German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I have always had problems walking my shepherd Tank,he is really dog aggressive and our neighborhood is filled with morons and their loose dogs.I found a place to walk him and it was a success.But the day after I noticed he was limping a bit on his back leg and kept licking his foot.I checked it out and there was nothing there but a worn down spot.I put some a and d ointment on it and he is doing better now.He is still a little bothered by it.Could it be he is just sore from a long walk that he hasn't had in a while or could it be that his foot pad is sore from the pavement.Tell me what you think.If it dosen't start feeling better I will take him to my work to get looked at.Thank you.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Take a look at his pads on his feet. Is there a cut? Maybe he needs to take some slow walks. Just until he heals up. If not better in a day or so, I'd take him in to the vet. Also, you might need to have him trained in basic obedience. Allie was a crazy walker until we had her trained. She still wants to lunge at other dogs, but we keep it in check. Also if the paws are cracked, I got this stuff called paw spa for Allie's paws. It's at petco. Very conditioning on the paws. Try some vaseline on them at night. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
are you sure it was from the walk the day prior or could it have happened in your backyard or in the house? There is a lot of creams out there that you can put on the pads of your dogs feet to toughen then up. I can't remember what some are I am sure that some one can recommend you some.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like part of the pad is a bit worn down,like if you scrape your arm on something.I've put some ointment on it and checked out his leg.He's not in any pain when I feel his foot but he pulls it away a little.I don't think he did anything in the yard but he has stepped on a thorn before and I had to pull it out of his foot,so it is possible.He dosen't walk on pavement often that's why I thought it was from walking.He did really well on the walk,didn't pull me once.He has always hated other dogs,so I try to be careful(he weighs 100lbs and is very persistent) but has made progress with strangers since being neutered.Thanks.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Not sure if this your problem but the first sign of spinal stenosis in my adopted greyhound was worn/sore spots on outside of one rear leg.Do NOT want to alarm you but check nails on affected paw for uneven wear.Most likely your pup has same thing I get when walking outdoors barefoot after long winter on carpet!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hope tank is feeling better soon. Let us know how he is feeling. My girl is 86 lbs. She is way over standard. I know when Allie pulls on the lead, I sure can feel it. I can only imagine 100 lbs. of pure GSD muscle pulling power. His name sound like it suits him. Watch out for the TANK!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea,he can be a pain to walk but he's not as bad as he used to be.He's not limping anymore I guess I have make his feet stronger.He used to try and compete with my other dog(boxer mix Igor)also about 90lbs.That was stressful,especially when he saw another dog(hold on tight!!!!!!!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I can't really tell from that picture but it does look like he could be overweight. Extra weight is very hard on the joints. You should see a cut to his back (a waist should be visible) and you should be able to easily feel his ribs.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
OH! They are very cute!!!!

I will be the one to say that the limping could be due to overweight and stress sores due to the extra weight. I say this as someone who could lose some too, so no offense to the big fella!

Walking with extra weight is really hard on a dog. Nina just gained 4 pounds to hit 70# and I can see her having to work harder. But we'll have to do the weight loss slowly and carefully so that I don't hurt her in helping her.

I generally add green beans and/or pumpkin to the kibble. I don't want to say what measurement I do because I am not a nutritionist and don't want to hurt your dog, but there are websites with information. I feed smaller meals throughout the day so they don't feel so hungry, too. So she eats 3x.

For the exercise, I start VERY slowly and work up. 10 minutes at a time to begin and then if tolerated we work up to 10 minutes 3x/day until she's ready for sustained walking (she has a bad hip and a bad knee on opposite hind legs).

She's on thyroid meds so you would think she would have just dropped weight, but apparently hers work as well as mine in that area!

You could also ask the vet about running a thyroid panel-I think the "gold standard" ones are through Michigan and Dr. Dobbs.

Then, wait to see what other people post because I am by no means the only one who has ideas on how to help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He has gained weight but he is ok,I've had him checked by a vet at my job and he said he was fine.Around his neck looks fat but he has grown a beautiful coat around his neck recently,he's never had such beautiful fur.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Please don't take offense but he still looks too heavy to me. Gsds should be very lean and your guy is really wide. Here is a picture of Rafi. My vet said he should LOSE a little weight in order to minimize stress on his joints:

And here is Basu, who had a stockier frame like your dog does:

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Tank, I''m agreeing with everyone else that you beautiful boy could take a few pounds off. LEAN and fit is a much better weight for our GSD's.

I've found that one of the problems with a healthy weight for us and our vet's comes down to something my vet told me. Over 80% of the dogs she sees are fat. Not just a bit heavy but actually fat. So our mental picture of a fit dog (as well as our vets) is skewed. We can all tell when a dog is grossly obese........... but rarely see lean and fit. So all the dogs in the middle that could lean up a bit aren't in our normal reference.

My 75 pound GSD only eats 3 cups (split into 2 meals) of kibble a day. With miles of off leash hikiing and agility for exercise.

Here's what I would like to have for my dogs and my 'mental' picture! These are all from the pedigreedatabase.com

Look at the muscle/dent between the end of his ribs and start of his thigh.... Ellex vom Salztalblick

VA2 Hill vom Farbenspiel

Our dogs do sometimes carry their weight differently, just like some of us have big thighs/legs (that's me
) and others carry all their weight in their bellies. Your dog does seem to have alot of weight in his neck/shoulders, so his belly may seem fine but he could still get those extra pounds off his shoulders.

A diet I have used on my dogs that they LOVE is the pumpkin diet! A vet came up with it, for active sport dogs (sure that's your boy!) and you can look it up Click Here

I'm trying to find a good neck/shoulder/head shot of my dog so you can see the perspective better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts