German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else finding newer nylabones to be hollow? They used to last much longer. I remember my dog chewing on one for about a year and one end being totally gone. Now after about two weeks one side has a big hole in it and it is hollow.

·
Registered
489 Posts
My one dog likes horn, large ones last a long time.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I bought Water Buffalo horns. My dogs go crazy over them. I have big chewers and they are lasting.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I bought Water Buffalo horns. My dogs go crazy over them. I have big chewers and they are lasting.
Isn't that the same hardness and present the same danger? I know alot of people say antlers cause breakage too.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Isn't that the same hardness and present the same danger? I know alot of people say antlers cause breakage too.
Probably. LOL. But my dogs are adults, with full and strong dentition. And to be honest, I am tired of Molly Coddling dogs for fear of "what if". "What if" they turn too fast and rupture a ACL, "what if" they are running through the woods and stick them self with a branch, "what if" they this and that. My dogs run and play and chew and have a blast.

Now if 50% of dogs broke a tooth on one, I would reconsider. But that's not the case. Yes it happens. Yes I am aware of the risk. I accept it. Just like I accept the risk of my dogs running through the woods, jumping off logs, tackling each other. Injuries happen. But that's just me

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
To prevent tooth fractures, the only thing they get are beef pizzle sticks and raw meat bones. Before theething pups get pressed rawhide, made in USA.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My dogs have several nyla bones, I only buy the ones made in the USA. We have not had any issues. The newer ones are still pretty much whole, but one of their older nyla bones is half chewed and it was solid. They also get bully sticks.

As for their teeth. My 10 year old dog just had a vet visit. The vet said his teeth are in great condition. She asked if I brushed them. No I don't. They also get bully sticks. My female (9 years old) dog did have a cracked molar that needed to be pulled. I have no idea how it cracked. Her teeth also had tarter build up. She had her teeth cleaned. I think it depends on the dog.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've only bought two, and fairly recently. Both were solid. But once the first got a chip in it, my boy figured out how to then bite off little chunks of it with little effort (not good, since these things are flavored!). As for the second...I forgot to check the back for the strength rating, and...well...30 seconds of chewing and I had to toss $12 into the trash can. >.>

We stopped at a newly opened pet store by us earlier and saw some other brand of similar nylon things. They didn't have any breed suggestions/strength ratings on any of them, so I didn't bother to purchase any of them...they looked like they would've been good, but that's how I made the previously mentioned mistake.

We did however find a toy to buy, which he just loves! It's called the 'Jolly Egg.' Pretty much, it's shaped like a giant egg and has a very smooth surface, and is made of a plastic. The thing is, it is nearly impossible for your dog to grab onto (provided you buy the large one). It's slick & bounces around as your dog touches it (it's very lightweight). He did manage to carry it a couple times, though...he had to carefully pin it down to the ground and between his paws, and punctured it with his long, pointy canines. The plastic is strong enough to survive bouncing around all over, but not high pressure pin points. It is still in good shape, just two little holes (not four, due to the sloping egg shape) and scratches on the surface. He was actually panting today--from a toy! Surprising, as it takes a lot to get him panting.

It is nice to find a toy that doesn't quickly turn into a million little pieces, other than ropes. But If you like the nylabones for chewing, then that egg isn't going to help there.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I have nylabones everywhere. If Brennan my youngest golden gets them they are as good as gone. He is powerful chewer, way more so then all 3 of my GSDs. Otherwise they last a while.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts