German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Have a question I need an answer to. When I picked up Maximus, the breeder said the dam was not registered and she was waiting for paperwork from overseas, etc.. etc... so shd did not have the registration paperwork for the litter.

She emailed me a couple of weeks ago and said the litter has been registered, gave me numbers, etc... But I still haven't received any paperwork.

What is the breeders responsibiltiy as far as providing AKC paperwork? What happens if I don't receive any paperwork from the breeder? I was supposed to receive full registration, not limited...

What should I do at this point? I've had Maximus for 2 months now.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Only two months? Have you asked the breeder as to when you can expect to receive the papers? Two months is not an unreasonable time-frame to wait especially since the paperwork for the sire was not completed at the time.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I received the AKC paperwork a month after acquiring and completing arrangements to get my 3 year old female GSD spayed. The AKC paperwork shows it to be a registered purebred dog. But its not a guarantee of health, of personality or any other physical or mental attribute of the dog. All the AKC does is register dogs and not too much should be read into having AKC papers that came with your GSD.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Norman, if she has full registration, proof of altering would not be required.

Mog, it took me 18 months to get AKC papers for Havoc. His mother also was not registered as they were waiting on DNA on the import bitch. The breeder also took a long time getting around to it.

Yes the breeder may be busy, but if she has gotten the dam registered, she has to register the litter too. Then she should send you either the forms to fill out so you can register Maximus or she can register him herself and have the papers sent to you direct from AKC.

You can check with AKC too. Go on akc.org and search through for the contact for registration issues. If you have either the dam's registration number or the litter number AKC can help you finish the process. I almost had to do this with Havoc as well.

Actually I told the breeder I was going to apply for an ILP with a name that woud not reflect well on her. Got papers.

Sometiems there are delays but sometimes those delays are inexscuasable lenghty.

·
Registered
710 Posts
She emailed me a couple of weeks ago and said the litter has been registered, gave me numbers, etc... But I still haven't received any paperwork.
You can call the AKC with these numbers and ask if your puppy is registered, and if your name is on it.

American Kennel Club - Contact AKC

If you know how, you can check the AKC database for the number.

·
Premium Member
11,266 Posts
sometimes the AKC is slow when it is an import female because of the DNA requirements....those can take 6 weeks to run - and that could hold up the litter registration...after the litter registration, then the pups must be individually registered....either all at once by the breeder or she will hand out the individual applications to each puppy owner....

the Foreign Dog Registration will definitely hold up the litter - sometimes it is quick and other times it is not....

Best thing to check with AKC is if the dam has been processed, and the litter application approved yet...

Lee

·
Registered
31,906 Posts
MOG, please be patient with your breeder. My import came in pregnant, so I needed paperwork from Germany and DNA, and paperwork from the owner of the sire in Germany, etc. One of the items had a small glitch, and it took even longer.

I was talking to my buddies at the Shepherd club, and they said it could take up to a year. Uhg! It did not. It was not ready by the time the pup was eight weeks old, but it did come through. I am sure your breeder wants for you to get your papers, so that she is done with it. We don't like paperwork hanging over our heads either. LOL.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Norman, if she has full registration, proof of altering would not be required.

My breeder required proof of alteration before releasing the official paper. All it shows is she's a pedigreed GSD. I got it a month after I bought her. So it went fast.
Each breeder handles things differently, however, full registration generally indicates breeding rights to the purchaser. Breeders use limited registration most often when they require a dog to be altered.

There may be breeders out there that will give full registration when a dog is altered but that kind of negates the reason for full registration.

Norman is your dog on limited or full? Limited papers would be white with an orange/pink border.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all, sorry for the late reply (puppy's sick).

I called AKC here in Raleigh and they told me that the litter was registered and the paperwork sent to the breeder. I emailed the breeder and she got back to me and sent the paperwork out, so I'm waiting to receive that.

Thanks for the info, I always thought that the papers should be in hand when the puppy is sold... never knew it could take that long.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts