German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ralphie is not much of a barker in general and even less so at other dogs. Neighbors on either side of us have 2 dogs each and all 4 of them go nuts when we're outside and Ralphie doesn't even so much as look at them. When we're out walking and he sees another dog coming down the street a ways away or is on the other side of the street, he usually just ignores them. Sometimes he'll focus on them and whine and wag his tail and even less often, he'll let out one or two quick barks but keeps walking the whole time. Same goes if we walk past a fenced yard full of barking dogs - almost always he completely ignores them. If another dog walks right past us, he'll again usually ignore it but the other day while I put him in a sit so the other person & dog could walk by, he barked once at the little terrier. He didn't lunge or anything, his ears weren't flattened, no hackles raised etc. It didn't seem aggressive to me at all; more like a "Hey there's another dog!" or "Hey you!" bark (and the owner of the terrier dog wasn't concerned and even commented on how she wished her dog would sit nicely and stay when around other dogs like Ralphie was) but I'm clearly no expert! Can I chalk up his random barking to the energy of the other dogs and/or not dogs like each other kind of thing? Just curious.

Ooh, wanted to add: when I do actually introduce him to other dogs/allow him to introduce himself to other dogs, he is pretty submissive and playful. After they get the butt/crotch sniffing out of the way (Ralphie always goes for the crotch first, which cracks me up lol), Ralphie goes straight into licking the other dogs mouth and teeth. I've heard this teeth cleaning behavior is submissive...?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Your Ralphie seems to be quite the sociable fellow, so I would consider his bark just a hello.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts