German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the past couple days have been stressful.

Last week, I had my folks dog sit Kali. They noticed she wasn't eating as much. I thought that she just may be sad because she missed me. lol. However, this continued for the next few days. I also noticed that she was drinking and urinating a lot. She wasn't lethargic or anything, but I noticed a little discharge.

I scheduled an appointment the next day. My vet told me that they suspected Pyometra and I needed to take her to the emergency clinic. So, I did that, and within that day, her condition got rapidly worse. Her temp. raised and the discharge almost looked like mud!!! Doc said she would have probably gone into shock within the next few hours. So they did an ultasound and gave her plenty of antibiotics. They confirmed an infected uterus. I'm thankful for that particular e-vet because he actually suggested that I take her to another clinic... because if they performed the surgery, it would have cost WAY more than usual. So, I took her to another local vet who was able to perform the surgery that same day.

I was so worried waiting to hear from them AND had a job interview that same day!! ugh... stressed.

Well, the surgery went well and she is doing a lot better. I should be able to pick her up later today!!! So relieved.

Has anyone gone through a Pyo case with such a young dog? How common is that?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Holy cow! I remember you thinking something was wrong and I said, oh don't worry she just misses you...or something like that. Sounds like you knew there was something wrong all along. So glad she's going to be ok! Did you get the job?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's crazy how well we know our dogs!!! :)

As for the job, we'll see... It's for a Deputy Sheriff position. So hopefully I go through the next step in the hiring procedure.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Any dog who has a uterus can get pyometra. Though it IS typically seen in older dogs.

Glad to hear the surgery went well. < 3 I know it's scary. When we took Zoey in I suspected pyo and soon as we got to the vet they started doing test and within 2 hours she was on the table getting an emergency spay and was on antibiotics for a month. Her uterus was the side of a baseball and about to rupture!! Though it's been 3 years and she is still going strong and doing great. She'll be 13 in a couple months and showing no signs of slowing down. ;)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bianca got it when she was around 3 years old, she had to have an emergency spay. This was before I got her, actually it was why I got her since she would have been a breeding female otherwise.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Poor girl-I hope she gets well soon. And good luck to you re: the job!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
It isn't as common with younger bitches but can happen. Why wouldn't your vet perform the surgery when you took her in? I find it unusual that a vet would turn a regular client away that needs an emergency surgery.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, not too sure why my regular Vet couldn't perform the surgery. She just told me I'd have to take her to the E-Vet. I think she already had a full schedule??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts