German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a female GSD named Juno, she is a little over a year and a half. I always have people asking me either what her mix is or if she is Belgian Malinois. As far as I was told she was a pure GSD. I know the owner of her mom and she is definitely GSD. My girl looks alot like her mom just more petite and lean and her tail is less bushy then your typical GSD. More and more I feel like she may be GSD Malinois cross, which I would be perfectly okay with... What are your thoughts??

Attachments

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Looks purebred to me! Beautiful coloring too!

Reactions: tc68

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
Looks pure GSD to me.

·
Registered
805 Posts
A lot of people don't realize sable or anything other color besides Black and Tan are colors that GSDs can be. Along with everybody thinking GSDs are supposed to be l-xl breeds instead of medium-large. So it's probably more about lack of knowledge than your pup who is gorgeous by the way!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Good gravy! That is one gorgeous dog! I am in no way an expert on GSDs (unless you count my knowing very poor breeding, coupled with a plethora of physical and mental issues with a single dog) but the pros here say pure, she's pure. Those pics are fabulous, coffee table book worthy.

Reactions: Synne

·
Registered
873 Posts
Looks pure GSD to me....there's nothing Belgian at all about that head.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Definitely pure and gorgeous.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
good , strong , in body and expression , GSD .
Colour is not red sable --- Dunkel grau - dark grey , charcoal ,

used to see gewolked on SV descriptions - dunkel grau gewolked , as opposed to
our use of pattern sable.

it sort of gives a clue to ghe colour genetics. I have a DDR import that is similar to
this dogs colour . I wouldn't be surprised if the OP's strong (almost masculine headed)
female had DDR in the background .

"pattern" sables may carry the pattern from a recessive parent - as in a black and tan
breeding to a sable .

great sturdy dog -- impressive

·
Registered
856 Posts
Welcome to the club, where everyone is convinced your dog is one of those "Belgian something or others..."! I get asked all the time, even by GSD people, if my girl is a mix between a GSD and a Mal - or better yet, they ask if she's a Dutchie because she has a "brindle coat", hah.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Actually a rather rare coloring (red sable) you lucked out haha
Not rare, just sable. Sable is sable, whatever descriptors we add it's all sable. Just like black and tan/black and red. It's all technically black and brown.

This particular shade of sable is fairly common around here, much more then the current "soup de jour" black sable.

Either way she is a very beautiful dog with a lovely expressive face, and the photo composition is stunning.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good , strong , in body and expression , GSD .
Colour is not red sable --- Dunkel grau - dark grey , charcoal ,

used to see gewolked on SV descriptions - dunkel grau gewolked , as opposed to
our use of pattern sable.

it sort of gives a clue to ghe colour genetics. I have a DDR import that is similar to
this dogs colour . I wouldn't be surprised if the OP's strong (almost masculine headed)
female had DDR in the background .

"pattern" sables may carry the pattern from a recessive parent - as in a black and tan
breeding to a sable .

great sturdy dog -- impressive
Thank you, I do believe she has DDR in her background, not that I know any facts for sure, just based on my own research. Her mom is sable but darker and her browns aren't as red, as far as daf I've only seen a headshot, but some people I've shown his picture to think hes Czech.

Thess are pictures of her mom and dad

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also have people asking about her breed because of her tongue, as it's actually more black than pink. People will say she must have chow (which I think is funny) I've seen GSDs with black spots but just not too her extent. From what I've read GSDs are one of the breeds where black in the tongue is not uncommon, anyone elses dogs have this?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
I have had a few with spots on the tongue and two who had lots of black on their tongues. Little tip, take photos of them, they make great identification.
My Sabi girl was taught to show her tongue on command. In Canada the police/RCMP will only get involved in dog theft if you can positively id your dog without trespassing on the property it is on. I guess the simple fact that if I yelled TONGUE she opened her mouth would have id'd her,lol, but the black markings were proof positive without me ever putting a hand on her.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have had a few with spots on the tongue and two who had lots of black on their tongues. Little tip, take photos of them, they make great identification.
My Sabi girl was taught to show her tongue on command. In Canada the police/RCMP will only get involved in dog theft if you can positively id your dog without trespassing on the property it is on. I guess the simple fact that if I yelled TONGUE she opened her mouth would have id'd her,lol, but the black markings were proof positive without me ever putting a hand on her.
We're in BC Canada ??... Did someone try to steal your dog!?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good gravy! That is one gorgeous dog! I am in no way an expert on GSDs (unless you count my knowing very poor breeding, coupled with a plethora of physical and mental issues with a single dog) but the pros here say pure, she's pure. Those pics are fabulous, coffee table book worthy.
Haha thank you! Im definitely guilty of taking some of my favorites from our Instagram account! @k9junoGSD if your on the gram ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Actually a rather rare coloring (red sable) you lucked out haha
Not rare, just sable. Sable is sable, whatever descriptors we add it's all sable. Just like black and tan/black and red. It's all technically black and brown.

This particular shade of sable is fairly common around here, much more then the current "soup de jour" black sable.

Either way she is a very beautiful dog with a lovely expressive face, and the photo composition is stunning.
Thank you!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A lot of people don't realize sable or anything other color besides Black and Tan are colors that GSDs can be. Along with everybody thinking GSDs are supposed to be l-xl breeds instead of medium-large. So it's probably more about lack of knowledge than your pup who is gorgeous by the way!
Thanks! I suspected this was a huge part of the issue as when I tell people that she's only GSD, there reaction is usually something along the lines of " I've never seen one with those colors"

1 - 20 of 31 Posts