German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone. I recently adopted a 2 year old female dog and the paperwork that came with her listed her has a German Shepherd Mix or Mixed Breed. She’s pretty small for a German Shepherd, everyone always comments on how beautiful she is but they always think she’s a puppy. Any ideas on what she could be mixed with?

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
Very high content GSD at the very least. Very pretty. I'd guess purebred, but we'd never know unless you did one of those DNA tests.

You said she was small - much does she weigh? My girl at 1 year is 56-57 lbs. Her 2.5 year old sister is 56lbs. They're on the smaller end, but they're both purebred. Personally I like smaller dogs, easier to "handle" and makes for fun tricks like "weave" and "center" heeling easier since their head isn't running into your crotch! HA!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s what I thought. From what I know in shelters they just kind of guess what breed they are they don’t perform any tests or anything like that. Also, she is around 63-65 lbs. I’m not sure of her height I would have to check. She is an excellent dog though, very smart.

·
Registered
330 Posts
At 63-65 lbs she’s near the high end of the breed standard for females, if the rest of her is proportional. Height at withers for females should be 22-24”; weight should be 50-70 lbs. Of course, there are plenty of purebreds that fall outside of the standard - just letting you know your dog is not small for a purebred GSD.

And she certainly is pretty!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts