German Shepherds Forum banner

Pure bred? Can’t tell

7K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  tysonsingh 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I really enjoy reading this forum and it’s been so helpful in just the short four days we’ve had our little pup. Sheba is 8 wks old and was only 4 lbs when we got her...basically a rescue. Poor thing had lice and worms and itched like crazy but has gotten so much better since we got her. She wasn’t underfed and looked healthy, but 4lbs seems small for her age? She’s already put on 1+ lbs since Monday though. Also the white tipped paws and how her fur isn’t quite as fluffy as most GSD puppies I’ve seen makes me think she’s not purebred. Thoughts? I’ll add a picture of her supposed parents which I was told were pure but I didn’t meet them so don’t know for sure. The first picture of her was just after a bath so her fur is still wet

See less See more
#3 ·
Purebred German Shepherd puppies can have white on their chin, feet and chest. However, something is off with your girl, also it seems like the white extends underneath her chest to her belly, is that right? 4lbs is exceptionally light, obviously she had the health issues you mentioned, but I'm still not sure about the feasibility of a GSD really being 4lbs at 8 weeks. She might be younger than you think like already mentioned though. She is very cute! :)

#6 ·
My husband thought the same thing about her being younger...but she has all her puppy teeth already so I’m not sure. I tried to take a picture of the white on her chest but she’s not quite fond of the camera yet lol. I’m going to weigh her tonight because she seems to have put on quite a bit since we got her Monday so it’s possible she just wasn’t getting fed much before. And thank you! We think she’s cute as a button, purebred or not. She slept in her crate all night last night without whining and I’ve never been so proud ?

Attachments

#7 ·
She is a pretty girl. Usually the white fades or even disappears as they age.

I'm totally guessing that your pup is half German shepherd, and half something else, possibly Austrailian shepherd- as the tri color ones have very similar markings. But only time will tell. Or genetic testing.

That would be a decent mix, if so- two herding breeds usually turn out OK. Enjoy her!

#11 · (Edited)
Everyone else also kept saying she might be younger than we were told but now she’s exactly 3 months (according to what we know) and up to 14.4 lbs when the average for a 3mo female GSD is 12.1! And her ears have picked up too right around 12wks so I’m thinking that what we were told for birthdate is correct and that she was just underweight when we got her bc of worms and lice and possible underfeeding. Here’s her now...she’s starting to not fit in my lap anymore she’s so big!

#14 ·
ears can go up as early as 6-7 weeks. some times they stay up for good, but more often they will go up and down until they are finished with teething (around 6 months). that said, if you go through some of the posts in the “ears up” section, it varies greatly with some not standing until close to a year.

ears are not at all an indicator of age.

#21 ·
She is still underweight and size for 3 months but there is a huge difference from when you got her so keep on doing what you are doing. She will eventually haves growth spurt I’m guessing.

my girls below are 3 months old and they are heavier than the average female at their age. Reign on the right is smaller of the two. She weighs about 31 lbs. They are littermates on the same diet, so you can see that every pup grows at different rates. My girl Skye on the left has a little patch of white on her chest that was more visible as a pup. It is starting to fade into the tan that is coming in strong. Also Skye had her ears up at 8 weeks while Reign had hers up at 11weeks.
Clothing Dog German shepherd dog Dog breed Carnivore

this was them at 8 weeks pretty much the same size and weight
Dog Carnivore Comfort Dog breed Flooring

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.