German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I recently bought a German import. Turns out he may have elbow dysplasia. When I started voicing my concern to broker I basically got told that it’s a puppy & these things happen. Basically not our problem. So a couple things I realize may have been a mistake on my end. The broker never once saw or touched the dog. We went & picked puppy up from sf airport. Later on I realized that didn’t seem right. Seems like he should have gone to at the least look the dog over, being an expert on German Shepard’s. We noticed early on the right front paw was turned out a bit but thought that because he was a puppy maybe he was still growing etc. he has a slight limp also. hopefully I can get some feedback. Basically the people him I bought from told me it’s a risk w puppies & here are some tips to deal with it & good luck. We think he came to us like this. They think it happened as the puppy grew. Like a person w pigeon toes it happens. We have a video from him as a puppy before we got him & when I look back at it I think I can see him favoring his right side & a turned out paw. I just hope to get advice from somebody who did not make any money on him.

Attachments

·
Registered
Luke, Leela
120 Posts
I would never get a puppy unseen. I go to the breeder and see the parents, see their paperwork and check out the litter. Why on earth would I ask a total stranger to pick out my dog? If I had to use a broker I wouldn't get the pup. End of story. Germany or wherever he comes from keep all the top of the line shepherds and sell off the less than perfect to Americans, not in all cases but frequently.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the feedback. He wasn’t a total stranger & is well known handled/breeder/importer who I had met before. But I totally agree with you I was ignorant

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just feel like an idiot & that I was suckered. I’m embarrassed to even post how much we paid. I was told to just bring the dog back for a refund but that’s a mean old trick to play. My wife & kids are bonded to him as am I. Even if I wanted to bring him back my family Would be devastated. Plus this guy completely bad mouthed another breeder when I told him I was considering buying from her for the exact same reason I am having now.

·
Registered
Luke, Leela
120 Posts
I just feel like an idiot & that I was suckered. I’m embarrassed to even post how much we paid. I was told to just bring the dog back for a refund but that’s a mean old trick to play. My wife & kids are bonded to him as am I. Even if I wanted to bring him back my family Would be devastated. Plus this guy completely bad mouthed another breeder (nadelhaus) in Redding, Ca. when I told him I was considering buying from her for the exact same reason I am having now.
How upset would your family be if you returned the dog and went to the other breeder for a pup? They'd have another puppy so it may work out in the long run.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don’t think we could do that. Common sense tells me yes. But taking him back after 5 months would be wrong to the dog, at least to us anyways.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He seems like he’s not in much pain but he favors his left side a bit. These dogs are tough they can mask pain. He pushes off with his left always. His X-rays the bones look twisted a bit. I just hope he will be ok but I see some surgeries in the future.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It’s hard for me not to believe what the first comment said in this thread. That they will sell a dog that has an imperfection knowing that an ocean & thousands of miles separate us. They hide behind the fact that Germany has the most struck guidelines for breeding in the world, which they probably do. But if they see a potential problem in a puppy from certified parents they can still sell it, hope for the best & say oh well sorry it happens you wanted a puppy. Is it me or is this kind of wrong. I take the blame for the situation I should have been more skeptical. I just wish they would have some accountability.

·
Registered
11,441 Posts
People make the mistake thinking that a dog from the dog's country of origin, they get good quality. They don't sell their top dogs unseen too buyers. I know my breeder actually goes over to Europe when he is interested in a dog and has the contacts.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yes of course it's wrong and they should have accountability and they should have a conscience as well but I doubt they do. Like you say you've had this boy for 5 months and you and the family obviously love him. You've had him at the vets so know the situation. I agree they are tough dogs but he WILL let you know he's hurting.

Don't beat yourself up over this. Look at it this way. This young fella is now in a home that cares about him, imagine he went to someone who had no interest in him because of his "condition" Take pride in the fact you're giving him a loving home.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I just feel like an idiot & that I was suckered. I’m embarrassed to even post how much we paid. I was told to just bring the dog back for a refund but that’s a mean old trick to play. My wife & kids are bonded to him as am I. Even if I wanted to bring him back my family Would be devastated. Plus this guy completely bad mouthed another breeder (when I told him I was considering buying from her for the exact same reason I am having now.
My bet is that your broker is pissed at the other breeder because she probably refuses to sell him pups to broker. So sad that there is such a thing, a broker for dogs.

Well, ya live and learn, this will be your first, and last time using a 'dog broker'. It was probably meant to be, this dog deserves your families love, and your family deserves his. When someone I'm dealing with, business wise, bad mouths some one in their business, I walk quietly away. YELP is your friend, at least you can write a review.

I read a LOT of YELP reviews when looking to make a purchase for just about anything.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello. He is a trainer /breeder/ importer. I just refer to him as a broker may not be the correct term. I do think he cares about his dogs & is an “expert”. I also do believe it’s easy for him to let one go if there’s a problem. Our dogs come in our house. Sleep inside & are a part of the family. I did research on where to buy. I was ignorant on how to go about each step in getting the dog. Like knowing he should have picked up & looked over the dog, not us. It just was done all wrong. I should have seen the signs, like how he had only about 10 mins of personal interaction when I met him & was in a hurry to go. & if we picked up he should have insisted on at least seeing the dog. So the motivation was to make a quick buck. Whatever time & effort it takes to arrange a puppy to get to sf & 10-15 minutes of meeting (paying). They are currently offended that im mad about the situation over a couple mildly angry emails after multiple emails from the broker here & Germany. This guy is active on this forum & would most definitely argue w me over it.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
You told the seller the puppy may have an issue. The seller told you that these things are possible with any puppy. You told the seller you confirmed the issue, through x rays I’m assuming, and they offered you a refund or replacement for bringing the dog back. You chose neither and are now upset. What is it you expected when you told the seller there was an issue?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think it’s the connection also and please excuse me if I’m wrong but it’s not like when I got Zac, a drive off 1.5 hours (which to me is a trek) but getting him back to Germany etc that could be daunting. Every minute you spend with the pup makes that bond stronger. I can sympathise with the OP but understand where you are coming from as a transaction issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That’s easy to say harder to do. See normal people who don’t sell dogs & don’t make money off them get attached. I have a wife & 2 kids. What does that show them? To give up on somebody or something when it’s tough? Not to mention how the dog would feel. If he didn’t bash another breeder saying it would be a “big mistake” for not going with her & literally how terrible she is & why he’s better etc, I would probably feel different. . When you talk big & charge thousands, you have to be more helpful w solutions. Not 1 or 2 thousand, not 3. More. I would offer half the money back to help ease the problem & be a lot more apologetic & concerned. But to simply say well give it back then is a dirty game to play with people who are not wheeling & dealing dogs w little concern. If you have a heart you unfortunately are stuck w a problem. I have a video of him as a puppy that looking back I believe I can see the issue at around 10 weeks old. These expert Germans should have a far better eye than I do. So I believe they sold us the least favorable dog of the littler for way more than they should have. Unethical.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But I do agree it’s my mistake. I went about it all wrong & believed somebody kind of blindly. & for that I’m getting what I deserved. Luckily he is still a cool, smart dog. Hopefully he doesn’t have to go through surgeries or be put down young. My wife would do anything for him to avoid that. But I’m not sure how it will end.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Don’t Molly coddle him, he doesn’t know he has issues and he’ll find his own level. Do what you’re doing. Try to draw a line in the sand and move in with your pup. The only p ask he needs to fit into is yours and he’s already doing that. Don’t go soft on him though cause in his head he’s still a GSD and will push to be alpha at some point 😀

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
That’s easy to say harder to do. See normal people who don’t sell dogs & don’t make money off them get attached. I have a wife & 2 kids. What does that show them? To give up on somebody or something when it’s tough? Not to mention how the dog would feel. If he didn’t bash another breeder saying it would be a “big mistake” for not going with her & literally how terrible she is & why he’s better etc, I would probably feel different. . When you talk big & charge thousands, you have to be more helpful w solutions. Not 1 or 2 thousand, not 3. More. I would offer half the money back to help ease the problem & be a lot more apologetic & concerned. But to simply say well give it back then is a dirty game to play with people who are not wheeling & dealing dogs w little concern. If you have a heart you unfortunately are stuck w a problem. I have a video of him as a puppy that looking back I believe I can see the issue at around 10 weeks old. These expert Germans should have a far better eye than I do. So I believe they sold us the least favorable dog of the littler for way more than they should have. Unethical.
I don’t know you, the broker or the breeder. I don’t really care to either. You seem dead set on playing the blame game and playing the victim. Could you be the victim of some shady dealings? Sure. It’s just as likely that you are just unlucky. I’ll also tell you most German show lines I know of go for 3+. I don’t think that’s important. What I will say is if you have an expectation of how things like this should be handled, you should probably discuss it before hand. If you expect to more support, you probably shouldn’t be looking at imports. Based on the other things you say about what you expect to happen in situations of dysplasia, you shouldn’t be importing a dog. I’m just pointing out the facts that I see. You can leave the emotion baiting for someone else.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ya we are very firm he’s still kind of big & strong. One thing that’s totally fine are his jaws!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts