German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. My cousins dog recently had puppies. I am wanting one and i dont think they are purebred so i think he is over charging me. Do you proffessionals have any input on whether or not they are purebred?
First 2 pics are the mom and second 2 are the dad.
Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,529 Posts
A bicolor GSD x solid black GSD could potentially have puppies that are all bicolor, all solid black, or some bicolor and some solid black.

The light grey-white pup and the one with white facial markings aren't bicolor or solid black.

If a different male had access to the female, some of the puppies, or all of the puppies, may not have been sired by the male pictured above.

If it were me, I'd be more concerned with the temperament and health of the parents, rather than purchase price. If the parentage is in question, this is more on par with adopting an unknown puppy - rather than buying a purebred from a deliberate, purposeful breeding.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Looks like a possible multiple sired litter to me. Does anyone in the area own a male Siberian Husky or Alaskan Malamute? The two pups that WIBackpacker mentioned have coloring more typical of those breeds.

If these puppies are supposed to be AKC registerable purebreds, then your cousin needs to do DNA testing on the sire, dam, and all the puppies to prove parentage.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have my girl for 4 months and I already payed like 2x her buy price in vaccination, vet visits, food, her stuff... . And there's at least 10 more years to go... . If I was about to buy another dog I wouldn't be trying to save a few bucks on the buy price in exchange of risks of poor health/bad temperament.

First of all - what you save on buy price, you will be paying on extra vet bills or trainers. And what's worse - if you go with puppy fever (omg, my cousin has so cute puppies!!) you might get stuck for another 10 years with underaverage dog instead of having dog that can be a real soulmate. And you will waste your best years with him/her... .

In your case you don't even know if it's purebred... . If you want a dog that you will lock on the garden or put on chain, once a week take on a walk, go with it. If you're looking for a life partner, that will sleep in your bedroom and go through every day with you,, don't take any of these puppies.

·
Super Moderator
2,529 Posts
In your case you don't even know if it's purebred... . If you want a dog that you will lock on the garden or put on chain, once a week take on a walk, go with it. If you're looking for a life partner, that will sleep in your bedroom and go through every day with you,, don't take any of these puppies.
No, no, no.

That's not the point at all.

A dog doesn't deserve a great life or a lesser one because its genetics point one way or the other.

Most of us on this forum either own, or have owned, mixes/rescues/pound puppies in addition to purebred dogs. Including me.

The point is about buying a dog from an honest seller, and making a decision based on the facts available.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Two of those pups look decidedly husky, and one looks like a lab?
I would take a pass on these pups unless they are being sold as mixes and for minimal price with vacs, deworming, vet check, etc.
Pretty sad if you don't trust your cousin. And honestly, just to avoid future family conflict I would pass. Family and money seldom mix well.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
The parents look purebred. The puppies don’t all look like the parents. You should get the dog you want. If you only want a purebred, pass and look for a reputable breeder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts