German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we started beamer on canidae tuesday. we decided on canidae because it isnt too expensive & it is available at the pet store we are always going to, so we dont have to go out of the way to find something somewhere else.

we bought a 10lb bag of the chicken & rice, & mixed it 50/50 with her iams. we've been giving her about 3 cups a day, the bag says 2-3.

what do you feed your gsd for serving size? she is 10 months old today & was 69lbs when we weighed her at the pet store tuesday. she really likes it & i dont know if she is hungry after i feed her that much or if she just wants to eat more because she likes it..

thanks!

·
Registered
648 Posts
I used to feed Canidae to my dogs. 3 cups a day sounds low to me. All dogs are different but I fed my GSD 5 1/2 cups a day (still do, but not Canidae). It depends on the activity level and if your dog looks too thin or too fat with that amount.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
There's no real 100% answer on amount, because it all depends on the individual dog. Metabolism, food ingredients and amount of exercise will determine how much to feed. I will say this though, I have not seen many bags of dogfood that did not have very HIGH feeding amount suggestions! I go by feel and appearance. I want to feel ribs, and only see the last one or two from certain angles. Lean = healthy in our GSD's especially because of all the joint issues they can have.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
beamer always looks so thin, but her vet & trainer both said she is a perfect weight & does not feel thin (i guess we are just used to wider dogs). you can feel a couple ribs, so i guess she is fine. should i try giving her like 4 cups a day? & do you feed more than once? i have been feeding her in the early afternoon, & then when we eat dinner.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
she is pretty energetic, but at the same time its not too bad. she is ready for a nap after like 30 minutes of playing. is it okay to fluctuate? like, tuesdays & wednesdays we have her out with us all day because its my husbands days off (i cant handle her & our 14 month old daughter very well together lol) so on those days is it okay to feed her a little more, & then days when we are just at home to feed her less?

·
Registered
278 Posts
My 7.5 month old gets 4 cups a day but its Blue Buffalo.

She is on the thin side but I know its better for them to be lighter. She seems to be having a growth spurt right now and I always wonder if I am giving her enough. But, its getting harder to feel her ribs so she may be getting a bit chunkier even though she looks so small.

We walk daily and she gets alot of play inside and out of the house.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
My would be tubby 6 1/2 year old female (70 ish lbs) eats 1 1/2 cups a day with anywhere between 1/4 and 1/2 cup (depending on what it is) leftover human food.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Does anyone else feel that people go a little too far with the "it's good to have a slim GSD" theory?

Of course we don't want extra weight on a GS but some that I see are way too skinny and the owners are fixated on having an extra slim dog for fear of health issues.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I don't know Dano, but I have seen A LOT of CHUNKY overweight GSD's and maybe 1 that I would consider a little too slim (I could see a couple ribs), but he was a gawky 7 month old and going through a growth spurt.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Both of my girls are on Canidae and get 2 cups per day. They are at a perfect weight (both weigh 62 lbs..and look perfect)....One is almost 2...the other is 9...

If I saw one gaining or losing to a point that didn't seem healthy...I would adjust my feedings.

The bags only give you an approximate...you must adjust according to your dogs needs.

btw - you can't go by what one brand says for a feeding amount vs. another...they have different nuitritional content.....

Oh...and I have yet to see a gsd that is too skinny (aside from rescue). Yikes...most are overweight.

·
Registered
31,864 Posts
I have eight dogs on Canidae. I feed the kind with four meat sources, the lamb and rice, and the chicken and rice, interchangeably. I do not vary serving size between the types.

My girls are as follows:
Arwen (7 yrs in June) should be 65-69#. currently is 73# (due to having been pregnant) and she is on a slight diet getting one heaping cup twice a day.

Jenna (3yrs in Aug.) may be pregnant and is currently getting 1 3/4 cup twice a day.

Babs (3 yrs in Aug.) may be pregnant (due today, but I can be off on the day of ovulation) She gets Two cups whenever her bowl is empty.

Heidi, Whitney, and Tori, (all 2 yrs in Aug.) all weigh between 60 and 65 pounds and each gets 1 1/2 cups twice a day.

My boys will be four in June and three in January and both get two cups twice a day.

None look fat (except Babsy if she is not pg). None look emaciated like they did last summer.

Puppies that are still growing require more food.

It is hard to say how much to feed a GSD for so many reasons:

1. People describe their normal sized GSD is Big; People describe there gigantic GSD as "normal"; people go by height and weight without taking into consideration length.

2. There is no calibrated measure for Activity. Someone with a couch potato dog may consider that normal activity -- works for me. Another with a dog that never settles may think that is normal for a GSD.

3. Just because your dog is dimensionally the same as mine, the same breed, the same sex, the same level of activity, it does not mean that the dog will absorb the same food the same way.

I am probably failing to mention half a dozen other hurdles. So frankly, you are on your own.

Generally, if a bitch is not spayed and a dog is not neutered, if you feed them a certain amount, and they lick the bowl clean looking for more, up the amount a bit. If they leave some in their dish, lower the amount a little. If after a couple of weeks at the amount they appear a bit slim or a bit fat, adjust.

Frankly, a healthy unaltered dog/bitch will generally not overeat unless the food is filled with unnecessary sweateners, or you add delectible treats when they are not hungry.

I think they have an ideal weight and some of them appear very trim, while others are naturally a little fuller. In any case you should see a waist line from the top and from the side, and you should not see a whole rack of ribs.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
"Does anyone else feel that people go a little too far with the "it's good to have a slim GSD" theory? "

NO!

i see too many fat dogs everywhere, including some gsd's. of course we dont want to see a gsd with ribs visibly showing. however, i dont consider the saying "its good to have a slim gsd" a theory. i consider it sound health advice. if that advice werent out there, we may have more plump gsd's showing up.

·
Registered
31,864 Posts
Babsy's x-rays were negative so she is going on a diet. This is the second false pregnancy. The first one, I knew she had not been bred, this one though she had been, but we did not get a tie so, well I wasn't all that confident. In any case, she is a big faker when it comes to being pregnant. Maybe she likes the extra rations. She was 68 pounds at the vet today. So she has gained ten.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I use the feeding guide on the back of the bag just as that ... a guide. Ava weighs 80 pounds and she gets b/t 3 1/2 - 4 cups a day. It just depends on how active she has been that day. So, I think it's okay to fluctuate the daily amount as that is what I do with both of mine. I do not feed them Canidae but I thought I would still chime in :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
I too am a huge CANIDAE advocate, feeding their food as long as it has been available. I have known some dogs that will loose weight on it. Don't know why but it happens. A growing pup may need to eat as much as 2 times as much food per day as an adult. Every dog is different so you will have to add and subtract as needed as your dog grows and matures.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Originally Posted By: DanoDoes anyone else feel that people go a little too far with the "it's good to have a slim GSD" theory?

Of course we don't want extra weight on a GS but some that I see are way too skinny and the owners are fixated on having an extra slim dog for fear of health issues.
Depends. My dog is VERY thin/lean, sometimes you can see a rib or two, but hey, she STOPS eating her food after 1.5 cups? Currently, she gets 2.5-3 cups of Canidae a day. She will usually only eat 1.5 cups and then refuse the food. Since I feed her in the evening, I leave the remainder of her food with her in the morning when I leave for work. Sometimes she finishes is it, but often she eats part of it or sometimes even nothing. So should I force feed her b/c other people think she's too skinny?

I've always felt it's good to have a slim GSD. They're a pretty lean and athletic breed. That's sort of the "standard" I've always had in my head. It doesn't hurt the dog at all to be thin. I don't starve my dogs to keep them thin, I just feed them a reasonable amount of decent food and keep them fit with exercise.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Kenya is just right if you can see a rib or two.

My problem with the can't be too thin theory is this: until Morgan was about 4, she was skinny, less than 60 lbs. Not talking 2 ribs, I could see all her ribs and the bones in her spine. She was very active and whatever food she left behind, Luther would eat it. He was always on a diet and would eat anything he could find.

Now Morgan is about 70lbs, she was up to 87 last spring but now she's back down. I can't see her ribs but she's got the nice hourglass shape and I think she's right.

Problem is my vet! He looks at her chart and keeps telling me to get her back to 60 lbs. I'm tempted to bring a picture of her when she was too thin!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I have the opposite problem: typically the vets see a perfect GSD as "too thin". I'm not sure why. Maybe b/c they are used to seeing plumper companion dogs, or they aren't really experts in nutrition or structure....I dunno. I joke with people that when they say my dog is too thin I know she's perfect. As far as an opinion I trust, I would ask my dog's breeder and people that train/work/compete GSDs on a daily basis. I mean no offense at all to vets, but my assumption is that they are experts in medicine and that type of health, but not necessarily the nutrition requirements of individual breeds, their standard, or their good working structure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts