German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes.

I'm taking about an eight hour drive to Tampa, and Apollo has been on vehicle rides before, but not that long. I don't know how he'll react so I want to be prepared. What medication can I use to safely sedate him incase he starts to panick or something? A quick response will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
I've taken my dogs on many long trips, never had to use anything to sedate them...it doesn't take hardly any time at all for all three of them to be fast asleep in the car. Hope you have a great trip!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand, but in the past, I've had a dog who hated car rides, cried the whole way. I just don't want this to be a repeat, and I don't want to go unprepared because an eight hour drive wouldn't be very pleasant with a whiney GSD.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I drove sarge 1500 miles without a single problem. Make sure he has food and fresh water, stop from time to time for potty breaks and let him stretch his legs, you should be fine. Your only talking about 9 hours or so, youll be fine, We did it with a moving truck so it took us two full days.

Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
CAll your vet and ask how much (dosage wise) of Benedryl you could give them. It has the same effect on people as it does on dogs when it comes to making you droswy. I gave it to my dogs when we drove from CT to NC for vacation. After about 4 hours she started to get really panicky and annoyed and started to constantly wine and jump in and out of my lap.. gave her some benedryl and she layed down in my lap and fell fast asleep. BUt call the vet first to ask how much to give i dont quite remember the number.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, the responses are appreciated, hopefully, we won't have to use it, but when I had my last GSD a few years back, we would take a four to six hour drive to Louisiana(sp?) and he cried the whole way, so everyone in the car was high strung. I still miss him though.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I think if he's used to being in the car for rides around town and so on and does well with that then he should do okay. I would plan to stop a few more times to let him out of the car to stretch his legs and go potty and get a drink of water. That will really help make the trip easier on your end and his.

Talk to your Vet about giving him something to calm him, he may not need anything and do great.

Also, maybe have a bone or a kong filled with something yummy (frozen peanut butter) that will keep him busy for awhile and help pass time.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
When we took an 8 hour road trip we tried to pull over and let the dogs out and stretch to potty and things about once every 2 hours for about a 10 minute break. A little hint for keeping cold water for them is freeze about a half gallon water in a gallon jug and then after frozed add water on top, it keeps fresh water for long trips and cool since it is wamr out now. Have a safe journey!!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I agreee with the others, if he is fine around town, he should be fine for a long trip. I drove from South Carolina to Washington state with a 5 month old puppy. Before that the longest ride he had ever gone on was about an hour. The trip took several days. But he had a BLAST on the long trip.

One thing I would do is tire him out right BEFORE you leave, and give yourself extra travel time so you can stop and let him play if he gets too bored.

I would also make sure he eats at least a couple of hours before you leave. Then I wouldn't feed him again until AFTER you arrive at your destination. That should help reduce the risk of him getting car-sick. He might be hungry when you get there but it won't hurt him.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Just make sure you are using some type of collar that when you are stopping for breaks that they cannot get spooked and slip out of and run off out of fright. This happened recently at a rest stop close to me. Owners had to stop trip and spends days looking for their dog. This story had a happy ending, but I am sure there are other scenarios like this that did not turn out so well.

Have a good time on your trip. And wishing you a safe trip there and back.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I would take your own water because it's is not the same from place to place.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I agree with everything everyone else posted ... especially about bringing your own water. That will make a big difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts