German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am the happy owner of Django, a 9 month old male German Shepherd! I have been questioning some redness and small amounts of "brown goop" in his ears and i was wondering if many others have had this problem?I also clean out his ears every couple days. I have seen the vet and he first prescribed amoxicilin pills and to try ear mite and flea drops but haven't seen much change. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Are his ears bothering him? Does he shake his head, paw/scratch at his ears, of whine and pull away when you pet him on the head and scratch him behind the ears? Do his ears smell bad? Like Yeasty, or like Nacho Chips?

If not, then I wouldn't worry about a bit of brown goop - his ears don't look bad at all in those pics. Did the vet actually diagnose an infection, or check for mites? I don't understand why he would prescribe anti-biotics and/or mite treatment if he didn't actually check for those things.

Ear mites in GSDs is not very common - you're more likely to find them in cats, not dogs. Diagnosing mites is not hard - just a swab sample from the ears and a check under a microscope.

Otherwise, cleaning his ears every two days may actually be irritating the ears and causing the redness. Try cutting down to a once-a-week cleaning, and see how things are.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome thank you very much for the information! He doesn't shake his head much and I've never seen him scratch at his ears, although he does love when I scratch his ears but I figured that was just a dog thing. The ears have a mild odor but again I recall most of the dogs I had growing up having some sort of odor from their ears but never had any ear infection problems. I will try to reduce the amount I clean his ears and see if that is the culprit on the redness. We also live in the Midwest and it is pretty cold outside so maybe that has to do with some of the redness? He is decently active outside but never left outside for more than 10-15 minutes (less time if its very cold)

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Healthy ears do not smell bad at all. Only clean if they are dirty, not as a preventative. What do you feed your dog?
I would use a mild natural oil like almond, jojoba or a light olive oil and see what it does. For the redness, fresh Aloe Vera gel from the plant, maybe?
Avoid alcohol based solutions as they dry out the skin.
Weird that your vet prescribed antibiotics for a non-diagnoses. If you haven't started these, I would question your vet and ask him why he thought that that was a good idea? If you have started the antibiotics, make sure you support his system with probiotics, 2 hours away from the anitbiotics so they don't get killed by the antibiotics..

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
The most probable cause of the gunk is a mild yeast infection. Anti-biotics won't do anything for a yeast infection, but they could help with a secondary infection if his ears are really bad. I can't diagnose off the internet, especially since I'm not a vet, but like I said, his ears don't look all that bad from the pictures.

The yeast infection may be an allergic reaction to diet. A lot of people have reported a clearing of chronic ear infection in their dogs once they switched over to raw, so that may be something you may want to consider. I doubt it is the cold that is causing issues. The cold has never been a problem for Gryffon's ears (or the ears of any of my previous dogs). Yeast overgrowth would be more likely in a warm and damp environment - so something to watch for in the summer and/or if your dog likes to go swimming a lot.

One thing you can get for his ears is Zimox:

[ame]http://www.amazon.ca/Zymox-Solution-0-5-Percent-Hydrocortisone-1-25-Ounce/dp/B007NVJAJG/ref=sr_1_1/176-2029898-8624522?ie=UTF8&qid=1454958846&sr=8-1&keywords=zymox[/ame]

Save to use, and very effective! I heard about it on this forum, and it does as advertised. I order it on-line since I can't get it locally.

(Ha! Posted at the same time as wolfy dog)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your quick comments! I'll make another appointment for him and make sure to get all the facts, and thank you for your recommendation on the ear solution! I will be looking into getting some of that soon to give that a try. Also will be looking into the food we give him, the food hes is currently eating is "Authority (Puppy) Large Breed". Not sure if that helps at all.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I'm not familiar with Authority, but I did a google search for ingredients. It does contain corn, with many dogs can be allergic to.

See if you can fnd some other high-quality food with no soy, wheat or corn - all common allergens.

I can't recommend anything, I feed raw and I'm not very familiar with the different types of dog food and their ingredients, but there is plenty of controversy on this board about what is the best dog food to keep one entertained for hours. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts