German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I’m looking into buying my first GSD! I’ve found a litter of pups that are mixed (Mom working line, dad show line)
Dad has long hair, mom has plush medium length. Here pics of the potential pups. Can anyone let me know if they’re gonna be long haired or short haired based on these pics?
Also anything specific to look for with new GSD pups (signs, questions). They’re akc and parents both have paperwork.
I attached the pups.. mom (tan and Black) and dad (red/black long hair)
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
857 Posts
Hard to tell at this young age. Puppies....dogs go through changes their whole lives. Go on Instagram or Google. Do a search for GSDs. A lot of people like to post pictures of the changes in the appearance of their dogs. Most of the dogs don't like the same from 5 weeks to 5 months to 5 years. So for us to tell you what they'll look like...tough to say.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
First of all I may be mistaken but both those dogs look longhaired and second of all how old are the parents. I am guessing its mom? Looks really young.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Dads 1.5 years old. moms 19 months old.
That’s really young for both of them. Sounds like a byb situation. I’m guessing there has been no health testing? Have the breeders done anything to prove the breedworthiness of their dogs? If I were looking for a pup, I would not consider this litter. If you do, you are really rolling the dice with both health and temperament.

·
Super Moderator
7,915 Posts
- the three puppies pictured will be long coats.
- dad is a long coat.
- mom is a long coat despite having less of a coat than dad.
- mom does not appear to be of working lines.
- both parents are too young to have been bred.
- I would not purchase.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Dads 1.5 years old. moms 19 months old.

Don't walk away RUN! Neither of those dogs are old enough to be bred, too young to have had hips and elbows done and that just stinks of irresponsible breeding which will leave you with who knows what for a puppy.
Health problems in this breed are a huge risk and temperament problems come from breeders just like this one.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
I was going to suggest that unless there is something significant that you noticed in the demeanor of the parents, I'd be looking elsewhere! My current dog was purchased from a BYB, and it was the temperment and demeanor of the sire that won me over. Without that, I'd have walked away. OP, find a breeder who has done health testing and is not breeding puppies! You'll be glad you did...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was going to suggest that unless there is something significant that you noticed in the demeanor of the parents, I'd be looking elsewhere! My current dog was purchased from a BYB, and it was the temperment and demeanor of the sire that won me over. Without that, I'd have walked away. OP, find a breeder who has done health testing and is not breeding puppies! You'll be glad you did...
Well the pups seem healthy but don’t most? The dad looks healthy as well but he’s young. Mom apparently is very protective of the pups and gets aggressive so I didn’t see Mom. Just vids and pics.
What’re some suggestions. I’m talking to a few other breeders one with a 5 year old Mom and 7 year old dad. Also another one w both parents are 2 years old. They all look to be healthy. I heard it’s better if it’s the first group of pups instead of like the 3rd one.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
First of all I may be mistaken but both those dogs look longhaired and second of all how old are the parents. I am guessing its mom? Looks really young.
She looks like an adolescent. I'd pass on these pups. The mother will teach that aggression to her pups. You cannot see 'health'. Most problems pop up later in life. How much did they ask for the pups?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What’s a good age for the mom to have pups. Most breeders are telling me that dad and Mom around 2 - 2 1/2 years old.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Purebred doesn't mean well bred. The genetic health issues that breeders test for can't be seen, they need to do xrays and have them rated (the parents need to be at least 2 years old to get hips/elbows done). IMO I'd rather get a pup from a dog that's produced before so you can see how their pups turn out. I wouldn't get a pup from this litter.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
Well the pups seem healthy but don’t most? The dad looks healthy as well but he’s young. Mom apparently is very protective of the pups and gets aggressive so I didn’t see Mom. Just vids and pics.
What’re some suggestions. I’m talking to a few other breeders one with a 5 year old Mom and 7 year old dad. Also another one w both parents are 2 years old. They all look to be healthy. I heard it’s better if it’s the first group of pups instead of like the 3rd one.
A couple things I always would look at. First, the temperment of both parents. Pedigrees are good for looking at the lines your dog comes from, but IME the temperment of your puppy will be mostly effected by its parents. If the female in this case is too aggressive for people to even see her...hmm, I'd wonder about that. What was the sire like? Did you like his temperment? If anything at all jumps out at you regarding the demeanor of the parent dogs, I'd look elsewhere. You're going to have this dog with you for over a decade, be cautious!

Another thing I look very closely at is conformation. I'm certainly no expert here, but I try to look very critically at the structure of the parents. Head too small, neck too long? I personally didn't care much for the female's conformation in the photo you posted, and that alone would have been enough for me. She didn't look much like a working line dog, so if you know her pedigree post it here and I'm sure people who know much more about that than I will jump in with comments!

Health is not something you just judge when looking at a dog. Responsible breeders have their dog's hips and elbows x-rayed and rated by OFA. They also test for DM, and other diseases that are prevalent in GSDs to help insure their dogs aren't passing these things on. If a breeder doesn't do this testing, don't do business with them! A good breeder will either post, or at least have, both the OFA rating on hips and elbows and the results of this other testing that they'll freely share with you!

Again, when getting a puppy it's something of a crap shoot. You don't REALLY know until the dog grows up. But dealing with a reputable, and responsible breeder gives you much much much more confidence about what your pup will be like down the road!

Share your general location and I'm sure you'll get several "known" breeders that you can talk to...

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
It’s an old pic of Mom.
Dogs are pedigree. Saw the family line
Purebred does not mean well bred. Papers are just paper.
You should be looking for a breeder that does all appropriate health testing and is doing something positive for the breed.
I would never purchase a puppy from a dam with a poor temperament. And protective of puppies is a lame and over used excuse.
Please let us know what area you are in and what you are looking for in a dog. What you expect from a dog. Someone should be able to help you find a decent breeder.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A couple things I always would look at. First, the temperment of both parents. Pedigrees are good for looking at the lines your dog comes from, but IME the temperment of your puppy will be mostly effected by its parents. If the female in this case is too aggressive for people to even see her...hmm, I'd wonder about that. What was the sire like? Did you like his temperment? If anything at all jumps out at you regarding the demeanor of the parent dogs, I'd look elsewhere. You're going to have this dog with you for over a decade, be cautious!

Another thing I look very closely at is conformation. I'm certainly no expert here, but I try to look very critically at the structure of the parents. Head too small, neck too long? I personally didn't care much for the female's conformation in the photo you posted, and that alone would have been enough for me. She didn't look much like a working line dog, so if you know her pedigree post it here and I'm sure people who know much more about that than I will jump in with comments!

Health is not something you just judge when looking at a dog. Responsible breeders have their dog's hips and elbows x-rayed and rated by OFA. They also test for DM, and other diseases that are prevalent in GSDs to help insure their dogs aren't passing these things on. If a breeder doesn't do this testing, don't do business with them! A good breeder will either post, or at least have, both the OFA rating on hips and elbows and the results of this other testing that they'll freely share with you!

Again, when getting a puppy it's something of a crap shoot. You don't REALLY know until the dog grows up. But dealing with a reputable, and responsible breeder gives you much much much more confidence about what your pup will be like down the road!

Share your general location and I'm sure you'll get several "known" breeders that you can talk to...
Thank you for the info!
I’m in Los Angeles Ca. Am willing to drive an hour or two to a breeder.
I see a few but honestly I can’t afford $5000 upfront for a GSD. Any reputable breeders in the area if you can suggest them, it’d be great. Thank you for all the info

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you for the info!
I’m in Los Angeles Ca. Am willing to drive an hour or two to a breeder.
I see a few but honestly I can’t afford $5000 upfront for a GSD. Any reputable breeders in the area if you can suggest them, it’d be great. Thank you for all the info

5K is an insane price you can easily find well bred GSD'S in the 1500 +- 500 range. At minimum you should REQUIRE hips and elbow and DM certifications of parents, the more generations with the better. AND have proof of these. When i was looking i saw too many breeders claiming to have these certifications but couldn't produce them. Dont take chance with these things you can read endless stories here of people who have been affected by these issue. In my less knowledgeable past, i purchased my fist AKC lab who latter developed hip dysplasia. It is a soul crushing , heart wrenching experience to watch you best friend go through. I though being AKC and having papers meant a well bred dog. It does not.

·
Registered
804 Posts
$5000 upfront for a puppy isn't what you're looking at. $1500-$2000 is probably closer to what you'd expect to see. Also one thing to keep in mind it isn't always a good thing if the breeder owns both parents. Make sure you ask why they are breeding those two dogs, not just because it's easy to breed their two dogs. Thereere is also no reason both dogs have to be the same age. Both dogs should be 2+ but other than that you can see different match ups of ages. And buying a puppy from a dog that has already had a litter or two will let you ask how the puppies turned out.

One thing to keep in mind is that while it is so easy to rush into it (because puppy fever is a thing) you'll likely be happier in the long run if you wait and choose carefully.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts