German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could some one please explain what this number means OFA#GS82004G31M-NOPI.
Its my dogs dads number. I see GS means the breed German Shepard and the rest I am not sure of. I think the 82004 means the number he was tested, but not sure. And does the M mean he is microchiped? but the NOPI I have no clue what it means. Thanks

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I have no idea what NOPI stands for, but you can look him up on the OFA website. Here's his info: Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

You can see he tested Good for hips but they didn't test his elbows. One of his offspring was tested for hips and elbows and came back good hips, normal elbows.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well thats nice to see he was some what tested. He wasnt when I bought a puppy from his liter. But like so many people I was very uneducated when I purchased my puppy. I only started to learn some of this stuff after the fact when I came on her out of curiosity. I wish I would have educated my self before I got a puppy. luckaly I got a great dog that at the moment seems very healty and is a great dog, and has the best termperment I could ask for. At what age should you get your dogs hips and elbows tested? Im not breeding but I would still like to know his health. And does your local vet do this testing?

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
You can get prelims done as early as 4 months. I would only use a vet that is experienced in positioning. Dr Mos Mostosky in Marshall Alta-Tollhaus German Shepherd Dogs is a pioneer in the field and fairly priced. He will read the x-rays so you don't have to have them sent out. For official OFA's they should be done at two yrs old.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
My personal opinion is that it's really not worth it to do with a dog that you're not planning to breed. I know x-rays aren't cheap and the dog has to be sedated. I figure if my dog has hip problems we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. And even a dog with excellent hips can still have orthopedic problems. When Rocky started limping I had him checked out by the vet-- turns out his hips are fine but he has arthritis in his spine!

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I think it is important, and if you do any type of sport work with your dog, then prelims are necessary. If there is a problem, early management is key to stopping the problems from getting worse.

Breeders also want to know what they are producing and many breeders have it in their contracts that hips/elbows are required before you can get full registration.
The dog can be mildly sedated, but not knocked out, it isn't that big a deal...

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I think it is important, and if you do any type of sport work with your dog, then prelims are necessary.
I didn't know that, thanks!

Breeders also want to know what they are producing and many breeders have it in their contracts that hips/elbows are required before you can get full registration.
I doubt the OP's breeder is one of those.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
OFA#GS82004G31M-NOPI.

GS=German Shepherd
82004=just record number of him being the 82004th GSD certified for hips
G=hip rating of Good
31=age in months when he was certified
M=Male
NoPI= No Permanent Identification. Either he is not permanently IDed with tattoo or microchip, or the vet didn't verify this at the time of x-ray and record it on the paperwork.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
if you do any type of sport work with your dog, then prelims are necessary. If there is a problem, early management is key to stopping the problems from getting worse.

The dog can be mildly sedated, but not knocked out, it isn't that big a deal...
I have never done prelims but both of my sport dogs have been OFA'd when they turned 2 years - both pretty near their 2nd bday too. I will have Madix done this summer when he turns 2 as well. I think Madix's breeder will like to know that he's been done - my other two are BYB dogs so no one cared but me lol

Thanks Chris! I just learned something new today!!! NOPI
Me too - was trying to figure that out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts