German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is in the right forum but...here goes. Mods feel free to move if I goofed (sorry). :rolleyes:
====
:help:

Xander, from the time we got him, would occasionally eat poo. After changing his food from Kirkland puppy to Orijen he stopped. Until last night. UGH

:confused:

So, long story short, he obviously ate some poop since when he came inside after being out and grabbed a toy there was poop on the toy. He grabs everything with his mouth. Needless to say that was a large load of laundry full of poopy toys. I know it was in his mouth too since I took a towel and it seemed to be "trapped" in his gum area. *barf* :sick::sick::sick:

Well, last night and this morning I gave both him and my other dog some canned, crushed pineapple. Hopefully this works but I wish I knew WHY he was doing it. :confused:

Any other suggestions for poo-eating or why?

I feed him the recommended amount of Orijen per bag and he's the right weight...not too thin. But he does seem to be hungry if I give him more...well, he'll eat it I don't know if he's actually hungry.

Could it be boredom? What kind of stimulating toys could I put outside for him...I'm going to the pet store Tuesday so I can get some stuff. Any ideas? Maybe I need to get more Kongs. I don't know. :shrug:

Also, off the topic of poo-eating.

I got some of these from Best Bully Sticks:

Best Bully Sticks Knuckle Bone | Dog Bones

I'm not sure what I was thinking when I got them - maybe that it would keep him busy. The darn things are HUGE - which is fine. The company said they're oven baked so, I don't know if that would make them brittle or not. They're so big I can't imagine they could hardly get them in their mouths. But, I'm sure he'll find a way but my little whippet - no way. That'll be funny to see.

Do you think those bones are OK to give him? :thinking:

How long should I do to get him "used" to it? I guess I don't want another huge load of diarrhea soaked laundry if I can avoid it.

*sigh* :headbang:

·
Registered
2 Posts
im no expert
but my first and only dog thus far did this for weeks when he was a pup.

he doesnt dare do it now

what i did
-after putting him outside i would watch him closely. once he stops and i see him putting his head down i watch to see if he ate his poo

-every single time he came from outside i would ask 'kush, did you eat poo"
i would then get him seated and lift his upper lip UP. if he ate poo it would be
a) inbetween some of hiss teeth:sick: b)if not in his teeth the smell! c)he would lick/smucker his lips
if he did i would raise my voice and say 'bad boy ate poo! along with a light smack on his nose

-along with ^^ i would go outside with him when i know he has to go. when i see him stop over his poo and start smelling i would shout 'NO POO' or 'kush ,no eating poo'
just really enforced that he should be eating it lol

-eventually he caught on as to what he was doing was bad
and it has to be the funniest thing ever...

he comes to the door(from outside).
i repeat "Kush, DID YOU EAT POO"

if he ate it.... he would drop his ears and head down, walk towards me slowly ... and just looked like he knew he messed up.
He knew he messed up and i EASILY knew he messed up haha.
its just really funny i love my dog so much.

to this day, if he does something wrong he does his little 'innocent' role playing haha. he like rips up a chew toy and leaves it in pieces on the ground.

all i say is "kush what is this!".... just to see his expression. ughh:wub:

just like i taught him to not eat POO, i taught him many other words and phrases.
he knows the whole family by NAME(can bring item to said family member), water, treat, toy, ball, outside, pee, poo etc etc etc.
o and he knows 2 languages!! loooooool

they are genius!

k im done:D

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Never had that issue of eating their own poo, but my Shane loved to eat cat poo - it too would get stuck between the gums - gross, I know you can buy a powder to add to their food so they won't eat their poo. I believe Carcophagia (sp?) is the term for eating poo. Even that sounds gross. Don't know the name of the powder, but you could probably research carcophagia and find it that way. Or ask your vet.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
The only sure fire prevention I have found is to clean it up before it can be eaten. That means going out with the dog, watching, waiting and scooping. Not fun - especially with the current cold and snow, but better than poo breath. Disgusting!

·
Registered
682 Posts
I don't think anyone can say why they do it, there are a lot of theories out there but who knows? I do know that my dog did it all the time and had to go out with a leash to poop, this way I can get her away from it and take her in the house then go back out and clean it up.

With that being said and due to other reasons, I use this

Berte's Digestion Blend (1 lb.) Berte's Digestion Blend - bacterial pancreatic IBD and GI supplement [04016] - $40.95

and the poop eating has stopped. I wasn't using it for that nor do I know if they claim it will help for stool eating but it has stopped.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
My female will eat it if she's confined in her kennel and poops, but I think this is an instinctual thing

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
My dogs totally stopped being interested in eating their poop when I switched to grain free....BUT....if I add anything else to their food...or give treats, etc....they are interested again.

Might be the case here...

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
The only sure fire prevention I have found is to clean it up before it can be eaten. That means going out with the dog, watching, waiting and scooping. Not fun - especially with the current cold and snow, but better than poo breath. Disgusting!
True
I have tried every product, technique, food additive, scolding all to no avail.
Luckily she doesn't do it ALL the time or hardly at all for other dog's poo.
The result is a clean back yard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts