German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 10 week old male GSD pup. I have waited a long to have him and he is absolutely wonderful.

Here's my newest question. Best way to teach pup to swim in the pool?

Tucker has been in a few times. Its important to me that regardless of whether he chooses to get in, he knows how to get out. So I have carried him in a few times and "helped" him swim to the stairs. Sometimes when we are swimming, he gets very worried about us. He is almost always very brave in new situations and I've never seen him startled or fearful of anything (well, cows a little but I promised him I wouldn't tell anyone...we're getting better ;) But today he got so anxious when I was swimming, when I went under he jumped in. I helped him to the side and it was obvious he wished he'd have thought through his decision a bit more carefully :D but he continued to get worried every time I got in. I don't want him to be scared of swimming, so when it escalated to almost jumping in again, I got out.

I DO NOT want to set him up for chronic anxiety over this as I want him to enjoy water in all forms. My first instinct was to comfort him (I'm a mom too :rolleyes:) but I know that isn't the right response.It is obvious he is worried about me on some level, and I'm glad he is paying attention...never know with kids around when that might prove useful, but I'd like him to learn the difference between swimming and something wrong.

Should I continue to have him at the pool with me? Or crate him when I'm swimming? Is it wrong to continue to put him in occasionally to learn how to get out? Or will this create more fear? When he jumped in I wasn't expecting it so he briefly went under but I got to him quickly.

Also, how do I deal with water in his ears if that happens (he has ginormous ears). That's never been a problem with my older labX.

Thank you :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Tucker is young and the pool is deep. So I would swim with him for a bit, and then it would be time for him to rest in his crate. I would also use a doggie life jacket. For water in the ears, I would check with the vet.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Riley is 8 months old (tomorrow) the doggy life jacket is very helpful in giving him the confidence to swim. Yesterday he even went off the steps on his own, but his main goal is to circle and go back to the steps. It was a lot easier teaching my smaller dogs...lol.

Riley in his life jacket:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all :)

We actually talked about a life jacket last night. We are headed to the beach in a few weeks so I knew we'd get him one...going to get one this afternoon. He is such a clumsy swimmer :D he tries to splash all of the water from the pool. A life jacket probably would make both of our lives easily. Then I wouldn't have to worry so much about his unplanned entries and getting to him so quickly. I am having so much fun with him...already thinking years ahead to my next one :eek: much to my husbands dismay. Just like Lays potato chips I suppose...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts