German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the surgery become higher risk as the dog gets older?

When I got my cat spayed at 5 1/2 years old (or so) she was considered "high risk" and they took all kinds of special precautions with her.

Ghost is only 2 1/2 but I have to drop him off in a few hours and my mind is already thinking of all the things that could go wrong. They will do a blood test first to make sure everything is ok for the procedure but I'm already nervous and I haven't even dropped him off yet.

I don't know how I'm going to just sit by my phone for several hours this afternoon waiting to hear that everything went ok and I can pick him up.

My poor baby boy......

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I don't think there's any way to avoid worry when our babies are having surgery but a neuter (at any age) is a much faster and less invasive procedure than a spay, so that's something. The older an animal is, the longer it takes them to recover and the harder the surgery seems to hit them. The young ones we do are back to normal literally within hours and almost completely healed up in a couple days. The adults take a little longer and seem to feel it more, but at 2.5 Ghost is still a young and vigorous dog and a neuter is very straightforward. I bet he's back to normal and feelin' fine before you know it!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I had my male neutered at 5 and everything went fine. And he is actually a high risk dog being that he has epilepsy and we were not sure how he was going to handle it all. And I felt just like you when I dropped him off. I have never heard that it becomes a higher risk as the dog gets older (just longer recovery time), unless there are some underlying problems. Hang in there. I am sure he will be just fine.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
its scary anytime you put your babies under for any type of procedure. You can't help but be nervous. I was a freak when Brady had to go in just for penn hip.

I am sure he will be fine!!

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
I agree, he'll be fine. But its so very hard on us whenever there is a surgery involved. Please let us know how it went as I'm sure it will be ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts