German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Thor has been on RAW for a week and a half now and I swear I can already see a difference. His poop is great everyday and even though he is now slightly on the skinny side he seems healthier and even happier (pictures to come).

It's a still a couple of months away but I am going on a weeklong fishing trip (in the middle of nowhere) and since we know we will get fish won't bring more than absolutely necessary and I wanted to ask about giving whole fish to the dog, those small pointy bones won’t be a problem?

Cheers,

-Thomas-

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Those bones won't be a problem for him

My pups love fish. Just that KC doesn't like the heads.
I would just cut off the fins and feed whole, ungutted.

·
Registered
213 Posts
So you can really give a dog a whole raw fish? Not cooked at all? Sorry I'm sure this sounds stupid.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Yes, absolutely. My dogs mostly eat just mackeral (for the ease of cutting it up and the price) - but they have had whole tilapia and cat fish. I do cut off any sharp fins on the larger fish and my female doesn't do the heads, but my male likes them (well, he likes anything). Mine also get whole sardines.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent. He will get loads of fish that week then

I was pretty sure it was ok, just wanted to get it confirmed. Thanks

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
YAYYY for Thor!!
Grimm got thinner in the beginning, too.. then I adjusted to adding a bit more food, and he is now at his ideal weight-- for the first time in his life. Just wait till Thor has been on raw a couple of months! You will notice lots of differences.

Grimmi gets Baltic herring whole--the heads and eyes provide vitamin E and the fact it is whole fish, with the innards, makes Baltic herring (or sardines, or whatever) pretty healthy to feed.

Have fun fishing!!

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: Aryg2461So you can really give a dog a whole raw fish? Not cooked at all? Sorry I'm sure this sounds stupid.

Well, Wait. I interrupt (again!) with my usual warning. IF you live in the Pacific Northwest you absolutely can NOT feed raw salmon, steelhead, trout or other fish that swim upstream to spawn. It will make your dog very ill, could likely kill him.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/clientED/salmon.aspx

So if you have caught your fish in Northern CA, OR, WA, or BC, do not feed it raw. If you bought this sort of fish and don't know where it was caught, do not feed it raw.

Ok, my public service announcement is done.

Ok. Back to regularly-scheduled programming.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
I have a Titanic Freezer Of Death.
It deep-freezes at below 32 degrees. Can we feed these fish raw if they have been deep-frozen for a week or two?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts