German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically, I am wondering how often can you bath a puppy.

We have bathed Sylar (almost 15 weeks once) only once after he was caked in dirt and mud after playing with a 2 year-old GSD rescue dog. From what I understand bathing a GSD should only be done on rare occasions. However, I also heard that new puppy/dog shampoos are better ph balanced and don't dry out skin as they did in the past.

Reason I ask is he manages to get quite dirty when we let him off leash and allow him to play with other dogs owned by fellow family members.

I have used a product that PetSmart recommended for puppies (Truly Gentle Puppy Shampoo made by Kong).

Thanks any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I really like Earthbath Puppy Shampoo. It smells great and didn't bother mine's skin at all

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I also like Earthbath. I think most dog shampoos are gentle & you can get away with bathing more often. I give my boy a bath every couple of months or whenever he starts to smell sour:) Regular grooming helps. Sometimes if his legs & chest are dirty I just rinse him off with warm water. I do this a lot in the summer because we are at the lake & it gets the sand out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I like Earthbath Puppy too.

I try not to bathe too often though I've never seen any negative reaction to the shampoo. Hampton is 5 months and he's had 4 baths (plus one at the breeder before pick-up).

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Lisl had three baths before she was 9 weeks old. Not since though. I have her shampoo on the dryer at home, but I'm not there right now.

She was none the worse for wear for three baths in two weeks.

·
Registered
766 Posts
i use basic johnson & johnson baby shampoo, basically because I can get little bottles for free works well

·
Registered
58 Posts
We've been using baby wipes on my puppy's fur up until this weekend. It was finally warm enough to shampoo and hose him off outside. It was a disaster. He was afraid of the hose, even at a low pressure setting. He was whining and shaking the whole time. The good news is that the Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe shampoo smells great on him.

Bad timing on the first bath though because we then took him to a lake (un-planned). We were happy to see that he wasn't afraid of the lake water after his bad bath experience. I think we'll wait awhile to do another full bath and continue using wipes as needed.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
We used Oster Oatmeal Naturals Gentle Puppy Shampoo. He did fine with it, we will keep using it.

Oatmeal Naturals Gentle Puppy Shampoo is extra mild for your new puppy. Natural pet shampoo has the soothing power of pure oatmeal and a long lasting Baby Powder fragrance. Contains 2% Oatmeal extract to sooth the skin; purified water, four natural & renewable coconut based cleansers, wheat protein and rosemary extract to strengthen the hair shaft, natural humectants to attract and hold moisture, and aloe vera to soothe the skin.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Kylie has been getting a weekly bath for months because I take her to the dog park every weekend and then she splashes in the pond and wrestles in the mud with other dogs. She hasn't had any problems at all.

I use Purina Gentle Care Puppy Shampoo. I never apply the shampoo directly to her fur. I fill a squeeze bottle most of the way with water and then add a little shampoo to that and shake it up. That way the shampoo is pre-diluted. I don't use much at all.

Kylie actually loves her baths. As soon as she hears the bathtub running, she gets excited. When I open the door, she runs in and jumps into the tub. It is much more of a challenge to get her out of the tub. I have to actually lift her front legs over the edge of the tub and then encourage her to get out the rest of the way.

ETA:
The first time I cleaned her, I tried doing it in the shower, because that's how I cleaned my golden, but Kylie was terrified of the hand-held sprayer. She loves water that just sits there waiting for her to splash it. She does not like water that sprays at her.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts