German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a FB group I am on, a woman posted a pic of her toddler in the middle of 3 adult GSDs who are all eating in a small kitchen (each dog has a bowl). Caption stating she likes to help feed the dogs, (child), she likes to kiss the dogs while they are eating. And some times she likes to dictate when they are done eating and take their bowls away while they still have food. Mom says "I usually tell her no and she will put the bowl back down but sometimes she puts the bowl away" (this is while food in bowl that dog was trying to eat.

I am curious what other people think about this?

·
Banned
311 Posts
I pity the FOOL who would ever try and touch that child!

Those dogs understand it is a BABY probably better than most humans living on the face of the earth! They would probably protect that child with their lives.

Now, if all of my human kids got along like that LIFE WOULD BE WONDERFUL! Daddy he touched my french-fry! :surprise:

2cents

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I'd never leave dogs and children that age unattended, and certainly not allow that type of behavior. You're just asking for trouble seriously

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
That's not how I've allowed my granddaughter to be with our dogs. She is 4 and loves to feed and water them. They have to stay back until she's finished, she leaves and then they are allowed to eat. I don't worry that they would hurt her, but I don't see any reason for them to not be allowed to eat their meals in peace.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well if I understood the post they are not unattended, mom is standing right there taking pictures of the child with the dogs while they eat.

Mom also stated that when she has had a new adult dog come into the house she always tested their reaction first my sticking her hand in the bowl while they eat, I suppose this was her method of being sure that it is safe to allow her toddler to act this way with the 3 adults as they are eating.

·
Banned
311 Posts
Well if I understood the post they are not unattended, mom is standing right there taking pictures of the child with the dogs while they eat.

Mom also stated that when she has had a new adult dog come into the house she always tested their reaction first my sticking her hand in the bowl while they eat, I suppose this was her method of being sure that it is safe to allow her toddler to act this way with the 3 adults as they are eating.
BIG mom LITTLE toddler! Does it equate?

The Golden rule - Never bite the hand that feeds you! :grin2:

·
Registered
76 Posts
My kids can feed my 3 dogs, they eat in their food in thier crate. My rule is yout put the bowl in the crate close it then let them eat in peace. My kids that are still at home are 8 and 9.

Do I think that my dogs would hurt my kids I would be confident to say 99.9% NO. They deserve to eat in peace I would not let humans do that to each other i.e. play with each other's food, why would I not carry on that etiquette to my dogs.

I would never have a toddler near 3 GSD eating no matter how trained and intelligent that are animals, animals can have a bad day and make a mistake . But everyone is different.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
While I do allow my dogs to eat in peace, I know a child can walk past them, play with their food, etc without issue. It is a must in our home that the dogs understand that. Just yesterday I spent the day with my dad and family with Batman and Brennan. The little boy was afraid of the dogs in the beginning and they left him alone. After an hour he fed them carrots. At one point he gave Batman two and took one away to give Brennan--not a single reaction-no growl, no dirty look--nothing. That is the way all my dogs MUST be. It is not even an option for them to act any other way. Toddlers do the darndest things and in order to protect them, my dogs are trained to know this.

I wouldn't put 3 dogs with food and a toddler in between them ever. All you need is one of those dogs to snap at another and the baby is in the middle--that is dangerous.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts

Sorry, I should have clarified. Unattended to me means allowing them to interact without being in control of the situation

The child is giving and removing the bowls at their own discretion and the mother is not in control of the situation at least part of the time.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
would my dogs allow it? Most likely. Would I allow my kids to do it or for them to think that it's ok? NO.
If nothing else, it goes under the caption of being rude which my kids learned from an early age is, well, rude. You don't give something and then take it away.
And if it happens on a regular basis? It's possible that it will eventually cause a problem that doesn't exist now. Dogs and humans all have bad days. Dog is hungry, cranky and just wants to eat. Kid takes away the bowl and the dog snaps at them. And, of course, the parent says it "just happened out of nowhere" Some days we just have a short fuse for being annoyed.

Now, letting the child HELP feed the dogs? Great.
Having the dogs (worked one on one) back away from the food bowl and the child drops in something tasty and the dog is released to eat again? Great.
What the child is doing in the description? No.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Not all GSDs are scary, crazy, nutzo, insane about their food.

If a mother has had the dogs for as long as she had the toddler, then she should know whether or not the dogs are safe with this behavior.

My sister's kids are not toddlers. But they do not live here. They can give food to any of my dogs, and they can move the dish while there is still food in it, and they can give food to three adult bitches who are busily falling over eachother trying to lick the kids' noses off.

I know my dogs. I know the kids. I do not test my dogs for the sake of testing my dogs, because I know my dogs.

Frankly, I wouldn't give kennel space to a dog that couldn't be trusted in the above situation -- safe around a toddler who lives with the dog.

Feeding three adult shepherds together is the most questionable part of this. And some adults can certainly be fed together. If I had to separate adults to feed them, I don't see that as an issue. But if I couldn't trust a dog that was raised with a toddler, I wouldn't have the dog.

Maybe, more and more temperament problems are cropping up with dogs because people are becoming more and more tolerant of such things, and are not culling dogs that might bite in such a situation. And are ensuring no situation arises to give any idea of the dog's true nature and so are breeding these dogs.

Yes a toddler should be able to put its hands in and pick up a dog's food bowl without being eaten. Dogs are terribly tolerant of children. They do not view them as puppies or other dogs. People who can't trust their own dogs in such situations project that to other dogs.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Archer is not food possessive at all, but even so, I use my grandmother's maxim with regards food, 'Let that dog eat in peace' she'd tell me whenever I stuck my grubby paws into our (very tolerant) dog's business. She also was big on letting the dog sleep in peace too. It's hard to say as I don't have small children any longer, but I'd expect Archer to allow a child take anything away without resorting to a bite, but I can't imagine he'd be thrilled about being disturbed when he's trying to eat his meal.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
Yes a toddler should be able to put its hands in and pick up a dog's food bowl without being eaten. Dogs are terribly tolerant of children. They do not view them as puppies or other dogs. People who can't trust their own dogs in such situations project that to other dogs.
I agree completely. My issue is that, from the sound of it, the toddler is allowed to do it on a regular basis. THAT I have a problem with. Mainly because I think that a toddler is more than old enough to be taught that it's not nice to do, bother animals (or people) while they are eating.
I view it as allowing the child to annoy the dog. And, on that basis, I think that it slightly increases the chances of a dog growling out of annoyance. And, in my experience, most people who think that allowing kids to pester dogs is ok would consider the warning to be "out of nowhere" and assume that the problem is with the dog.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
On a FB group I am on, a woman posted a pic of her toddler in the middle of 3 adult GSDs who are all eating in a small kitchen (each dog has a bowl). Caption stating she likes to help feed the dogs, (child), she likes to kiss the dogs while they are eating. And some times she likes to dictate when they are done eating and take their bowls away while they still have food. Mom says "I usually tell her no and she will put the bowl back down but sometimes she puts the bowl away" (this is while food in bowl that dog was trying to eat.

I am curious what other people think about this?

While visiting a friend, my son then about 2, wandered through the kitchen with us where the dog was eating and as he passed friends dog he put his hand on the dogs back. The dog spun and snapped. Fortunately he missed.

Kids will be kids. Dogs need to understand that it is never appropriate to snap.
All of my dogs eat in their crates, because they deserve to eat in peace and it prevents any possibility of an accident.
That said, not one of them even blinks about people touching them, or their dishes. When Sabs was young my son often fed her and held her dish while she ate, offered treats by hand and stuck fingers in her kibble. She had a choice, deal with it or walk away. I do the same with fosters and did the same with Shadow. In fact Shadow prefers someone be touching her while she eats. I will not tolerate food aggression, or for that matter resource guarding of any kind.
I say Kudos to mom for teaching her dogs the rules.

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
My dogs certainly would be able to handle a toddler in that situation, they just shouldn't have to deal with it on a regular basis. I guess it's a two fold situation. The dogs should be tolerant, and the child should be taught that dogs deserve to eat in peace.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I think that if you are going to raise children and GSDs, that you need bomb proof dogs, dogs that know from day 1 that the kid can run, scream, stumble, play with your food.

Ok, who wants to let a baby play with a dog's kibble -- ick salmonella -- everything goes into a baby's mouth, everything. Kibble. Hands that touched kibble certainly. But, on the other hand allowing a dog to be irritating with a kid around a dog's food, well, yeah, you can certainly teach your toddler to respect the dog and leave its food alone when it is eating, leave it be when it is sleeping.

But you cannot ensure that every child that comes into your home will have that type of respect for animals. Yes, you can be right there every moment, but with three adult dogs and a child or more children, how can you afford a dog that is snarly when any kid comes up near him when he eats? Will you sprint to the window, "Oh, it's the McFarlands, and their brood of 7 monster kids! Quick throw Brutus into his kennel downstairs and Molly into her crate in the bedroom! Lock the bedroom door!"

With toddlers, usually you have a parent or two per child, so it might be manageable, but as kids get bigger, sometimes friends come over and parents don't. That is called a normal childhood. Every child should be able to have a normal childhood. And no, they should not have to put the dog up to have a couple of kids over. Kids are unpredictable. Even the most responsible kid might forget to tell their new buddy not to go near Buddy when he is eating -- can't have that.

So, having the child right there in the room with the adults, and everyone totally clear that the child can move freely around them and their food, is probably, given the dogs are good dogs, a responsible thing to do.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Many years ago we had a German Shepherd/St Bernard. Everything about him was mostly GSD except his size--140 pounds. By the time my son was born this dog was 14+ and quite grumpy and not liking kids like he used to. When my son was about 8 months old, I left him in the basement sleeping to clean on the third floor. Imagine my surprise when I came downstairs and there was my son laughing, sitting next to this dog pattin him on the back. The dog looked less then thrilled. I did not breath when I took the next five steps, then I kept saying good boy Thunder, what a good dog as I swooped down to get my son. There was no way to predict that this kid would climb out of his crib, over a gate and up 15 stairs at 8 months old. That dog could have done serious damage but he didn't even growl. Yes he was glancing sideways at my son but he knew better even if he was an old grouch. Thunder did good that day.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts