German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My 16 year old daughter fell in love with my friends german sheppard and she very much wants one of her own. My friend says they are great family dogs and get along with other pets. We are expierenced dog owners, and train as well as show our english bulldogs. However, I have heard from other people that german sheppards can turn on their owners or be unpredictable. I feel that training and breeding have a lot to do with aggression, but I wanted to get the opinion of other german sheppard owners. We have plenty of room and time for one, but I have a 2 year old and we also have a chihuahua and some cats, as well as horses. I would apreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Hi, My 16 year old daughter fell in love with my friends german sheppard and she very much wants one of her own. My friend says they are great family dogs and get along with other pets. We are expierenced dog owners, and train as well as show our english bulldogs. However, I have heard from other people that german sheppards can turn on their owners or be unpredictable. I feel that training and breeding have a lot to do with aggression, but I wanted to get the opinion of other german sheppard owners. We have plenty of room and time for one, but I have a 2 year old and we also have a chihuahua and some cats, as well as horses. I would apreciate any feedback.
False

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
If you are an experienced dog owner/trainer and you're getting a young impressionable puppy, go for it. Shepherds are what you make them. They're just way smarter at what you make them than most other breeds are.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I chose a GSD because they are very smart, eager to learn and they catch on quick. They want to work for YOU, they want to please YOU, they want to be with YOU. They are fast and energetic. They can also be intimidating, which depending on the situation can be a good or bad thing. If you want to have a good GSD then you need to work with them, train them, socialize them to people and other dogs. They come in several colors like black/tan, black/silver, black/red, all black, all white, Panda, dark sable, silver sable, reddish sable, creme or liver. They can have a short stock coat, they could have a medium hair stock coat, or a long coat. So lots of choices!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Do you want a German Shepherd?

Your daughter is 16, will she be leaving for college in 2 years? Why not let her enjoy your friends dog and learn about the breed and then when she is able to commit about 13yrs to the dog let her get one herself?

If you want a GSD then spend some time learning about the breed, figuring out if you can commit to one and then start looking for a reputable breeder or rescue.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
"However, I have heard from other people that german sheppards can turn on their owners or be unpredictable."

If you are an experienced dog owner that trains and shows your own dogs, you should know better than this. You say this is going to be your daughter's dog, but at her age, she's going to be too busy with her friends and soon off to college, so you had better want the dog for yourself. Do you want one? That is the better question?

If you are interested in getting a GSD, it is spelled "shepherd".

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
If and when you start doing more research, just an FYI, but the correct spelling is German Shepherd, not german sheppard. Well it's actually German Shepherd Dog, but you get the point.

You'll probably find more information on the breed if it's spelled correctly.

·
Registered
140 Posts
There are so many false conceptions about german shepherds. Turning on their owners is something that I can confidently say is NOT a trait of a german shepherd. Turning on a stranger walking up your driveway, maybe, especially if you do not socialize them and teach them as puppies. They are the most owner-loyal breed out there.

I have a five year old Golden Doodle and Duke is 18 months. Completely different temperaments, but both loving and kind dogs. The Golden Doodle was born with his temperament, the GSD has needed training and again, socializing to stop him from instinctively protecting his family when he felt anxious about a guest. For us, it was all about strange men. Duke is and was around children and their mom's constantly from the day we brought him home.

Delivery men, like the UPS guy, to this day will not come up my driveway anymore. Golden Doodle he was fine with. GSD, he made an assumption when Duke was a 12lb pup and that was it.

It's funny how everyone who is afraid of GSD's have a story about getting bit as a child or they knew someone.

sorry for the long post, but I feel pretty confident your concern about a GSD turning on it's owner is the last thing I would worry about.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
A well raised, well trained shepherd will NOT be aggressive or turn. My dad got me a shepherd for my 16th bday (which is at the end of this month... early gift :p) and she is great. If you are experienced with dogs and raise it well, it will be a GREAT dog. But shepherds do not turn on their owners.

I have to disagree a bit with Brandi though. I have a plan set up so that I will be able to keep my two dogs with me and still care for them properly when I go to college. Of course, my best friend and I are staying in her Uncle's vacation home while we go to college together so that solves the rent problem.
But I am also better with animals than people and the way teens hang out together can be troublesome for a puppy. Personally I refuse to hang out with my friends unless my dogs can come, but I don't know your daughter so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
537 Posts
My daughter was 6 yrs old when she got her dog...that died last year when she was 24! She is almost done w/ school and wants "her own" dog, but I told her most places to rent don't allow dogs (and GSDs are usually not allowed in places that do rent to owners w/ dogs.) I agree, she is at the age where this is going to be your dog...they are wonderful animals, and you will be endeared for sure. You are wise to research this before hand and be committed to training.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
If you do your research and get a dog from a responsible breeder from great lines, there is not unpredictable behavior and turning on owners.

What I will say is that many of our dogs tend to be way more 'work' than chihuahua's and bulldogs are to raise. Heck, my first dog was a yellow Lab and she was WAY easier then my GSD's.

Meaning I just need to really spend tons of time with my GSD's. And that's not just in the same house/yard/space. I mean really 'with' my GSD's and giving them the tons of exercise, tons of socialization (this is vital so the 'sudden (not sudden at ALL) unpredictable behavior doesn't occur) and real training so our dogs get the structure and leadership they need.

What makes the GSD a great herding/obedience/tracking/police/bomb/drug/military/agility..............dog is their amazing brains and drives. But if we don't spend the time and effort to direct those brains and drives in a direction we want, it can go seriously awry.

If you just need another pet, I wouldn't necessarily recommend a GSD.

·
Registered
149 Posts
In my experience German Shepherds are more likely to lick their owner to death than "turn" on them, they are loyal,loving super intelligent and big cuddly teddy bears that will be forever at your side

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you have to be careful. even though you and your family are
experienced dog owners. you have to be very careful with
german sheppards. german sheppards are a totally different
from German Shepherds. german sheppards do everything a German Shepherd won't. do.

good luck in your search for a german sheppard.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when i was young my neighbors GSD bit me many times.

when i was older my tailors GSD charged me many times.
he only nipped me twice.

in high school a friend of mines GSD came
after us every morning when we went to his house
on our way to school. my buddy told the
dog to "get um" every morning.

It's funny how everyone who is afraid of GSD's have a story about getting bit as a child or they knew someone.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
in high school a friend of mines GSD came
after us every morning when we went to his house
on our way to school. my buddy told the
dog to "get um" every morning.
If you had a friend who had his dog go after you and your friends every morning, why did you keep going to his house?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
there was no if. my friends GSD went after
me and my friends every morning. every morning
we stopped by friends house on our way to school so
he could join us.

the dog only went after us after my buddie told her to "get um".

why do you do what you do when you're in
high school???? :)

If you had a friend who had his dog go after you and your friends every morning, why did you keep going to his house?

·
Registered
140 Posts
all the more reason we need to be responsible owners :)

See when I was a kid, people treated dogs differently and I think this is why people raised "mean" dogs. Dogs either roamed freely around the neighborhood, OR, you had the GSD trapped in a fenced back yard all day that wanted out and when it did, it was mad at the world!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts