German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, i just got a pair of male 7 week german shepherds since we moved out of the city and into a national forest right on the highway... main concern right now is for the pups not to get hit by cars; invisible fence is in the mail, but someone told me that they shouldn't be trained for that until they are 9 months old, how true is that and how soon could they be trained for invisible fence? because until then they're somewhat of a prisoners for most of the time instead of roaming free

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Hi new member.

I'm a big fan of crate training for puppies. It's the easiest way to housebreak them, and it's a safe place to keep them when you can't actively watch them. Puppies that are started on crates early love them. It's like their own private den to chill out in.

Get a separate crate for each pup.

I don't know anything about invisible fences. But I wouldn't trust any pup with that as their only protection. Spend the next year working on a rock-solid "come" command. In the meantime, a crate is the way to go.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Welcome! You will find a lot of helpful info and great GSD people here!
At 7 weeks they should not be roaming free for multiple reasons, one is picking up viruses and other heath reasons. Your vet should inform you, or already should have informed you of that when they get their check ups and shots.
Next, they are not really even old enough to be taken from their mother, and they are definitely not old enough to be shocked! I would say 6 months minimum and use the crate like recommended already.
I would also recommend socializing them as much as possible with you, your family and friends, and strangers, while be aware of the dangers of parvo and the like. 14-16 weeks is earliest age for puppy classes, just to give you an idea of age for training.
Good Luck and Welcome!

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I trained mine to invisible fence at 5 months.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
And keep in mind that invisible fences do NOT keep other animals OUT of your yard. If you leave those puppies outside alone, they could be killed by another animal.

Some dogs also don't "work" with an invisible fence. No matter how much they are trained, if they have any brains at all, they learn that it "only hurts for a second" and will blow right thru the fence if they so desire.
And no matter HOW old they are then should NOT be "roaming free".

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
I am not a fan of an electric fence.

Two seven week old puppies are a handfull. I would go to a pet store and buy two four foot high x-pens. This is a temporary deal though.

If you hook them together, you can have an 8' by 8' area where the pups can play/potty off lead while you are right there with them. I would not leave them outside in such a fence alone at all. If you have a building like a garage or the back of your house where your back door is, you can make the pen larger by using a side of a building as one side by screwing eyelets into the building and clipping the x-pens to it.

If the back door opens to this area, you can stay by the door while your pups go out to potty and not have to worry about them getting away from you and hit by a car.

Good luck with your puppies.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
don't let your puppies roam free even with the invisible fence. an invisible fence for 7 week old puppies, i don't think that's good. why would you want to shock a 7 week old puppy? crate them. if you have to leave them outside build them a pen and make sure no other animal can get to them. i'm not a fan of e-collars and invisible fencing. i teach borders. in the house my dog is not allowed in the bathroom. outside he can play on our lawn and two of our neighbors and he doesn't go into the street. if he's playing with his ball and it rolls into the street he stops on the lawn or in the driveway. i know this is a small area compaired to yours but they can learn a larger area. after your dogs are grown it's still not a good idea to let them roam free.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Originally Posted By: rytisss because until then they're somewhat of a prisoners for most of the time instead of roaming free

Don't think of it as prisoners....think of it as protecting the babies. You will need to have 100% control over them for a long, long time. Start getting them used to a light leash soon...just put it on and let them drag it around. Don't worry if they play with it...because they will. If they are not in an pen of some kind, you will want to be able to control them. Soon, you will be able to have them on a long line. You will still have control, but they will have a bit more freedom to roam.

I wouldn't let them have any freedom in your yard without a fence (a real fence). I don't know anything about invisible fences...only what I've heard...and that is they work for some dogs and some they don't. Key word...dogs, not puppies.

Good luck, fill up with lots of patience...you've got your hands full with 2.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You'll find loads of great advice here.

An inexpensive solution would be the green wire fence at Home Depot or Lowes. For under $100, you could install a nice safe area for them to romp in the back yard.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the responces!
I got two more questions:
1. they really, really like to bite each other, so I was wondering if it's ok to let them play and also if it's ok for their ears, because I'm concerned to have their ears stand up since the woman who sold them said don't play with their ears
2. at what stage should their ears generally stand up? because one had one of his ears up for a couple of days at 7.5 weeks, but now its down again, and I suspect they just bite on each others ears too much that's why. so should they be separated? they're 8 weeks old now

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Two 7 week old puppies and questions...

rytisss, tons of your puppy questions are already being discussed down in the puppy section. Specifically there is an entire topic of 'ears up' right here:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=38&page=1

You need to realize getting littermates the same age is MUCH more difficult than only getting one puppy at a time. To the extent most responsible breeders won't sell you 2 cause they know it's not fair to the puppies or new owner. Some important things to keep in mind are on these 2 sites:

http://leerburg.com/2dogs.htm

http://www.gsdhelpline.com/2pups.htm

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Two 7 week old puppies and questions...

thx for the links, I will check them out now, but wow, i'm surprised, theyre so happy together and seem to be playing all the time and it seems to me on the contrary it's better if their the same age???

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: doggiedadan invisible fence for 7 week old puppies, i don't think that's good. why would you want to shock a 7 week old puppy?
Ok, I know you didn't say that you were going to "shock" your puppies. You asked WHEN you could start training them for invisible fence, which is more than simply a "shock" system.

I think it will be a while before it would be a good idea. Invisible Fence's website says they should be 8 weeks old. I think that's entirely too young. Pups at that age are going through their first fear stage. You want them out exploring the world -- safely, and under your watchful eye -- but you want them out learning that the world is a safe place. A zap at the wrong time, even a small zap, can actually have long-term (even lifelong) consequences. We don't want that for your little guys.

Also, as others have mentioned, Invisible Fences don't work on all dogs. I was outside last month when our neighbor's chocolate lab, a most mellow girl, blasted through the fence after a man and his Jack Russell who were walking down the street. Why? We couldn't figure it out. My neighbors have Invisible Fence, not a cheapie system. They had it professionally trained. The dog isn't a high drive dog. She's actually quite a couch potato. I don't recall her ever breaking through the fence before. But there she went. My husband hopped our fence and grabbed her. She was wearing her collar and it was turned on.

Who knows what happened? We can't figure it out. But the thing is, your little guys need a lot of training about cars, that cars aren't safe, that when you call, they need to come running, etc before you let them anywhere near that highway. Depending on the time of day and weather conditions, many drivers won't stop even if they hit your baby. They'll likely think it's a coyote and keep right on going.

Can you build a relatively small penned area? Use something like pasture fencing, which isn't too expensive (and will be very handy when you end up buying sheep because your dogs LOVE herding later on
) My pups don't get much freedom. They don't need it. They get tethered to me, they go for lots of walks and explore the world THAT way. When something startles/frightens them, I'm there to encourage them, help explain what that thing is.

Last week, my savvy adult GSD and I were in the deep forest on a hike. It was pretty shadowy and there was something that kind of looked like a stumpy bear staring at us off the side of the trail. He was startled, and started to bark at it. I went up and kicked it. It was a tree stump that had broken off at a weird angle and certainly DID look like small bear on his hind paws (or an evil overgrown gnome or something). My dog then came up behind me and looking at me carefully, approached it, and sniffed. He then relaxed. He was very cautious as we passed it on our way out though.

Your pups are going to meet thousands of evil overgrown gnome-type creatures in your wonderful forest home (may I come live with you, BTW?). If you are able to interpret these things for them, they will glide seamlessly in and out of their first and second fear stages. They won't be hurt by any predators. Or prey, who fight back as though their lives depend on it. They won't bother the neighbors. They won't leave your property. They won't get hung up on bushes, vines, logs, and get hurt.

In other words, they'll be safe.

You have two wonderful little guys. Enjoy every second of their puppyhood WITH them. They'll be adults entirely too soon. And take your camera and video camera with you. Bring water and pack a lunch. You won't want to go back to the house til dark.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Two 7 week old puppies and questions...

wow, thx for the links Maggie, that was helpful info!! I still don't feel sorry for buyng two brothers, but will definetely make some changes starting tomorrow morning

1 - 14 of 14 Posts