German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

We have a 6 month old puppy and she has been nothing but a handful. We got her from a co-worker of my husband who had an oops litter. Since day one we have struggled with her. She is very smart and has her good days. But the hard/bad days way out number the good days. She was very food aggressive when we got her but we seemed to have solved that issues. But now we are having issues getting her to stop chewing things up, breaking out of her kennel, being a little to aggressive with out other dog when it comes to toys and bones. I know she is just a puppy but we thought we would be able to get at least a few things stopped by now. Some days she is great and we feel like she's finally catching on and things are getting better and then some days its like we are back at square one. We have bungee corded her kennel so the doors cant open and she cant pull the sides apart and tonight she figured out how to get the bungee cords off and got the kennel apart again. Any ideas, tips or tricks that have worked for some of you would be greatly appreciated! Im so frustrated and out of ideas. Thank you!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hello Everyone,

We have a 6 month old puppy and she has been nothing but a handful. We got her from a co-worker of my husband who had an oops litter. Since day one we have struggled with her. She is very smart and has her good days. But the hard/bad days way out number the good days. She was very food aggressive when we got her but we seemed to have solved that issues. But now we are having issues getting her to stop chewing things up, breaking out of her kennel, being a little to aggressive with out other dog when it comes to toys and bones. I know she is just a puppy but we thought we would be able to get at least a few things stopped by now. Some days she is great and we feel like she's finally catching on and things are getting better and then some days its like we are back at square one. We have bungee corded her kennel so the doors cant open and she cant pull the sides apart and tonight she figured out how to get the bungee cords off and got the kennel apart again. Any ideas, tips or tricks that have worked for some of you would be greatly appreciated! Im so frustrated and out of ideas. Thank you!
First off, dont get discouraged, puppies are a handful. You may want to look into getting a break out proof kennel. There are some good heavy duty kennels out there like gunner kennels and impact dog crates, though you will have to pay more for those. As far as the resource guarding, you need to teach fast that you own those toys and bones and she has no right to act that way. I would correct any signs of aggression with the toys and anytime she is sharing them well or not guarding, you need to mark and reward her for the good behavior. Good luck!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Puppies can be a handful. I would definitely consult a trainer that is familiar with the breed. Katsu makes a lot of noise (growls, barks, grumbles) when she plays with my Shiba. They jaw spar right under my computer chair.

I would be careful about correcting the resource guarding, if that is what it is. You don't want to make a problem worse. I am hesitant to advise on that other than - feed separate if you think it's an issue. Make sure each has their own "treat/bone/bully stick/etc." At first I did have to correct if Katsu took Kalbi's from him and also had hers, by taking the one she wasn't actively chewing on and giving it to him. I don't think it has caused any issues, but to be sure - a trainer familiar with the breed (and preferably resource guarding).

What kind of crate do you use? A simple wire crate or an airline crate? Impact Crates are a good option. I'm hesitant on Gunnar Kennels for long term crating (in the house and not travelling) as they tend to run on the smaller size. Both are rather pricey, but I've heard good things for both. I use a Rough Tough in my car. Considered Gunnar Kennels but the cost of the Kennel plus shipping was out of my budget. Maybe in a few months I'll reconsider.

Reactions: tc68

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Go to Leerburg.com and read/watch all kinds of videos and articles on how to handle working breed and other puppies.

Reactions: Sunsilver

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
How are you going about training her? Purely positive often does not work for dogs like the German shepherd. They need to be told "NO", especially when puppies!

She will soon be entering the adolescent stage, and things are going to get a LOT harder (think teenagers!) You need to get a handle on this NOW!

If money is a problem re. crating her, the plastic crates work a lot better than the metal ones.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Miles of walking, during which she is interacting with you, and also daily brain work (obedience, puzzles, games) of some kind will help.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Here's what I would suggest, change your perspective. Raising a puppy isn't about "stopping things you don't like", it's about teaching her the things you do like, with a HUGE emphasis on TEACHING! For the most part, your dog wants to make you, and herself, happy! Use that to guide her toward good behaviors, and simply ignore or gently dissuade undesirable ones.

Six months is an age where puppies often start challenging your authority. It goes away pretty quickly, but it does require you to be very consistent. Don't ever issue a command that you're not prepared to follow through on. That doesn't mean that you need to be harsh, and actually quite the opposite. What you need to do is first and foremost control yourself! If your dog is distracted, or doing something she shouldn't be, don't issue a command, just calmly walk over and leash her. If there are other dogs or kids or people around, it's a bad time to tell your puppy to sit, because she's unlikely to do it without a struggle...so don't go there, don't try!

On chewing things, it sounds to me like your dog (a) may not be getting enough exercise, or (b) doesn't have enough things that are okay for her to chew on. When my puppy was that age, our house was littered with milk jugs and soda or juice bottles. The great thing about these is they don't cost you a dime, and the puppy will love biting them! Just keep an eye for when the bottles start getting shredded, and swap them out with new recyclables. My puppy loved them!

·
Registered
52 Posts
My Macey was breaking out of her wire crate and chewing through bungee cords also.....I started adding a few carabiner clips to secure the door and that held her in...she doesn't even try to get out now .....I think lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts