German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm getting my own first dog (i've grown up with family dogs all my life, but this one will be MY own!)

The dogs I went to look at are GSD mixed w/ Lab. The mother is a purebread GSD and the father is GSD/Lab Mix

Just wondering everyones opinions on this, how will his temperment be? And is there alot of common problems I have to look out for?
Thanks

-Ryan

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: willie
Just wondering everyones opinions on this, how will his temperment be?
There is no way to know. Are these puppies? If so were both parents there? And again, if so, what were there temperments like?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, both parents were there. They are 6 weeks old. The father was barking alot, the guy said he was overprotective of the mother, and the mother was normal, although she did jump up a bit much for my liking.

·
Registered
462 Posts
With any litter of any breed of puppies, you definately want to observe the parents before committing to purchasing the puppy.

My ex-boyfriend and I rescued a 9 month old GSD/Lab mix from a shelter, so we never got to see the parents or know what his previous home life was like besides some very basic information. We were very lucky because the dog turned out to be the perfect dog. He had the GSD smarts, alertness, and loyalty. But he was WAY more mellow, less mischevious/stubborn/high strung, less prey driven, and was friendly to everybody - which aren't typical GSD qualities. Maybe his parents both had really good temperments...we'll never know.

·
Registered
15,940 Posts
I've had two crosses - one GSD/Elkie one GSD/something -- both were terrific dogs. They had very different personalities but so have my four purebred GSDs.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
It should potentially be a great mix. Important to NOT get the puppies earlier than 7 weeks (8 even better). And really get to know the parent dogs. Both health AND temperment are genetic. I've heard that a good solid bitch is almost more an indicator because even before the puppies are taken away, the way she behaves with and around the puppies is something they pick up (good and bad).

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Wow, simply stated I doubt most folks could tell how a pup will turn out. Based on your own instincts take the dog you most like, for whatever reason and go from there.

I do like the mix, as my son has labs and I have two GSD's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts