German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I know all of you have a love for this breed as do I. My question for all of you is what are your thoughts regarding GSD rescue groups? I'm involved with a rescue group and find it very rewarding. These dogs come into our group HW+ hungry and afraid. The rewarding part is giving them that second chance at life.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
I love rescue groups but sometimes they have too many rules and
some dogs that could go to good homes can't

I wanted to foster but can't I don't have a fenced in yard.
so kudos for anyone that can help

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Quote: I love rescue groups but sometimes they have too many rules and
some dogs that could go to good homes can't

I wanted to foster but can't I don't have a fenced in yard.
so kudos for anyone that can help
This topic has been covered A LOT and while it seems to be a widespread misconception, it's just not true! There are many many groups who do not have fence rules and would love to have your help. There are also many ways to assist rescue that do not involved fostering. Anyone who wants to adopt a rescue or shelter dog can find one if they do the leg work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Thank you

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I have a tremendous amount of respect for rescues even if many of them hate breeders and blame all of us for their having to do rescue in the first place.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I can understand why breeders might think the rescue community "hates" and blames breeders, but I, personally, rarely encounter this attitude. Just like the best breeders, we're frustrated by irresponsible breeders and cavalier owners. Almost every rescue volunteer I've ever met (GSD or not) is doing this because they love their breed.

Breeders and rescue want the same thing - the best for the dogs - but our experiences in working toward that goal are very different. Our family has made the choice to adopt through GSD rescue, but I've also supported and helped others do their homework when the right choice for them was to work with a breeder.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry I have a sick little girl here (lol she's 12).

Yes it's to get a breeders POV on rescue groups. Is it hard for you to see BYB. Are people really rescueing when they buy from BYB?

Are any of you involved with a GSD rescue?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think we blame you. Are you a breeder for show dogs or a breeder in it for the money. There is a difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol Jean you keep moving me

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Quote: I don't think we blame you. Are you a breeder for show dogs or a breeder in it for the money.
Many of those in rescue and working in shelters blame breeders, all breeders, for the pet overpopulation problem.

I breed working dogs. No, definitely not for the money.

Yes, I have done rescue and always will take back one of my own.

My website is in my signature.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: lh661 Are people really rescueing when they buy from BYB?
Absolutely NOT. They are keeping the BYBs in buisness!

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Originally Posted By: lhczthI have a tremendous amount of respect for rescues even if many of them hate breeders and blame all of us for their having to do rescue in the first place.
I don't hate breeders. I do, however, hate people who move away and leave their dogs tied to a tree with no food or water. We seem to get more of those every year.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Emoore, I agree 100% with you. We need to take those people and tie them to a tree in the cold with no food or water.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I would rather help to support financially a rescue than a county shelter, APL, etc. And if I died tomorrow, I would rather my dogs go to a rescue than a shelter.

However, there are good rescues and bad rescues like good shelters and bad shelters, like good breeders and bad breeders. Just because it appears that the organization is about helping dogs, doesn't mean they are equiped to do so, or that they are doing so ethically.

The perception here is that rescues put people through the third degree, and a lot of people do not want to deal with them at all.

I will also say that if you want a pure bred shepherd around here, going to the APL will only net you the absolute worst temperament dogs. Because anything adoptable is being held for rescues. So instead of paying 25 bucks at the shelter for a dog, you will pay 150 or more for that same dog through the rescue and you will probably have to fill out more forms and jump through more hoops.

A good rescue will not let the dog go without it being speutered, will try to match the owners to the pup, will temperament test, will offer some support for the new owners, and will take good care of the dog in the mean time, possibly through a foster care program where the dog is trained and socialized to a point. In the least, they ought to be able to tell you whether the dog is dog aggressive or not good with kids, etc.

A bad rescue will may fall short on most of these.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Selzer,

You are right about rescues we do put them through vet checks, 2 reference checks and a home visit. I know when some people fill out our application they think we won't call etc. It's amazing to me because 1 person said that neutering would make the dog a wuss. We do events to expose our dogs. For every 3 dogs we save 15 are euthanized. We wish it were the other way, not that we want any to be euthanized.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
lh, I've been on both sides somewhat. Before I had dogs of my own I volunteered at a shelter. I've also done and still do things here and there for GSD rescue (pulling dogs from a shelter, transport, paying for boarding, home visits, etc...anything I can do to help besides fostering since I don't have the time or space). I have always believed that being a fancier of German shepherd dogs and promoting breed preservation are not mutually exclusive with being involved in rescue. Currently I have 6 pets, 4 of them are from local shelters and rescues. My first dog, Kenya a purebred GSD, I obtained as an adult from a reputable breeder. Initally I had been looking in rescues and shelters. Because I work full time I didn't think it would be fair to commit to a dog with a lot of issues (not saying all rescues have issues, but a good number do). Also a lot of the rescues and shelters have blanket requirements about fencing, owning a home, etc and there were some criteria I could not meet. I would have happily adopted a GSD from a rescue, had the right dog been available for my situation at the time. As it was, the right dog came from a good breeder (and my "right" I mean the temperament of the dog fit with my lifestyle, ironically the dog was oppposite of what I wanted as far as looks, sex, and size). I did not pay a dime for my dog and she was given to me under the condition that if something didn't work out (at ANY time, not just the first few months) I was to return her directly to the breeder. Even if something happens to my own husband, she goes back to her breeder.

Coke, our second dog, came from a local all-breed rescue. 'nuf said.

Nikon...well he is the one where I got the comments like "you are killing a shelter dog by buying a puppy!" I find statements like that quit hurtful, mainly because they often come from people who don't know me. The bottom line is, I put a lot of time and thought into the selection of my dogs, even the rescues. If I had not purchased Nikon, I would NOT have gotten a third dog. I wasn't quite ready for a dog and wasn't totally sold on a puppy, but I already knew I liked the dam and when I heard about the sire she was bred to, I wanted in. I picked based on the parents and what my goals were for my next dog, not based on just wanting a third dog. Again, no Nikon, no dog.

My household will always be a mixture of rescued and purchased dogs.

Also I should say I have VERY high standards when choosing a breeder. I pick based on the criteria outlined in these articles http://vankelderdogs.dutchbingo.net/breeding.html . If I ever hear of any breeder's dog knowingly ending up in a shelter or rescue, I keep note of that breeder on my "blacklist". Someone who cannot stand behind their own dogs does not deserve my time and money.

And no, good breeders would have to charge like $10,000 per puppy if they actually wanted to make money selling dogs. Good breeders are in it for breed preservation. Some people think "hobby breeder" means BYB but it actually means a GOOD breeder. They are committed to their dogs for what they are, not for making money.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Liesje,

I think it's awesome you have a mix of pure bred and rescue dogs. I think any breeder that is willing to take back any of their GSD's is a good one. I had someone tell me they got a dog from a BYB and she "rescued" a dog from horrible conditions the dog was living in. My feelings were #1 my idea of "rescuing" is to save all those dogs from their horrible conditions #2 I think she proved to the BYB that being a BYB really does work and he will continue because it's quick money. #3 Is people that buy these dogs keep them until they are 6 mos + and when the dog gets bored they dump it. Which is why they end up with our rescues. It's a vicious cycle. I believe they are the ones creating the situation with the animal overpopulation.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts