German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering the age that is the best to get a puppy spade. Our vet said that they would do it at 3 month I just thought that it was sort of early... Just trying to get some feedback from other people

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I agree, 3 months is kind of early. I've always owned males so I can't speak to spaying, I'll let someone more experienced with females chime in here; but I think 3 months is way to early.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just wondering the age that is the best to get a puppy spade. Our vet said that they would do it at 3 month I just thought that it was sort of early... Just trying to get some feedback from other people

spayed* whoops

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Way back when Lucky was a puppy we had her spayed at 6 months on the nose. We had no problems with her after the first couple days recovery but she was very sore for the first couple.

I had Shania done after 1 year (small breed) and one heat.

Now I would not consider spaying before 2 years or later no matter what my vet says. I don't believe there are enough benefits to early spay to warrant its risks. If I ever alter another animal it will be an adult and finished growing both up and out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts