German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Brenna turns 2 in July I will get her hips checked, but I'm curious, do you need to get them checked every few years to make sure it doesn't develop later in life? If so, how often should it be done?

Brenna is fixed, checking her hips is really for my peace of mind and so if she does have bad hips I will know to treat them early on.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Dante came back OFA Excellent on hips, I have not had them redone.

He came back DJD grade I on one elbow, I had those redone a year later to look for change and since there was none I won't have them done again unless he's under for something else or starts to limp.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just adopted an intact 3 year old GSD last week. He is going to the vet tomorrow to be neutered and to have his teeth cleaned. Since he will be under anesthesia anyway, I asked the vet to x-ray his hips and spine.

This will be sort of a baseline. If he has to be put under sedation again, or develops a walking problem, I would consider another set of x-rays to look for any changes.

·
Super Moderator
7,207 Posts
i think with a rating of 'good' or higher, you shouldnt have to worry about getting her rechecked. thru proper diet, exercise and weight (which i seriously doubt brenna will have an issue with) even if she did develop hd later in life - you'd be able to manage it w/o surgery. gia has it in both hips, was diagnosed 4yrs ago, i have all the "no-nos" (truck, stairs, hard floors) and after having them checked again last year her arthritis has progressed slightly, but the HD showed little to no progression. i also have her swimming as much as she can to build up the muscle tone that she lost in her back legs since she no longer has the joint support.

ha, sorry, long winded... to answer your question i'd say at 2 and maybe not again until 8 only if she shows signs of discomfort. just my personal two cents. if they have to put her under to get the x rays, i probably wouldnt even do it at 8. gia lets them get her in position w/o anesthesia.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Just wondering, what's the going rate for hip xrays more or less? I would definetely do it for my GSD, but just wanna get a ball park figure....

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: frenchJust wondering, what's the going rate for hip xrays more or less? I would definetely do it for my GSD, but just wanna get a ball park figure....
There really is no "going rate". Prices vary widely, not just from region to region but from vet to vet.

The vet we use is $125-$150 for hips and elbows. Another vet clinic, that's actually closer, would charge $350-$400 for the exact same thing.

Best bet is to call around and get prices. But also make sure whatever vet you choose is experienced and well versed in taking x-rays with proper positioning, and ideally in also interpreting those x-rays. Doesn't do any good to pay a lower price if the x-rays are no good.. then it's just money wasted.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
What is the corrolation between preliminary and official films after they are age two? Are the prelims pretty reliable, and when should those be done?

·
Super Moderator
7,207 Posts
i wouldnt bother with prelims unless you're planning to breed, show, or there are signs of possible HD in the pup. if you do have them done, i believe they're pretty reliable, just not OFAable. it depends on the grade. if they are only "good" or "fair" i'd have them check again in a few years.

this is all just my personal opinion. i'm far from an expert.

as far as the going rate. i pay $120.

·
13,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: Camerafodderi wouldnt bother with prelims unless you're planning to breed, show, or there are signs of possible HD in the pup.

I disagree. I think prelims are very valuable. If the owner intends to participate in activities that can be physically strenuous for the dog (SchH, agility, etc...) making sure the dog is physically capable of participating in that activity and that such participation won't exacerbate existing joint problems is a very good idea.

If a problem does exist in the joints, the sooner it is identified the better from a treatment standpoint too. This allows the owner to adjust environment, exercise, diet, add joint supplements ASAP. The sooner steps are taken to treat the HD, the better the long term outcome. Many surgerys for severe cases of HD have better success rates when done on juvenile dogs as opposed to adults too.

Originally Posted By: Camerafodder if they are only "good" or "fair" i'd have them check again in a few years.
Not sure what you mean by *only* good or fair?

Both are perfectly acceptable hip ratings that show the dog is free of HD. While not a structurally perfect as excellent hips (which are relatively rare), there is nothing wrong with a good or a fair.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Originally Posted By: Chris Wild If a problem does exist in the joints, the sooner it is identified the better from a treatment standpoint too...Many surgerys for severe cases of HD have better success rates when done on juvenile dogs as opposed to adults too.
I agree with Chris. My shepherd was not showing ANY signs of HD, but to be safe I had the ortho vet surgeon I was working for x-ray her hips just to make sure. It turns out she had one hip that was very good and the other was bad. Since she was only about 7 months old and had NO arthritis, we were able to do surgery. If I had waited until she was 2, the arthritis would have been too bad to do anything besides a total hip replacement, and then she would not be able to work at all. Now though, she has no limitations on her activity, and the hip never seems to bother her.

As a side note though, I had also x-rayed her hips when she was 4 months old (just for my own knowledge) and her hips looked excellent. The lesson there is that prelims done before 6 months of age are not useful in determining whether a dog will be dysplastic.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Originally Posted By: Chris WildI think prelims are very valuable. If the owner intends to participate in activities that can be physically strenuous for the dog (SchH, agility, etc...) making sure the dog is physically capable of participating in that activity and that such participation won't exacerbate existing joint problems is a very good idea.

If a problem does exist in the joints, the sooner it is identified the better from a treatment standpoint too. This allows the owner to adjust environment, exercise, diet, add joint supplements ASAP.
OK, you've convinced me. But at what age should I get them done?

·
13,571 Posts
I usually do them around 8-10 months. Sometimes with females it varies depending on when they have their first heat cycle. Earlier than 6 months and I don't think they're vary reliable. Still a good idea to check the dog again at adulthood. I've seen quite a few dogs that were fine on prelims show HD at adulthood.

·
Super Moderator
7,207 Posts
first correction - forgot to include "working" when i said, planning to breed or show...

Originally Posted By: Chris Wild

Not sure what you mean by *only* good or fair?

Both are perfectly acceptable hip ratings that show the dog is free of HD. While not a structurally perfect as excellent hips (which are relatively rare), there is nothing wrong with a good or a fair.
but wouldnt a fair rating make the possibility of developing HD later in life higher? i was under the impression that a dogs prelims or ofa score just shows that they're free of genetic HD, but does not mean they're clear of just general_big dog_HD. (???) but an excellent joint formation makes the chances little to none.

it was also recommended to me, not to do any strenuous training, activities or agility until a dog is 12-18months. which is why i'd think having xrays performed at 18mo would be a *waste* when you can do them at 2 and send them to the OFA.

edit:
Originally Posted By: Chris WildI've seen quite a few dogs that were fine on prelims show HD at adulthood.
i guess this is what i meant by "fair", just with incorrect wording.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts