German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I would stop with the treats for a couple of days. Give him his meal. If it isn't eaten after say 15 minutes, pick it up and give him NOTHING except water until the next meal.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Personally I would give it at least a couple of days as long as he is acting normally and peeing and pooping normally and not throwing up. (Other than that 1 time.) He may also be trying to "hold out" for the other puppys food. My thought is that if he was "sick" he wouldn't eat the "treats" either.

Also, has he been getting 4 cups all along or is that less than he was getting when he was younger (say a month or 2 ago)? He is 6 1/2 months old and may be getting to the age where he doesn't need as much as when he was younger. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he should go from 4 cups to 1/2 a cup a day. But as puppies get out of the baby puppy stage and closer to the "teenager" stage, they tend to need less food, since they aren't growing as fast.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Yep, what it says on the bag is just a "guideline". Some pups/dogs will need more than the "recommended amount" to stay at the correct weight, others will need less. You need to go by how the dogs weight is, rather than just going by what the bag says.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.