German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out with Wolfie. He didn't want one of his treats. Another dog at the park saw Wolfie's treat, and was sniffing around me and fixated on it. Since Wolfie didn't want it, I asked the dog's owner if her dog could have it. She said yes, but he can't have anything for free, you need to make him do something for it. I asked him to sit, and give me his paw. I shook hands with him and gave him the treat. The lady snorted and said he's a lot smarter than that. He needs to do more than just a little trick like that! I didn't want to put a strange dog through his paces for a little treat. When NILF is practice does it matter what they do as long as they do something for a treat?

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I think you did fine. That lady expects more out of her dog for a treat, but how were you supposed to know that? I bet she felt the need to brag on her dog a bit, and that's fine, she's allowed.

We use NILIF here (works wonders) and we don't make the dogs jump through hoops for anything, but they have to sit before they can go outside, or get unclipped from the leash, that sort of thing. And if I have an extra treat in my hand, I just ask for something simple, like go sit on your pillow, or shake.

Another reason I think you did the right thing is that here you are, a stranger, asking this dog to do tricks. That in itself is worth the treat because it's a much bigger deal for a dog to do a trick for a stranger than his owner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts