German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about DNA & the AKC while reading on another board.
AKC has it where you you can DNA a PB, right?
For breeding & showing purposes?
Well, my question is, Why can't they do this for dogs that have ILPs?
Not for breeding or showing, but to show they are PB?
Does this make some sense?
TIA

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
The AKC DNA program is only a DNA profile, it is not a form of genetic testing. All it is designed to do is to keep the profile on record if it is ever needed to prove parentage. If parentage is questioned, the offspring can have a DNA profile done and when compared to the profiles of it's parents, that will prove if they really are it's parents or not. It can't be used to test whether or not a dog is PB.

·
Registered
932 Posts
there is a test out there (forget the website) that you can have your dog dna tested to see what breed it is.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Re: Question about AKC & DNA

The DNA program is exactly what Chris said. I had my Gordon Setter puppy done and I received a pretty certificate with her genetic profile that shows her genotype and genetic markers (I think!). Since I am not a scientist, it makes no sense to me. I only did it because all dogs entered (except ILPs) in the National Specialty must have a DNA number, even in performance events. So I thought I'd get it done now because I'd like to enter future Nationals.

As for the genetic tests on the market that claim to identify breed, I've seen some results that have been bizarre at best, which really makes me question their accuracy. They are being sold at a lot of places, I picked up a pet supply catalog the other day and the test kits were being sold there too.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote: Janet there is a test out there (forget the website) that you can have your dog dna tested to see what breed it is.
I'm sorry, my bad. That is the one I am talking about.
If they could come up with an aquerate on, would it be woth AKC using???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts