German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, i do have large breed dogs (goldie and lab/shep mix), but this is my first gsd. i have been reading how they are very prone to bloat or gdv. now, one of the breeder websites that i went to suggested that if you are feeding kibble, to "float" it in some warm water. seems that once that is done and it is pre blown up before it enters the stomach that it cuts down the chance of bloat. did you ever see how big kibble soaked in water gets? so in other words it is probably better then them getting it into their tummy and drinking water and then allowing it to blow up in their tummy. what do ya think? i mix wet food in with storm's dinner, so in a sense the kibble is pretty much already soft, but in the morning he just gets it dry and i mix some grated rolled food (natural balance makes a nice rolled food) mixed in. has anyone ever heard of this?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I used to feed Nature's Variety kibble and I remember reading somewhere that adding moisture to THAT kibble increases the chance of bloat.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Some kibbles you don't want to soak in water because of a certain acid (can't think of the name right now) they have and in some studies it has been know to make bloat more common not less.

Rules of thumb.....

No food 1 1/2 - 2 hours before and after excercise. Limit water after excercise.

I take precautions but I think if your dog is going to bloat it is going to bloat. Things like stress can cause bloat. There are dogs that bloat and all precautions were taken, no stress, etc. So it might help to prevent bloat, but in some dogs it won't stop it from happening.

Knowing the signs of bloat and having GasX on hand are two things that can be beneficial.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I feed late night, around 9 or 10 pm.

They eat, use the bathroom once more (no playing or running around, stricly bathroom break) and then sleep through the night.

In the wild, wolves, wild dogs, etc. will frequently eat LARGE meals, and then lay around and rest

A full stomach is heavy and bounces around more when dogs run, jump and play. Its therefore more at risk of flipping over on itself.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
I believe it's citric acid that you're looking for Wisc.
I wont feed it if it's got citric acid in it, dry or soaked. I just avoid the whole food.

I feed a cup of dry to Chance in the morning, let him out for a potty break and then bring him back in for 1-2 hours before letting him out to run around in the backyard. (I also try to limit the amount of water he drinks during this time) Then I feed him 2 cups of soaked kibble with 1/3rd can of Nutro at night right before bed, let him out to potty, then come back in for some sleep. If I'm not too tired, I mush it up with a little whisk so that it's not balls of soaked kibble.

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

Theres a site which goes over bloat pretty well and gives tips for reducing the chances of it happening.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts