German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, trying not to be horrible here, but i have a question regarding Poops.

I switched from Canidae ALS to Natural Balance because my puppy wasn't eating it well. On Canidae she had really big poops, but they were pretty consistent (until she stopped eating really well). On natural balance, she was runny for the switch, but she's never really firmed up, if you know what i mean. The good thing is, she definitely is less volumous and she doesn't have diarrhea, but it's been about a month since her former solid performance. So what is "normal"? Given the food switch... what should i be doing here? Should I be concerned, find another food? (if anything her energy level has gone up)

·
2,967 Posts
My dog who is on NB also doesn't have super solid poop. Not runny, not diarrhea, it has form, just not super solid. He seems to do very well on it though, energy/coat wise, which is good for us because he had some skin problems as a puppy. I don't let it worry me too much, but I monitor to make sure it doesn't get worse. I also found when I put him on probiotics, his stools firmed up more.

He only eats 2 1/4 cups a day, and he's 78lbs, so you may want to just cut back a little.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
And sometimes that's more than they need in one meal and not always more than they need in a day.

Dante had a rough start GI Tract wise and I think it took his a long time to mature and get over the Giardia and blockage.
One thing that helped was to go back to 3 feedings a day, I think I did that for about a year.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
If by this time her stool has not firmed up I would try something else.

Constantly soft stool can lead to anal gland impactions.

I would say there is no immediate concern to find something else, but eventually you'll want to firm up that poo.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Now that she mentions it, I have noticed the same thing as Barb mentioned. If I feed Siren twice a day, her poop is a little softer (not pudding but "softer") than if she eats three times a day.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a male ,will be a year old at the end of the month. I have problems with his food.He is on diamond because he has really bad allergies to chicken and byproducts.He had very runny stool. We did blood work and he has had different antibiotics. We add Derma - form granules on top of his food .This has helped out .he now has solid stool. My question is ,Is this common with this breed? My vet said German Shepherds are naturally a nervous breed. I have never heard that or read it in any of my many books.I am trying to find a complete food diet for him.Or something easier and cheaper seeing how this is going to be a life long regiment.We did feed him Nutro large breed lamb and rice(which worked) but then the manufacture temporarily stopped making it.I have asked around with no luck on any good advice.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your thoughtful advice! It occured to me that she might be just a little too much. I'm going to try cutting back just a bit. I will see if that helps... then if not, we'll move on to something else
She was eating about 1 3/4 cups 2x a day... seems like a lot now that I hear about jklatsky's experience (she's at around 55 lbs and growing). While she IS really active, I think NB is more calorie dense and that is about how much we were feeding of the Canidae.

I personally have a lot of food issues so I'm glad atleast she doesn't have to deal with all the allergies I have... haha... ::Knocks on wood:: Her energy level has been FANTASTIC, i must say. I've definitely noticed an increase after the switch (ha... is that better? i don't know!)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Originally Posted By: BernadetteI have a male ,will be a year old at the end of the month. I have problems with his food.He is on diamond because he has really bad allergies to chicken and byproducts.He had very runny stool. We did blood work and he has had different antibiotics. We add Derma - form granules on top of his food .This has helped out .he now has solid stool. My question is ,Is this common with this breed? My vet said German Shepherds are naturally a nervous breed. I have never heard that or read it in any of my many books.I am trying to find a complete food diet for him.Or something easier and cheaper seeing how this is going to be a life long regiment.We did feed him Nutro large breed lamb and rice(which worked) but then the manufacture temporarily stopped making it.I have asked around with no luck on any good advice.
If Nutro large breed lamb and rice worked for your dog, try the regular Nutro lamb and rice. One of my clients did that when Nutro temporarily stopped production of the Large breed lamb and rice and she had good results with the regular dark green bag of lamb and rice. She adds egg to it to bring the protein level up and is happy with the results. According to Nutro representatives in PetSmart, the large breed lamb and rice should be back on the shelves in about a couple of months. They say there is a temp. shortage of lamb from New Zealand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have now read that they say GSD are a nervous breed.That's why some of them get unexplained diarrhea.Is this true in your experiences? I'm thinking he may need to be walked more.I think he is bored. He can go and go and go.We walk him play with him and then I train him one a day for about 15 minutes.I think we need to walk him twice and see if it helps any.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts