German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought a puppy. He is 1 month and 10 days old. And both ears are lifted up. And his paw is about 3 of my fingers. So from the guy i bought he told me that he is 1 month and 10 days old and double coat. So i dont know much about gsd puppy. So kindly guide its normal for 1 month gsd puppy to lift year or not.or he is older than 1 month and 10 days or not please guide me about this and his coat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why do you have a 1 month old pup!!?? He should still be with his mother!
The buyer told me his mother died while giving birth. He is self feed need someone to buy him. Because he couldnot take care of him. . and i have seen gsds i like them love them but i didnt know from which month i can have him. So i bought him.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Even if the mother is dead, the puppy should still be with his litter mates. If the dog doesn’t come with papers from a respected registry, I wouldn’t bet on it being purebred. The only other way to know is to do a DNA test. Good luck to you and your new dog.

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
ok guys..this person is in a different country with a different culture.

So - OP - Ears can go up and down all the way thru teething at 6 months. Don't worry about the ears. Nobody here can tell you about his age or coat. Is he eating on his own? Peeing and pooping normally?

The issues you are going to run into is that your puppy will miss out on opportunities like the mother teaching bite inhibition and social interaction with litter mates. I suggest you do a search on the forum for similiar situations and learn from their experiences.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok guys..this person is in a different country with a different culture.

So - OP - Ears can go up and down all the way thru teething at 6 months. Don't worry about the ears. Nobody here can tell you about his age or coat. Is he eating on his own? Peeing and pooping normally?

The issues you are going to run into is that your puppy will miss out on opportunities like the mother teaching bite inhibition and social interaction with litter mates. I suggest you do a search on the forum for similiar situations and learn from their experiences.
Yes he is eating on his own. Pooping peeing all normal. Playing around. Active.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Welcome and enjoy your puppy baby. You will have to take care of him like his mama would have which makes him extra special . Can't really tell much from the pictures, perhaps you could take some better ones? The only way to tell for sure about his breeding is a DNA test but if he has the look of a German Shepherd no one is going to ask for proof unless you plan to breed him. He's you dog, just love him as he is. His coat will change as he grows so - at this stage - it's pretty much a guessing game.

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
If there is a litter of puppies, that you know the dam is vaccinated for parvo/distemper, you should try to get your puppy around the litter. Singletons are hard. Consider him a singleton and make sure he gets interaction with other puppies to learn social behaviors.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I will be easier to tell the breed when he's bigger. Meanwhile, I would make sure he's vaccinated and dewormed to keep him healthy. Parvo and distemper are a real danger to small puppies and can kill they very quickly. First vaccinations should be given at 6 weeks of age. The vet usually treats them for worms at the same time.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Forget the papers!
Rescue the puppy, give it a good home & all the attention you can & it is almost 100% guaranteed that he'll be the best friend you can ever hope for.
Impressive pedigrees are important for some people but if you are like most of us all you want is a German Shepherd as a companion, friend & protector and I bet that little guy will be all you want & more if you give it a good home & all the love he deserves.
I agree that ideally the puppy should be with his mother & siblings longer but if its not possible it's not the end of the world. I once rescued a puppy that was barely 5 weeks old & he turned out incredibly well.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Forget the papers!
Rescue the puppy, give it a good home & all the attention you can & it is almost 100% guaranteed that he'll be the best friend you can ever hope for.
Impressive pedigrees are important for some people but if you are like most of us all you want is a German Shepherd as a companion, friend & protector and I bet that little guy will be all you want & more if you give it a good home & all the love he deserves.
I agree that ideally the puppy should be with his mother & siblings longer but if its not possible it's not the end of the world. I once rescued a puppy that was barely 5 weeks old & he turned out incredibly well.
Although I appreciate that your heart is in the right place...as someone who raised a weak nerved genetically unstable GSD with health and fear aggressive temperament problems his whole life .... I would never suggest that unregistered BYB German Shepherds that come from folks looking to make a buck with no knowledge of pedigrees, genetics nor any kind of breeding plan for the betterment ...... are a good option for family companion homes. If I had other family members or God forbid children in the home it could have ended tragically. As it was I was alone and made the decision to commit to my boy and accept that he would need to be managed and our lives would be limited for the next 10.5 yrs till he died of Hemangiosarcoma after many years of other autoimmune problems.
Never again will I contribute to or encourage anyone else to contribute to BYB's.
Yes love and good training can take you far...as they did my boy...but they will never fully overcome genetic weakness.

Reactions: Honey Maid

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome and enjoy your puppy baby. You will have to take care of him like his mama would have which makes him extra special . Can't really tell much from the pictures, perhaps you could take some better ones? The only way to tell for sure about his breeding is a DNA test but if he has the look of a German Shepherd no one is going to ask for proof unless you plan to breed him. He's you dog, just love him as he is. His coat will change as he grows so - at this stage - it's pretty much a guessing game.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Shape of the ears doesn't look right for a purebred GSD. Normally at 5 weeks, the ears are not standing, and are tipped over at the top. Also, the texture of the coat doesn't look quite right, though you can tell the pup is going to be a long coat. It looks too wirey

·
Registered
101 Posts
Although I appreciate that your heart is in the right place...as someone who raised a weak nerved genetically unstable GSD with health and fear aggressive temperament problems his whole life .... I would never suggest that unregistered BYB German Shepherds that come from folks looking to make a buck with no knowledge of pedigrees, genetics nor any kind of breeding plan for the betterment ...... are a good option for family companion homes. If I had other family members or God forbid children in the home it could have ended tragically. As it was I was alone and made the decision to commit to my boy and accept that he would need to be managed and our lives would be limited for the next 10.5 yrs till he died of Hemangiosarcoma after many years of other autoimmune problems.
Never again will I contribute to or encourage anyone else to contribute to BYB's.
Yes love and good training can take you far...as they did my boy...but they will never fully overcome genetic weakness.
I understand what you say and it was not my intent to encourage anyone to go to a BYB for a dog. However it happens & in this case the damage is already done and the little puppy (who is totally innocent) deserves a chance. It is wrong to assume that simply because the puppy has no papers that he is a defective, problem animal that deserves to be immediately returned or euthanized.

What I intended to point out in my post is that while there's little chance the puppy will grow to be a champion show or performance dog there's still an excellent chance that it will be a fine and loyal companion & until there's evidence to the contrary there's no reason to return it, condemn it to a miserable life or pronounce a death sentence.

Your post tells us that you had a dog that displayed some difficulties but in spite of that you kept it until it's final days. To me this means that you showed compassion & understanding even towards a difficult & potentially dangerous dog. I believe that if the owner's expectation is for the puppy to be a faithful family companion & it has not yet demonstrated any serious temperament or health defects (other than having no papers) it deserves the same opportunity and that more than likely it will turn out fine.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Shape of the ears doesn't look right for a purebred GSD. Normally at 5 weeks, the ears are not standing, and are tipped over at the top. Also, the texture of the coat doesn't look quite right, though you can tell the pup is going to be a long coat. It looks too wirey
DSCI1711.JPG

This is Shadow at about 4 weeks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
View attachment 568841

This is Shadow at about 4 weeks.
I think its look same as mine.. is this gsd? I am not asking for any excellent blood line. Maybe it is german sheperd. But if there is anything to worry about just let me know. After 2 days i am going to vet for vacination. Till then please guide if its not gsd or not fully pured. But i guess he will be my great friend cos i am keeping him as a family member. And i think his looks will be gsd.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think its look same as mine.. is this gsd? I am not asking for any excellent blood line. Maybe it is german sheperd. But if there is anything to worry about just let me know. After 2 days i am going to vet for vacination. Till then please guide if its not gsd or not fully pured. But i guess he will be my great friend cos i am keeping him as a family member. And i think his looks will be gsd.
Or maybe buyer didnt told me the truth or he also didnt know about his age.coat or breed.
Maybe i can get some knowledge about his age or coat by your experience. i am not going to leave this dog if he is not gsd. I am going to fully take care of him..

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
I have never DNA tested but there is no other breed obvious in her appearance so we refer to her as a German Shepherd.
20181003_121212.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

So you think its not gsd or not good breed of gsd?

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
So you think its not gsd or not good breed of gsd?
What we're telling you is the "breed" is the least of your worries. Yes, it looks like a GSD puppy. But since you have no papers all we can say is it "looks" like a GSD puppy. Nobody can comment on quality or it actually being a purebred. If you want to know, you'll need to do a DNA test.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts