached down to pat my boy which caused the expose-everything-roll-over-for-a-belly-rub reflex. Dont they all do this? I use that reflex to check for tics & skin condition and that includes his testes. No need for a desensitized process from a person he already knows.

Too bad they didn't use that in some way Instead of the "let me help get you desensitized - go to your zen place gobble dee goop as I'm sure even jqp pet owners along with their kids could have related more to that. I do remember a couple chuckles w/ my own kids about the exposed all check for tic rubs.

I didn't see the movie just a thought

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I've not seen the movie so I can't judge.
But from reading the comments I don't have an issue with the kids seeing or learning anything to do with normal dog showing process - explaining why and howfores about it all.

I do however don't like the "go to your zen place" that does have connotations of - "too bad if you don't like it you just have to put up with it"

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
There is a big hoo-haa about that movie here now too... they are going to cut the scene from the movie before its shown on cinemas here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts