German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed one of my dogs had a flea on it the other day. So I found this tablet that said it kills and prevent fleas called Comfortis. Has any one heard any thing bad about this or used it with good success. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Comfortis HAS to be given with a full meal. If not, the dog has a good risk of throwing up. That is about he worst I have witnessed or heard of from Comfortis. I have used Comfortis on three dogs now, I have no issues with it, and it is really effective. I killed off an entire infestation of fleas in one cycle (2 weeks, had to wait for the eggs to hatch) that was both inside my home and in my yard. It actually kills the fleas within 15 - 20 minutes of biting where as the topicals like Advantage and Frontline only stop the fleas from breeding.

Comfortis now also offers a flea and heartworm preventative in one pill, which I plan on switching over to from Heartguard when I'm done with my current Heartguard. I didnt want to switch in the middle of heartworm treatment, so I havent yet.

LO

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've had good luck using Comfortis, however, Slider had a seizure after taking it. I called the manufacturer to report it and after a lengthy discussion with their representative they felt it was due to the Comfortis and said they would report it to whoever takes reports of problems with drugs. I still give it to Slider and Faith.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read all the side effects so I will be watching very carefully. The seizure thing scares me alot. So I am going to consult my vet first then give it a try.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've had good luck using Comfortis, however, Slider had a seizure after taking it. I called the manufacturer to report it and after a lengthy discussion with their representative they felt it was due to the Comfortis and said they would report it to whoever takes reports of problems with drugs. I still give it to Slider and Faith.
OOPS ... I meant to say "I still give it to Bruiser and Faith."

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I was wondering why you would still give it to Slider lol. Thanks for the info.
:rofl: Sometimes getting old sucks!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I use Comfortis for my GSD and my Havanese. My GSD had no problem with vomiting, but my Havanese got sick the first couple of times he took it. I talked with my vet and she said it was normal and some dogs just need to build up a tolerance. The manufacturer will even replace it if they vomit within the first hour. Eventually my Havanese did build up a tolerance because he didn't vomit after the second time I gave it to him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Didn't know there was serious side effects with this. My Vet prescribed Comfortis for my 7 month old pup but I wanted to research it more before I give him a dose. Even tried Comfortis.com but the site seems to be down.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I've been using Comfortis for a few years. I think it works really well. Always give it with food, and I've heard to not give it on the same day as the heartworm prevention.

I've found that Comfortis works for way more than one month, so I use it every 3 months or so. This is why I don't use the two-in-one flea/heartworm pill.

·
Registered
80 Posts
There are risks with using everything, even the heartworm prevention amd anti flea topicals. Most dogs dont react, some do. Oscar has yet to have a reaction.

Mikko, I will slow dosages in the winter months, but with spring here and summer right around a short corner here, we get fleas REALLY bad where I am so I keep up with it out of my own paranoia. I hope to treat my yard this year and kill them before they get bad though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts