German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 8 week old male gsd puppy who is a medium long coat, the breeder said he doesn´t have an undercoat. Wll he grow an undercoat as he gets older, or is it normal for some gsd´s to have only one coat? Also if he only will have one coat, does that mean he wont tolerate colder temperatures as with gsd´s with double coat?

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Working animal Companion dog

Here is a picture of my cute little furball, his name is Arek :)

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis, Reacher Auf Der Marquis
1,725 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Cute pup, love the name.

I cannot help with your question, but can offer observation of my pup. At 8 weeks she was a little soft, fluffy, fuzz ball and the adult longer stiffer fur came later. I just assumed it was only under coat at first and then guard hairs came latter.

What does your pup's fur feel like, down or hair?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Cute pup, love the name.

I cannot help with your question, but can offer observation of my pup. At 8 weeks she was a little soft, fluffy, fuzz ball and the adult longer stiffer fur came later. I just assumed it was only under coat at first and then guard hairs came latter.

What does your pup's fur feel like, down or hair?
Same. Our girl looked very similar to OPs when she was little. Then she lost her puppy coat (in big clumps all over the carpet!) and the thicker adult hairs came through. She has a proper double coat now. :D

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Highly doubt your puppy will not have an undercoat. Right now it is the puppy fuzz, and between 4-5 months the adult coat will begin to come in. It takes a while for the adult coat to completely come in for coated dogs. It's fairly uncommon to have a "True Long Coat" with no undercoat. What are the coat genes of each parent??

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 4 month old GSD mix pup has been transitioning to his adult coat for 2-3 weeks now. It started out with a small streak on his back at 13 weeks, and really started to replace the puppy fuzz at week 15. Right now he's between 35-40% adult coat and the rest puppy fuzz. at week 17,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts