German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I will be picking Tessa up on Sat 12/13. The issue is the poor dog does not have any teeth. I would like recommendations for canned food that will really help fill out her coat (it is in pretty bad shape right now). I would also like ideas for treats for her. Preferably prepackaged soft treats as that is just easiest for me. If I have to actually bake my own then that is an option although one that will be more time consuming and more diff to fit in my schedule.

All ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
906 Posts
That's great to see that you are fostering Tessa. I wish we could foster some pups but our current living situation in a townhouse isn't the best place to do it! Natural Balance makes soft treats, they come in bags or salami style rolls that you can cut up into whatever size pieces is best for her. My trainer also told me that blueberries are good for them too. I give them to my dogs in their food. You can buy them frozen so they aren't as much money and let them defrost a little bit. That should be really easy for her and healthy too! Good luck and post some picks of Tessa when you get her!!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
No teeth? Poor girl! :( Can you tell us a bit about her?

For diet I would use canned Taste of the Wild, Blue buffalo, Before Grain, etc. Sorry, I have no idea about soft treats. Little pieces of cheese and raw chicken/beef?

ETA:Found :)
ETA2: Thank you for taking this poor soul! I can't wait to see pics of her happy with you.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas! She was an owner surrender (which ticks me off, that she was allowed to get into such bad shape) 8-9 years old. She was so flea infested they have had to shave her backside to treat the irritation. She has no teeth and is weak in her hind legs (I'll have a vet check that out as soon as I get her). I had already thought about cheese, raw hamburger and such. The only problem is something like that, I will definitely have to have double because Dharma will want it as well. So that is certainly an option but I was also hoping for ready made as well since I will need to feed it to both dogs.

Those canned food sound great and worth trying definitely! Dharma already gets 1/2 can of Blue Buffalo mixed with her kibble. I just want the best for the poor old girl to start with to try and get her looking good again.

And Lesley, I also live in a townhouse. With Dharma, my cat and now Tessa, I think my house will be full! :)

·
Registered
906 Posts
Yes it will be full!!! For some reason alot of people in the adoption agencies won't let you foster or adopt if you don't have a fenced in back yard. I have to say, compared to friends of mine that have fenced in back yards and dogs...my dogs get more exercise in one day then theirs do in a month. I just don't understand, it makes me so mad! I think a dog would be happier with me, regardless of the size of the house, then be stuck in a kennel or put to sleep! My husband is dreading the day we buy a larger house, he says hes going to have to get multiple jobs to help take care of all the fosters I will help lol

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HAHA!! I don't blame you. My back yard is fenced. I fenced it in not long after I bought it with then intention of getting at least one dog. It's not a huge yard but it is adequate. Plus with walks, daycare and the dog park, Dharma gets plenty of exercise.

·
Registered
906 Posts
The HOA won't let me fence my "yard" lol Hopefully one day I will be able to foster like you do :)

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HOA'S UGH!! Mine let me build the fence but I had to do it to their exact specifications. That was not fun.

·
Registered
906 Posts
We actually aren't even supposed to have a GSD hehe!! My pitbull is listed as a "mix" lol. We are renting now and our lease is up in March so we are out of here. No one has said anything yet but we are looking to buy in an area that has no HOA or very minimal! It's funny too because everyone knows he is a GSD...I guess no one else reads the rules either. If so, they would have to kick out the 2 wolf hybrids next door, the 150lb rotti down the street, and my other neighbors pitbull.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Thanks for fostering! If I got fosters in bad shape I usually started them on a homemade diet. That would be easy for her b/c you could puree it.

If you want to feed canned (which will cost a fortune) I would go with a high quality grain free food. I would also look into feeding The Honest Kitchen. Dehydrated Dog Food | Human Grade Dog Food | All Natural Pet Food You could then add some raw meat to the mix. Or you could go with a prepared raw diet (those are ground and would be easy for her to handle).

It may be worth contacting them directly and asking if they give discounts for rescues (in exchange for a mention on the website or something like that?).

I would also get her on some good supplements immediately like fish oil, vitamin C and something like Nupro silver.

·
Registered
32,041 Posts
Are you picking her up on Saturday, December 11? Or Monday, December 13?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you picking her up on Saturday, December 11? Or Monday, December 13?

HA!! I got the date wrong! Sat the 11th.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I have a rescue that does have his teeth but was severely underweight, no strength in back legs, etc....He is on Natures Variety RAW and is doing so good. He is also able to eat raw meaty bones too.

A friend of mine gifted me a Meat Grinder so I can make my own home made raw by grinding it all up - bones and all. I have a mini daschund that has most teeth gone so as the cost of pre-made is pretty high, I can now grind and make my own raw and not worry about the teeth issue with my little dog or the cost.

That might be a good way to go - it would be less costly than buying more expensive cans of food plus the dog will get food in its most natural state. Should help out a lot.

My ingredients include whole chicken (with skin and bones), chicken hearts, chicken liver, turkey necks, raw green tripe (in the frozen tubes), wild blueberries (no sugar added). I also add a touch of fish oil in the food.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Bless you for taking her in!

If you are going to be using canned food just make SURE it is intended to be fed alone. These days there are so many companies that have " canned meat" that is NOT nutritionally balanced and is intended to be fed in addition to something else rather than as the only thing they are fed. (It should cay this on the can.)

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Bless you for taking her in!

If you are going to be using canned food just make SURE it is intended to be fed alone. These days there are so many companies that have " canned meat" that is NOT nutritionally balanced and is intended to be fed in addition to something else rather than as the only thing they are fed. (It should cay this on the can.)
Great point!

I ran into a lady at Petco that was checking out and had purchased a ton of the 95% meats from Wellness in the can. And I asked her if she fed anything else with it and she said no. I showed her on the can that it was for supplemental only and it was not a complete meal. I explained what that meant - she was a bit shocked. Even the cashier was not aware. I said - yeah - your dog is going to be missing so important nutrients unless you add to it.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Woah. I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for pointing it out. I would hate to have the poor girl become malnourished because I wasn't aware of that. I will definitely look for canned food that is 100% balanced.

I thought about raw but honestly, I just don't have enough time. On my days off, no biggie but the days I work, I just wouldn't be able to do it. Plus I would then have to switch Dharma as well adding twice the work. There is no way Dharma would watch Tessa eat raw meat and not want to have her share. Even if she isn't aggressive, she would whine like crazy.

I will definitely have to check the cans. Thanks everyone for all of the advice!!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Also wanted to add that my dogs LOVE the Merrick Sausages for treats. They are easily cut into pieces and they kind of "crumble" when you slice them so they don't have to have teeth to eat them. And they have several flavors.

Merrick Pet Foods - Dog Treats Sausages

A lot of people feed the Natural Balance Rolls but I just can't bring myself to feed them as the are FULL of SUGAR!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
My guys LOVE Merrick canned too. (They only get canned occasionally as a treat.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts