German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a GSD with a left brown eye and a right blue eye.

I was taken aback. GSDs typically have brown eyes but are mixed eye colors possible?

A GSD pup with it had normal brown eyes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Split eyes aren't uncommon in some breeds...or even parti-eyes (multiple colours in the same eye). I have never seen a blue eyed GSD though. Is that even genetically possible?

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Could it have been a cataract in the blue eye? Full cataracts give the eye a pale blue/white tint (but you won't see the pupil, and the dog will be blind in that eye).

Here's an example of the blueness of cataracts in a dog, so that you can compare to what you saw in the dog with one blue eye (this dog has them in both eyes):

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
A friend of mine has a GS with a brown and green eye. And yes pure GSD, from very nice working lines as well. It's the first time I had seen it and not wondered if something else got in the yard

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A friend of mine has a GS with a brown and green eye. And yes pure GSD, from very nice working lines as well. It's the first time I had seen it and not wondered if something else got in the yard

I thought mix but its possible for a purebred GSD to have a different eye color than brown or even mixed eye color. Its probably a genetic thing and its expressed differently depending on the dog.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The dilutes (liver and blue) often have green eyes, because of the effects of the dilution gene on the eye. I wouldn't expect to see anything lighter than amber on a B&T though? ...someone on the other thread mentioned "spontaneous mutation". I would very much like more information on that if anyone has knowledge of it. I recall seeing a coy/husky mix years ago with one blue eye, and blue is recessive, and the wild type can't carry it (barring mutation) so it should NOT have been there ;-o but at least in that case, it was common on one side. A recessive mutation present on both sides...? (both sire & dam GSD) It seems that "mix" is a more likely option. However...eye genetics are complicated, not a simple dominant/recessive thing. It would be super cool if somebody could clear that up.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
lol - eye color genetics - could you imagine how many ice blue eyed dogs we would have running around if it were an easy trait to bring into various breeds?

I would love to understand the eye color but man, that genetics stuff gets too much like math to me.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I saw a wolfdog the other day....malamute and grey wolf with a big fluffy reddish coat and ice white eyes. Canine genes are fascinating.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think it's fascinating ;-) but it's complicated. It's affected by more than one gene, and the amount of melanin in the eye is along a continuum (not a binary 1-or-0 thing). I tried to find the explanation for why green eyes are "closer to" blue eyes--more likely to produce them--but the closest I got was this. (at bottom) What is Polygenic Dominance? | Study.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts