German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what you think about how my dog looks. She is 14 months and probably a little over 50 lbs. I am wondering is she too thin? I do alot of excercise with her. I have her on diamond naturals, and 4 health, but I just recently purchased taste of wild for her. I have been free feeding her since she was 6 weeks. She normally does not eat all her food at once. I have taken her to the vet about a month ago, and the vet said she was fine. I am just concerned that she is not at "average weight"? I have posted a video of me and her below thanks.

Hope Early March 2013 - YouTube

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
she doesnt look too thin, some dogs are smaller than others, and she is less than a year and a half I bet she will fill out a bit more until she reaches around 2.5 or 3 years of age

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
She sure is cute! Love that face and those FLUFFY ears!

·
Banned
363 Posts
Hope is beautiful! She looks slender to me, but she's still young and has her major bulking up to do yet. She'll continue to grow and gain mass until she's around 3 years old.
She's such a smart girl too! I'm sure she makes you proud! And love the guinea pigs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the reply. Also note that I have recently given Hope a hair cut. I know its winter but we live down south. In the video you see her after she got a hair cut. I think shes a long hair GSD.

·
Registered
120 Posts
looks fine to me. might want read up on "bloat" and elevated feeding.
what about it? Everything I've read says elevated feeding is good.

to the OP, I'm new to GSDs but she looks good to me :) Just still young, but she's obviously a small frame girl. She's not going to be an 80lbs female that's for sure.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
There is quite a bit of disagreement in elevated bowls. Most studies now suggest the best wAy to prevent bloat us limited excersise, before and after feeding, and making sure they eat slowly, and separating feeding amounts into multiple small meals.

I think there was some discussion as to feeding them elevated increasing the risk.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
120 Posts
Huh interesting. I new the feeding multiple meals and not right before or after exercise. I havent read anything yet about elevated bowls INCREASING risk. But something to look into.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I was wondering what you think about how my dog looks. She is 14 months and probably a little over 50 lbs. I am wondering is she too thin? I do alot of excercise with her. I have her on diamond naturals, and 4 health, but I just recently purchased taste of wild for her. I have been free feeding her since she was 6 weeks. She normally does not eat all her food at once. I have taken her to the vet about a month ago, and the vet said she was fine. I am just concerned that she is not at "average weight"? I have posted a video of me and her below thanks.

Hope Early March 2013 - YouTube
How are her stools? Are they healthy?

Not soft or oily?

GSD tend to be a skinny breed in early months. Healthy poop is a good sign.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts