German Shepherds Forum banner

Put a leash on Gina but she'll NOT move at all!!!

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Leika 11 
#1 ·
** Post removed due to being incomplete. See second post. Admin**

#2 ·
Put a leash on Gina but she did NOT move!!

Hi to everybody,

Just TWO DAYS BACK, I picked up 7-w-o GINA, my first GSD EVER.

Since socialization and training of a young puppy are extremely impor-
tant to me, I already brought her to many different places and intro-
duced her to a big number of people including kids who patted her.

Believe it or not, but Gina follows my command "sit" already. Not al- ways, but sometimes.

Today, on her second full day in our home, I tried to put a leash on
her but she didn't like it at all and attempted to remove it from her
neck. Also, she refused to move.

I guess that's just normal behavior since she is still a baby. My baby!

Would appreciate comments of experienced dog lovers.

Thanks in advance and take care.............especially of your four- legged friends.

#3 ·
Socializing with her is great! The feel of the collar and leash are new to her, but she will get used to it. You might try putting the leash on her around the house and just let her drag it around. Coax her to come to you with treats, or play with her with toys while she's wearing the leash--show her that good things happen when she wears the leash.

You might also try putting the leash on her and then tying the end of it to your belt and letting her walk everywhere with you--even when you are at home. That way, she will get used to the leash, bond closely with you, and you can watch her to make sure she doesn't get into any trouble at home.

#4 ·
Hi Tracy,

Thanks for your advice.

I'll try my best to train Gina the way you recommended.

#5 ·
We put a small collar on Bogart for the first week with us. The only time we would take it off would be a night. We would take him out walking without lead but he still had the collar on in the back yard of course. Eventually we put a small lead on and we made it fun.. Treat treats treats. haha! Now he has a little bit bigger collar on and when i take out the lead he knows its to go outside. He doesnt mind it anymore.
Make it fun, remember they are just pups!

Bogarts Dad

#6 ·
Re: Put a leash on Gina but she'll NOT move at all

Just put a very lightweight leash on him and let him drag it around for a while. Supervise, of course. Don't exert an hold or pull until he's used to having it there. When you do pick up the lead, follow him. When he's accustomed to all of this - may take a few days - then take him someplace fun - backyard?- and alternately follow and then gently lead by calling him and enticing him your way with treat or toy.

Have fun!

#7 ·
Re: Put a leash on Gina but she'll NOT move at all

Hi Sasha2008 & zyp,

I'm very sorry, but I totally overlooked that I still had to thank you for
your reply to my post.

This website is really great and people like me can learn a lot.

Once again, THANKS!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.