German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this is where this is where I need to be..
It is both a question and a vent session LOL
I have a four month old puppy, Legend. Took him to the vet, last Wednesday cause he was urinating while walking, the vet told us that is was common in young male dogs to do this not to worry. While we were there she said that he needed to give him his vac shots cause he was overdue. When we got him from the breeder she told us that he had his shots up to date but the record book only showed one set given and the vet told us that we needed the second set. I am not sure I am confused on all this cause I called the lady we got him from and she said he was up to date. Well anyways the vet gives him his vaccines and sends us home. That night Legend is acting tired and whinny. The next day he seems to be tired and drinking lots of water, and just laying around. Friday, morning at 6 he vomits in his crate so I take him out and clean him and he acts okay but tired. I put him back in and at 8 he vomits again. We take him to the vet and she says that he has parvo. This was Friday, he stays there, that night and the next morning we get a call stating that he is doing so much better and that he will recover very well and tell us that they want to keep him till Monday just to make sure. I went and picked him up today and he is back to his happy pre-vet visit self. Running jumping and playing around. He came home with antibiotics, tamiflu and a $700 vet bill. We all love Legend and are happy that he is okay and my son is sooo happy to have him back but I wonder....I had to apply for a credit card for him to be treated, so I could pay. Questions are what is parvo? if it happens again, and will he be okay after this? Will he live a normal life? What if I can't afford another vet visit like this? Where did he get it from?

·
Registered
88 Posts
At what age did you receive Legend from the breeder?

Someone else can describe parvo better than me...but it is a serious virus transmitted from one dog to another typically through feces. As you know, it leads to vomiting, diarrhea, and possible heart damage.

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
I would look at the vaccinations as the cause of the illness. Was he showing any signs of being ill before the vet visit, besides the urination? Healing thoughts on the way for Legend.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: onyx'girlI would look at the vaccinations as the cause of the illness. Was he showing any signs of being ill before the vet visit, besides the urination? Healing thoughts on the way for Legend.
Then again, Onyx, timing could be coincidence (the leaking as he walked could be sign of UTI. If so, his immune system may have been compromised
).

I got a puppy from the pound (15 years ago) that was happy, healthy and bouncy. Three days later she was deathly ill, truly *deathly* ill.

Legend was 4 months old and working on one set of vaccines. I know the risks of vaccines as well as anyone, but this little guy was basically surfing the internet with no firewall, so to speak. Environmental exposure was a huge risk. I'm sure his owners were being great owners and getting him socialized, taking him lots of places. This further exposed him to the virus. Parvo is pretty easily transferred: As marvistavet.com says:

Quote:
The virus enters the body through the mouth as the puppy cleans itself or eats food off the ground or floor. <u>A minuscule amount of infected stool is all it takes. </u>
Every time we walk across the park, think of all the dogs that have likely left fecal matter there before us. Good dog owners pick it up, but not every cell can be picked up. Lazy owners leave it, and it is slowly absorbed into the dirt. Not visible, but still there. All those sidewalk strips. Dogs that poop on sidewalks and roads. Or dogs (and people) who step in poop and redeposit it.

Three to seven days is a long gestation time, if you think about it. And parvo hits like a mack truck, and our tendency is to blame what just happened the day or two before, not the visit to Petco or the walk around our neighborhood the week before.

The good news is that more puppies seem to be surviving parvo than ever. Even in the old days, when fewer puppies did, when there was no tamiflu, a percentage did, depending on the reserves they had before getting sick.

Legend'shuman, my 15 year old senior survived parvo (and a host of other really terrible illnesses she contracted at the same time). She has and continues to live a completely normal active life. The first year or two, I took some precautions to go easy on her GI tract, but foods today are by far and away better than they were back then.

Your vet can answer your specific questions about Legend's prognosis. But I wouldn't be surprised if he made a complete recovery.

One thing -- DISINFECT!

More on parvo and disinfection:
http://www.auspet.com/forum/about4831.html

http://www.cpvh.com/Articles/39.html

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Having had parvo once, there is almost no chance he'll ever get it again. However you do need to be careful to keep him from exposing other puppies because he will continue to shed virus in his stool for the next month or so, contaminating any area he's in. Also, no puppies should visit your yard or anywhere he's pooped for the next year. Parvo is extremely hardy in the environment and very contagious which is why he got it, unfortunately.

On the happy news side - heart damage is very rare and most puppies with parvo who survive go on to live perfectly normal and healthy lives.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When we got Legend...we were told that he was 8 weeks old.
The lady told us she doesn't "breed" the dogs it was just something that happened and so she was selling the puppies. We fell in love with Legend so we took him home. She told us that he was 8 weeks old. When we took him to the vet and told her that he was 3 months old she said his teeth showed that he was in fact 4 months closer to five. We have rescued one dog before from a shelter but never gone out at bought one from someone that was selling puppies so we didn't know what to expect.
We love Legend and he really seems to be doing better.
I just wish that he didn't have to have suffered through this, cause it broke my heart to see him so sick and my son so worried.

·
Registered
15,975 Posts
I'm glad Legend is feeling more his old self. One thing you might want to consider if a $700 vet bill would be a big problem is pet insurance. I usually don't recommend it but if you can't take a 1 to 2 k hit in the wallet once in a while, it might be something to look into.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, having parvo once does NOT reduce a dog's chances of getting parvo again...at least according to the aforementioned links.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Pupresq, according to what I know, pups can be recontaminated for a few weeks after they've been "cured." This kind of makes sense because their immune systems are incredibly weak and it will take a while for all defenses to get up and running. Even the vaccines (say, you're on the last set of DHLPP) take a couple weeks before they're fully functional, assuming everything goes right.

So yeah, once a dog has parvo, her risks of contracting it again are almost nonexistent, AFTER the 2-4 week window has expired. But during that window, the risk of re-contamination is actually pretty high.

University of Davis' Shelter Medicine Department says:

Quote: The majority of affected puppies will no longer be contagious by two weeks after recovery. To be on the extra-safe side, you could repeat the parvo “snap” test—if that is negative, it is very unlikely these puppies are a significant risk to others. By two weeks after recovery, their immune systems should also have recovered and be ready to face the world again. Remember to bathe them to remove any virus lingering on their fur. Beyond that, no special precautions are necessary—they can be spayed or neutered, vaccinated, and placed up for adoption as usual. In the meantime, puppies should be kept in an easily disinfected environment and away from other puppies or unvaccinated adult dogs for a full two weeks after complete recovery.
http://www.sheltermedicine.com/documents/controlling_parvo.pdf

Their concern is more based on the health of the overall shelter population, so I'm not sure if the two weeks is for the individual's safety from recontamination or to just ensure that the parvovirus is completely gone. Or both.

Quote:
We have read and been told that a puppy who has contracted and survived parvo develops no immunity and can remain susceptible to contracting it again, and, to the contrary , that they do develop immunity to contracting it again - which is it.
Answer Recovered puppies DO develop immunity to parvo, probably for years if not for life. However, the combo DA2PP vaccine should continue to be given on schedule, as they still need protection from the other diseases (distemper, canine hepatitis, and parainfluenza) contained in this vaccine
http://www.sheltermedicine.com/portal/faq.php?start=81#top3

The phrase "for years, if not for life" was interesting to me. Life immunity isn't guaranteed. I didn't know that. I just assumed my dog had life immunity. (Learn something new every day...)

More links:

Everything you ever want to know about parvo (page with links)

http://www.sheltermedicine.com/portal/is_parvovirus_canine.shtml

Interesting article http://www.sheltermedicine.com/documents/parvovirus_nov_dec06.pdf

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replys and I have been doing alot of reading. I also talked the doctor and she told us that he would not get it again. But I have read that he can. (??) I am definetly going to look into pet insurance cause 1 k is not something that our family can do. I was talking to a friend of mine and she went through it about 6 years ago and her dog is doing well. She says she is happy she spent the money on her but it was something that if it would have happened again right after she was worried that she would not have been able to pay this time. She didn't think right now she would be able to afford the vet bill if it was that high...
The vet told us if we can't afford a pet we should not have one.
Legend has all he needs, food, shelter, and lots of love. She let us know that a dog can not survive on love alone. I don't know, I am just sad and tired right now.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
Originally Posted By: Legend'shuman
The vet told us if we can't afford a pet we should not have one.
Legend has all he needs, food, shelter, and lots of love. She let us know that a dog can not survive on love alone. I don't know, I am just sad and tired right now.
Is this the only vet around to use? I question your vets bedside manner! You've been slapped with a huge bill suddenly, and your vet should show a little compassion, IMO...I do agree, we should only have what we can afford, but she could have been a little more sensitive.

·
Registered
15,975 Posts
I would be more concerned with the vet's ability in treating dogs than with the bedside manner. They face a lot of people that won't pay for treatment and I'm sure it gets very old.

That aside, to the OP, it looks like your pup is pulling through. Let's concentrate on that now and not worry too much about future costs. Look into health insurance but make your pup's health your priority with him now. Keep in mind, too, that there are resources out there to help if it looks like you are going to run into a huge bill. I haven't used them and don't know their requirements but there are charities that help.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
You're very lucky your pup is ok. Parvo is a very deadly illness for puppies. The woman you bought him from probably gave them their first set of shots, and said he was up to date. Puppies get 3 sets of shots. Just read up on stuff, ask people questions on this board, and you will never have to worry about not getting an answer! There is a lot of knowledge lurking here!!

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
That's the one!

I have known puppies to relapse but I don't think they were recontaminated as much as never all the way well. But yes, I was talking about over the course of their life, not immediately after getting well. One of those original sites makes some comment like "unlike human parvo, canine parvo confers no immunity and they can get it again" which just ain't so!

Doing the shelter thing, I've seen about a zillion puppies with parvo. I've only see one who lived but later had heart problems. The rest have gone on to lead normal lives.

Good luck with your baby! I'm glad he's well. Parvo sucks and takes a bite out of anyone's wallet. I'm glad you were there for him!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the good info.
Legend is a little tired today, but still seems to be on the mend.
I hope he does lead a normal and happy life...I know my son, who is nine can't wait for him to be back to being a puppy and playing with him. As for now he is content to lay on the carpet next to Legend and watch tv. LOL
We might not be the wealthiest people but I would have done anything to help him out. I also had an american eskimo mix that we rescued in a shelter in VA, and he had epyleptic siezures and he needed medicine. We took care of him till he passed away. He was my first dog. And he was awesome!!! When we adopted Gambit in VA we were so mad that people would just give up a wonderful and loving dog like he was but, I have come to be a bit more understanding.....If I can pay for gas...then I can find a way to make sure my son's brother is okay!!! LOL

1 - 20 of 32 Posts